New Dawn Wall Hanging – Free Pattern

New Dawn Wall Hanging

New Dawn Wall Hanging

My New Dawn wall hanging is designed to welcome in the New Year.  I thought I’d go for a small project as I’m sure you are as busy with Christmas preparations as I am. My intention is to give you ideas for your own simple wall hangings.  If you want to make the same wall hanging then I am offering it as a kit – with the applique fabrics already backed with Mistyfuse.  Click here for details.

Today is the shortest day of the year so now we can look forward to longer days and all the promise of a new year.  The wall hanging measures 24″ square and I have broadly used scraps to make it.

Cut the fabrics

Cut the fabrics

Cutting requirements for the New Dawn wall hanging

One 15″ blue square

10.5/8″ squares:  one purple, two green grass (only if your fabric has a direction as mine does)

One 4.1/2″ white square backed with fusible interfacing

Scraps of pink and purple fabric – I actually cut 10″ by 4″ rectangles, backed them with fusible interfacing and then cut them into wavy strips for the clouds

For the border you will need either two or three 2.1/2″ strips of a light fabric cut across the width of fabric.

Add the sun and clouds

Add the sun and clouds

Prepare the applique

I have used Mistyfuse to back the white, pink and purple fabrics, but any fusible interfacing will do.  This means that you can place the applique shapes and then move them around.  When you’re happy with the placements you can press them in place.

Cut a circle from the white square for the sun.  Use the pink and purple fabrics to make wavy strips to represent the morning sunrise clouds.  I have placed the blue square on point so that it looks like a diamond.  Place the sun slightly to one side and extending slightly over the edge of the blue square.  Press.

Place the triangles

Place the triangles

Add the triangles

I have used purple triangles for the night sky and green triangles for the ground.  Make these by cutting 10.5/8″ squares along one diagonal.  For the purple triangles I needed one square only but for the green triangles I needed two squares so that the grass would point in the right direction.

Sew two triangles in place

Sew two triangles in place

Sew opposite purple and green triangles in place.  Press them open and then sew the remaining two triangles in place.

Add the border

Add the border

Add the border

I used 2.1/2″ strips of a lighter fabric for the border.  You’ll need two lengths of 20.1/2″ for the top and bottom and two lengths of 24.1/2″ for the sides.  Do measure your wall hanging first before you cut the border strips.

Now you can layer the wall hanging with wadding and backing fabric ready for quilting.  I used 26″ squares of backing fabric and wadding.

Quilt the middle first

Quilt the middle first

Quilt the New Dawn wall hanging

I had decided that I wanted some gold in the clouds.  Instead of adding yellow fabric I decided to quilt with yellow thread.  I have quilted with wavy lines going across the blue diamond.  I used these lines to sew down the cloud shapes as well as to represent cloud shapes themselves.

Quilting the sun's rays

Quilting the sun’s rays

Next, still using yellow thread, I quilted around the edge of the sun using the stemstitch embroidery stitch on my sewing machine.  Having secured the sun, I then used fabric marker to draw lines radiating from the edge of the sun to the edges of the blue diamond.  I quilted along these lines using yellow thread and still using the stemstitch embroidery.

Quilt the triangles

Quilt the triangles

Finally for the triangles outside the blue diamond I used my favourite quilting filler.  This is just a loop going from the base to the top of the triangle and then a further loop on either side of that central loop.  I think that it gives quite an effective corner to a wall hanging.

That completes the New Dawn wall hanging.  You can just see in the last photo that I have sewn the binding to the wall hanging but have not yet had time to flip the binding and sew it to the back of the wall hanging.

It just remains for me to wish you a wonderful Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year.  Thanks for all your support during this last year – it’s been wonderful hearing from you and being able to share my designs with you.

Abbey Cwm Hir Hall

Abbey Cwm Hir Hall

Just one last travel article of the year – and it’s very fitting.  I visited a hall in Wales with 52 rooms, each one decorated with a tree and a different Christmas theme.  To see my photos click here or click on the photo.

Comments

1. I hope you had a wonderful CHRISTMAS, Miss Rose and wish you a wonder, prosperous, creative year. I Sam always excited to receive your beautiful work and your tour pictures. Thank you for thouhful, warm and generous heart.
    Barbara, TN. USA,

2. Maureen Williams says:

Rose, thank you for all the designs and I wish you an d yours a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year in 2019 Mo in Spading

3. Jeri Niksich says:

Rose I love it when you send out a video! When I find myself in a slump not doing any sewing you videos give me a lot of incentive to get back at my piecing. Thanks so much for all you do!
    Jeri in Sunny Texas

4. Thanks for your endless supply of ideas, they will keep me going for the months to come!
    Best wishes to you and yours for a great Christmas and a happy, healthy 2019.

5. Thanks for the wall hanging block.

6. Simone Richards says:

Beautiful Project. Thank you. Merry Christmas and a Peaceful New Year Rose and to your family.

7. Alma Johnson says:

Rose wanting to wish you a very Merry Christmas from across the pond, in Nova Scotia. Thank you for all the effort you put into your patterns for us and fort night is good for me too, even once a month would be fabulous. I hope jolly Old Saint Nick finds his way to your home and brings you lots of quilting items. All the best in 2019!

8. Bea Donald says:

Rose –I enjoy your site–look forward to it every Friday–Hope you have a good Christmas and prosperous New Year–Don,t eat to many cookies but do enjoy your self—all the from Saskatchewan Canada–Merry Christmas

9. Merry Christmas Rose and a wonderful 2019 (with your continued sharing of ideas for us) 😀.
    While you had the shortest day of the year, we had the longest in Australia. Cold, wet and windy didn’t do it justice! here in Victoria. But for Christmas week we are expecting temperatures from 33 to 36 cel.

• Hi Judi. The hailstones in Sydney even made the news over here. Who would have thought that hail could do so much damage. I know that our days won’t get noticeably longer for a few weeks yet, but in my mind I know that we’re on the way to spring.

10. Sandra Deeley says:

Best wishes for a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

11. Judy Warren says:

Rose, you always post such neat quilts! Thank-you!!

Thankyou for sharing your tour with me. The trees were amazing. The most trees I’ve ever had is 4. It must take them a while to decorate but it certainly is worth it. You must have spent the whole day there and probably could have stayed longer to get the full effect. Thank you for all that you discover and for sharing it.
    Have a great holiday and Happy Healthy New Year.

• Thanks, Sandra. Yes, it certainly was quite a long visit – well worth the travelling needed to get there. I only have one tree and that’s plenty enough for me to decorate!

Love this wall hanging. Looking through my stash to see what kind of fabrics I have to make this now for the New Year. Thank you for all that you do bringing such interesting things to me all year. Thank you for this gift that you have and share. Merry Christmas to you and your family. Enjoy the holiday and stay well and warm. Happy New Year to you also.
    Have a great weekend and a Merry Christmas and Happy Healthy New Year.
    Happy Quilting in the new year. Thank you for all you do.

14. Susanne Bell says:

Thanks so much, Rose. I just love your idea’s and video’s. I also just love to hear about your travels.

15. Bev Austin says:

Thank you Rose for another cute pattern, I am wishing you the most wonderful and Merry Christmas to you and yours.. GOD BLESS

16. Karen Vander Ven says:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Rose. Thanks for all your wonderful patterns you share. I am a relatively new quilter, and enjoy all your wonderful patterns. You are a great inspiration to all of us.

17. Carole Whitlock says:

Many thanks Rose for another super project and fascinating article on your recent travels, how on earth do you find the time to do all the design work and instructions for us all to share and still visit such interesting places – super woman maybe? Best wishes for a very Merry Christmas and the happiest New Year. Carole from Wokingham

• Thanks so much, Carole. That was why I had to change from weekly emails to fortnightly emails – there just weren’t enough hours in the day and I ended up stressing rather than enjoying making projects.

18. Arleen Salmon says:

Thank you, Rose, for a year’s worth of your creating and sharing with us all the delightful projects.

19. Carol Williams says:

I would like to wish you a “Happy Christmas” Rose and send you good wishes for 2019.
    Thank you for sharing all your lovely patterns and expertise this year. It is always a treat to receive an email from you with something new to create and to see all the interesting places you visit. Many thanks. Xx

20. Cute little wall hanging. Thank you. Merry Christmas to you too.