Interlocking Squares Quilt Pattern

Interlocking squares

Interlocking squares quilt

For this Interlocking Squares quilt I have begun with the interlocking squares quilt block and then surrounded it with Millwheel quilt blocks.  I’ve used pink and blue which are not my usual colour choices and have decided that I should be more adventurous in my fabric choices.  The quilt measures 52″ square and I have used 1.1/4 yards of light pink fabric, 1/2 yard of dark pink, together with 1.1/2 yards of dark blue and 3/4 yard of light blue.  As usual you can buy these fabrics at a discount in this week’s special offer.

The quilt blocks are all 16″ square finished size – one interlinked squares block and eight millwheel blocks.

Completed quilt blocks

Completed quilt blocks

Cutting requirements for the interlocking squares quilt

4.7/8″ squares:  sixty four light pink, thirty two dark blue, sixteen light pink, sixteen dark pink

2.1/2″ squares:  eight dark blue, four light blue, four dark pink

2.7/8″ squares:  two each in dark pink and light blue, two each in dark pink and light pink, four each in light pink and light blue, four each in light pink and dark blue

4.1/2″ by 2.1/2″ rectangles:  two light blue

6.1/2″ by 2.1/2″ rectangles:  four dark blue

8.1/2″ by s.1/2″ rectangles:  two light blue

For the border you will need to cut five 2.1/2″ strips of dark blue across the width of fabric.

Make half square triangles

Make half square triangles

Make the millwheel quilt blocks

Use the 4.7/8″ squares to make half square triangles in the colour combinations listed above.  Place two squares with right sides together and mark a line along the diagonal.  Sew a 1/4″ square either side of the marked line and cut along the line.  This gives you two half square triangles which are now 4.1/2″ squares.  Press the seam allowances towards the darker fabric and clip the two corners where fabric sticks out.

Millwheel block layout

Millwheel block layout

Lay these squares out in four rows of four.  Begin with four light pink/dark pink half square triangles in the middle.  Lay these so that the dark pink triangles form a diamond in the middle.  On each edge of this central square place a dark blue/pink and a light blue/pink half square triangle.  Lay these so that the pink triangles together form a larger light pink triangle pointing towards the middle.  Now add a dark blue/light pink half square triangle in each corner with the pink on the outside.  Check that the dark blue triangles come together in pairs to make larger blue triangles.

Sew the squares together across each row and then sew the rows to each other to complete the block.  It measures 16.1/2″ square at this stage and you need to make eight of them.

Central area

Central area

Make the interlocking squares quilt block

For this block I have made half square triangles using the 3.7/8″ squares made in the same way as those above.  Begin with two 8.1/2″ light blue strips in the middle.  Place a 4.1/2″ light blue strip above and below with a light blue/light pink half square triangle in each corner of this central area.  Place these so that the pink is on the outside.

First frame

First frame

Now add the first frame.  Across the top lay one light blue square followed by a light blue/dark pink  half square triangle, one dark pink square, one dark pink/light pink half square triangle, one light pink/light blue half square triangle and finish with a light blue square.  Notice that the dark pink patches form a mountain shape.  Repeat this sequence down the right hand side, across the bottom and up the left hand side of the block.

Complete layout

Complete layout

The final frame is very simple.  On the top and bottom rows place a 6.1/2″ dark blue strip on each end with a pair of dark blue/light pink half square triangles in the middle.  Place these so that the light pink triangles form a larger pink triangle pointing away from the middle.

On the sides place a pair of dark blue squares at each end with the pair of dark blue/light pink half square triangles in the middle.

Sew the squares together across each row and then sew the rows to each other to complete the interlocking squares quilt block.  This now measures 16.1/2″ square and you just need to make the one.

Rows one and three

Rows one and three

Assemble the quilt

Sew the blocks together in three rows of three.  Rows one and three are simply three millwheel blocks sewn together in a row.

Row two

Row two

In row two place a millwheel block at each end with an interlocking squares quilt block in the middle.

Sew the blocks together across each row and then sew the rows to each other.

Blue border

Blue border

Add the border

Using the 2.1/2″ strips of dark blue, make two lengths of 48.1/2″ for the top and bottom and two lengths of 52.1/2″ for the sides.

That completes the interlocking squares quilt top.  It is now ready for layering, quilting and binding.  Full details of these steps can be found in the quilting for beginners section.

Sitges quilt show 2019

Sitges quilt show 2019

Recently I visited the Sitges quilt show in Spain.  Quilt shows in other countries always have a different feel to them – as well as gorgeous quilts.  To see my photos of the show click on the photo or click here.

Recently the Sewing Quarter TV channel invited me to design and demonstrate for them.  I designed a quilt that I have called Floral Dance and I’ll be demonstrating it for them on Thursday 25th April.  If you can’t find their channel then there is always youtube.

Comments

1. Jean Tillotson says:

Congratulations, I look forward to watching you on TV

You are becoming famous. Well more than you are already. Hope the demo will be on you tube because I doubt we will get the channel. Love the quilt and the colours they go very well together. Have been busy but not quilting. Getting ready for Easter We do it up big as we have lots of traditions.

Thank you for the tour .You know I love when you share the trips you are on. Thank you for including me.

Hope you had a great weekend and Happy Quilting and Happy Easter.

• Hi Sandra. I know that Sewing Quarter to put the demonstrations on youtube. I should have more details about that next time I write. Hope you have a wonderful Easter celebration – you obviously make a lot more of it than I do.

3. Carol Tambourine says:

What great news Rose. I hope you really enjoy it. Will watch it.

4. Sue Ross says:

Can you tell us what time it will be on Sewing Quarter please. Yet another lovely quilt thanks.

• Hi Sue. I’ve asked them for times and they haven’t replied yet. I’ll let you know as soon as I know.

5. Sandra Gingell says:

Lovely pattern this week,so pleased you enjoyed Sitges, when we retired we toured France and Spain, spent 6months in Villanova il la Gertrude and visited Sitges And Barcelona at least twice weekly.The quilting show then was in various marquees along the prom in Sitges,fabulous. Barcelona also fabulous. Keep the patterns coming ,thoroughly enjoy.

• Hi Sandra. That must have been a lovely 6 months. I agree that Sitges and Barcelona are both lovely. Part of the Sitges show was still in marquees along the beach – but with plenty of other venues as well My next set of photos will be of the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona – I was totally thunderstruck by that.

I love the way this quilt has so much movement.
    Delighted you are on the sewing quarter.
    Don’t have the channel but will see it on you tube.
    The photos from the quilt shows are very interesting.
    Thank you for your generosity in sharing with us.
    Have a sew happy week-end.

• Thanks, Mary. I was pleased with the way the quilt turned out. It was lovely to see both the different quilts and the different traders at the quilt show. Definitely one that I’d like to go to another year.

7. So pleased to read of the good news that you will be on the Sewing Quarter.
    Will put the date up on the calendar as I want to watch you.
    Your travels too were very interesting and thank you for the photos.
    Olive in a bitterly cold Suffolk

8. Carol S. says:

Hi Rose. I am Carol from the U.S. I always look forward to your e-mails, your directions are always so easy to follow. It’s so nice too that you share photos of all your travels, so interesting! Congrats on being on the TV channel!

• Hi Carol. Thanks for your kind comments. I’m glad that I’m able to travel and share my travels – the Sitges quilt show was a wonderful experience.

Will the demonstration be shown on YouTube? I’ll be eager to view the outcome.
    I love, love, love your quilt and the color combination. Enjoyed the Sitges Quilt Show. I roll my eyes when I think of all the effort and time it took to quilt these beautiful works of art.
    Lots of tests on my neck and I was encouraged by the results of the epidural that I had 2 days ago. The result was very favorable and the next step is a follow up visit next month with my neurosurgeon to see what he has to say.

• Hi Claire. Yes, Sewing Quarter are definitely on youtube. I’m not sure how soon that would be after the event, but can try and find out. Glad you like the quilt – I don’t use pink very often but it gives a soft look to the quilt, doesn’t it?
      So glad that your test results were favourable – hope your neurosurgeon has good news for you next month.

10. NSONGA mitsino Bienvenue says:

Que dire de ce beau travail sinon magnifique bravo pour de le partager avec nous 😚

11. Laura Horn says:

I am looking forward to seeing you in the tv Rose! Very exciting!