Four Corners Star Quilt Pattern

Four corners star quilt

Four corners star quilt

I’ve used three different blocks to create the Four Corners star quilt pattern.  The central block contains a star and then I have created a second star around it.  The quilt measures 60″ square, using 1.1/2 yards each of light blue and white with 2.1/4 yards of dark blue and 3/4 yard of yellow fabric.  I have made nine blocks which are all 18″ square finished size.

The central block is known as the four corners quilt block – I didn’t give the quilt its name based on the fact that it has four corners!  The blocks are all large which means that it is a very simple and quick quilt to make.

Completed four corners quilt block

Completed four corners quilt block

Cutting requirements for the four corners star quilt

3.1/2″ squares:  four dark blue, four yellow

6.1/2″ by 3.1/2″ rectangles:  six dark blue

3.7/8″ squares:  four each in yellow and white, four each in dark blue and white

9.1/2″ by 18.1/2″ rectangles:  four light blue

9.7/8″ squares:  four yellow, four white

18.7/8″ squares:  two light blue, two white

For the border you will need to cut six 3.1/2″ strips of dark blue across the width of fabric.

Make half square triangles

Make half square triangles

Make the half square triangle units

Use the 3.7/8″ and the 9.7/8″ squares to make half square triangle units.  Place two squares with right sides together and mark a line along the diagonal.  Sew a 1/4″ seam either side of the marked line and cut along the line.  This will produce two half square triangle units which are now either 3.1/2″ or 9.1/2″ squares.  Press the seam allowances towards the darker fabric and trim the two corners where fabric sticks out.

First stage of layout

First stage of layout

Four corners quilt block

I am showing the layout in two stages for the sake of clarity. Lay two blue rectangles in the middle.  Place a pair of small yellow/white half square triangles on each edge of this central area.  Lay these so that the two yellow triangles together form a larger yellow triangle pointing away from the middle.  Place a yellow square in each corner of this section.

Four corners quilt block layout

Four corners quilt block layout

Now add the outer frame of this block.  Place a blue rectangle in each corner.  Between these place a pair of dark blue/white half square triangles in the middle of each edge.  Note that the two blue triangles together form a larger dark blue triangle pointing towards the middle.  In rows two and five place a dark blue square at each end.

Sew the patchwork pieces together across each row and then sew the rows to each other to complete the block.

The block measures 18.1/2″ square at this stage and you need to make one only.

Second block layout

Second block layout

Make the second block

This is a very simple block.  Place two large yellow/white half square triangles so that the white triangles lie together to form a larger white triangle pointing down.

Above these place a light blue rectangle.  Sew the half square triangles together and then sew them to the blue rectangle.  This block also measures 18.1/2″ square and you need to make four of them.

Completed corner block

Completed corner block

Make the corner blocks

The corner blocks are very large half square triangle units.  I haven’t made these in pairs as I did for the smaller units.  Simply cut an 18.7/8″ square along one diagonal and then sew a light blue and a white triangle together.

This block measures 18.1/2″ square and you need to make four of them.

Row one

Row one

Assemble the four corners star quilt

Sew the blocks together in three rows of three.  Make the first row with a corner block at each end and a block two in the middle.  Place the corner blocks so that the light blue triangles are on the outside, forming the corners of the quilt.

Row two

Row two

Form row two with the four corners star block in the middle and a block two on either side.  Place these so that the yellow triangles lie against the central block.

Row three

Row three

Finally make row three with a corner block at each end and a block two in the middle.  This time place the yellow triangles at the top of the block.

Sew the blocks together across each row and then sew the rows to each other.

Add the border

Add the border

Use 3.1/2″ strips of dark blue fabric for the border.  You’ll need two lengths of 54.1/2″ for the top and bottom, with two lengths of 60.1/2″ for the sides.

That completes the four corners star quilt top.  It is now ready for layering, quilting and binding.  Full details of these steps can be found in the beginner quilting section.

Oxford High Street

Oxford High Street

Last week I paid an overnight visit to Oxford, commonly known as the city of dreaming spires.

The buildings are absolutely beautiful and this photo shows the entrance to one of the colleges.  Unfortunately the colleges that I went past weren’t open to visitors.

Bodleian Library reading room

Bodleian Library reading room

I don’t think that this building is actually on a slope, so I’m not sure how I managed to take a photo making it look like  a leaning tower.  I think that it’s the reading room for the Bodleian Library which was just on my right as I took this photo.

As usual I haven’t had time to sort out all the photos, but I’ll make sure to get the Oxford and Blenheim Palace photos ready for next Friday.

Comments

1. Itzadebbything says:

Rose you inspire me….I cannot get over how dedicated you are to get a blog out so regularly. Well done….

• Thanks so much. Sometimes it involves some late nights and early mornings, but I enjoy sending out patterns to other quilters.

I cannot seem to get my messages to you I have been trying for 3 weeks now but it does not go through. I am getting frustrated I want to thank you for sending the patterns even if I can’t respond Happy Quilting

• Thank you, Sandra. Your comments are coming through this end. They don’t appear on the website at once because I have to approve them manually and I may not be at my computer when your comment comes through. I really do appreciate the way you comment every week.

Everytime I try to write something it comes back to me or does not go through. I have not forgotten you and I do love getting all your quilt patterns and your adventures. My computer has been acting up and we do not want to get a new one as this one is not that old. The patterns are wonderful and I have been thinking about which to do but I lack the get up and go
    to do it. Have a great weekend and enjoy your looking at the photos you have taken.
    Happy Quilting

• Hi Sandra. Your comments are coming through. I’m sorry if it’s telling you something different at your end, but I still receive your comments each week – and they are all appreciated!

How do you come up with all these beautiful patterns week after week – year after year? It’s so much watching you put them together step by step.
    I’ve had it with the snow! We’ve had nothing but nor’easter after nor’easter and expecting another on Monday the day before the first day of spring.
    It’s sunny out but very cold and windy. Good day to stay in.

• Hi Claire. Like you, I’ve had it with snow. We woke up to several inches of it this morning and there’s a bitter cold coming in from the east. Roll on spring. Hope you’re keeping warm and safe.

5. Irena Mangone says:

Thank you Rose. For another quilt. And your photos. Have a Great week

• Thanks, Irena. I’m sure you’re glad that you’re well away from our blizzards – I envy you your sunshine.

6. Rose how do you keep coming up with such nice quilts?
    This would make a lovely throw.
    Oxford is a beautiful city and an easy place to get around.
    Rose, your great for visiting places and it’s nice you share your photos.
    Thank you.
    Yes the weather is getting colder hopefully it won’t last too long.
    Enjoy sorting your photos.

• Hi Mary. I just love making quilts – thanks for your appreciation. I certainly won’t be going far this weekend – I can see a light smattering of snow outside this morning.

7. Colleen McKinlay says:

Love this quilt pattern Rose. A definite keeper. The blue just makes the pattern pop. Oxford has always been a place we would love to visit. The architecture looks amazingly. My husband and I enjoy many of your English mystery shows on television that feature Oxford. Definitely on our list to visit. Looking forward to your pics. Daffodils are blooming on the west coast of Vancouver…the sun is shining and I just saw our first robin at our bird feeder. Our sheltie is outside sunning himself. Spring is in the air!!☀️Happy St. Patrick’s Day tomorrow.☘🍀
    Colleen

• Thanks, Colleen. Glad you like the quilt. Oxford is a beautiful city – I always think it’s wasted on students who don’t appreciate it! You’ve probably seen the Morse programmes which are all based in Oxford – I love them also. My daffodils aren’t out yet so I’m very envious if yours are.

8. Teresa E purvis says:

This is a lovely pattern, thank you for showing how to make it. And I love hearing you speak, Rose, you are delightful. Have a great weekend from Delaware in the US!

9. Joan Arnestad says:

Rose. From South Africa again, near the Kruger National Park. Thanks for keeping me on the mailing list. I don’t always save all your ideas but, those that I do, inspire me and keep me interested in the art of quilting. Where I live, there are few people quilting and even less sources of material supplies. Thank you.

• Hi Joan. Thanks for your kind comments. What a wonderful part of the world you live in! I’ve never visited the Kruger park, but it’s high on my list!