Cushion Cover With Piping Added

Cushion cover with piping

Cushion cover with piping

For this cushion cover with piping I have used a very simple pattern for the cover so that the piping stands out against it.  The cover is made for a 16″ cushion pad and I have used about 3/4 yard of silk together with 2 yards of piping.  I made two at the same time, so the photos switch between blue or pink covers.

Cutting requirements for the cushion cover with piping

4.1/2″ squares:  sixteen,   16.1/2″ squares:  one

11.1/2″ by 16.1/2″ rectangles:  two

Make four rows of squares

Make four rows of squares

Make the cushion front

Sew the 4.1/2″ squares together in four rows of four.  I have used both the right side and the wrong side of the silk and alternated them across the rows and down the columns.  Silk is a particularly good fabric to use both sides – there is usually a good contrast between them.  In one of the fabrics that I used the right side is apricot, wrong side pink.  For the other one the right side is green, wrong side blue.

Add lining on the wrong side

Add lining on the wrong side

I wasn’t going to line the front panel but the seam allowances started to fray really quickly so I have added a 16.1/2″ square to the back of the front panel.  It’s probably a good idea to add a lining to any patchwork cushion/pillow covers.  This protects the seam allowances.  Sew this in place as near the edges of the squares as you can.

Closeup of the piping

Closeup of the piping

Add the piping

I used ready made piping rather than making my own.  If you want a particular colour piping you can always make your own by folding a strip of fabric around a cord.  Ready made is easier!  It comes with a flat edge to sew into the seam and a rounded edge which is the piping that will show on the cushion.

Piping faces downwards

Piping faces downwards

Cut four lengths of about 18″ each.  Lay a length of piping along one edge of the cushion front panel.  It will stick out about an inch beyond each end.  Line up the white (flat) edge of the piping with the edge of the panel.  The rounded part of the piping should face downwards on to the patchwork.  Pin in place.

Pin piping all round

Pin piping all round

Continue pinning a length of piping to each edge of the cushion cover.  At the corners the lengths will overlap each other.  I used to use one continuous length of piping and fold it at the corners, but I have found that using separate lengths is easier and provides the same effect at the corners of the cushion cover.

Whichever way you do it, you will still have to sew over one of the rounded parts of the piping at each corner.  For the moment, though, only pin.  I find it easiest to leave the sewing until all the layers are in place.

Turn under a hem

Turn under a hem

Make the cushion back panel

Turn under a small double hem on one long edge (16.1/2″) of each of the rectangles.  These will be the edges that form the envelope closing for the cover.

Add the first rectangle

Add the first rectangle

Place one rectangle with right sides together on the front panel, right sides together.  Pin all the layers together on the top edge only.

Add the second rectangle

Add the second rectangle

Now add the second rectangle to the bottom half of the cushion cover.  You should have an overlap of about 3″.  This will form the envelope closing.

Pin all the layers together along the bottom edge.  Smooth the sides and then pin them as well.

Use a zipper foot

Use a zipper foot

Sew the cushion cover with piping

Sew all round the edge.  For this stage it’s best to use a zipper foot on your sewing machine.  This will help you to get the seam line in close to the piping.

Even so, I still managed to miss one layer on a small portion of the seam.  So when you have sewn the seam, test it all round to make sure that you don’t have any gaps.

View of the back

View of the back

When you’re satisfied that your seam is complete with all the layers caught in, finish the edges either with a zigzag stitch or an overlocker.  This prevents fraying.

Turn the cushion cover with piping right side out through the gap in the back panel.  Insert a 16″ cushion pad.

Sandwell park

Sandwell park

This week I made sure to get out on plenty of walks after being stuck inside during the snow.  I found a park that I haven’t visited before – the Sandwell Valley Country Park.  I loved it and was very impressed with what was on offer.  So I was amazed when I looked up the website just now to find that I missed a huge portion of it!

There is a working farm that I completely missed.

Although the snow has disappeared from the streets I was surprised to see that parts of the lake were still frozen.  The whole white section at the bottom of the photo is ice.

War memorial

War memorial

Within the park there is a very attractive and eyecatching war memorial.

Outdoor exercise machines

Outdoor exercise machines

But my main memory is of the outdoor exercise machines.  You’ve probably come across them before, but this was the first time that I had seen anything like this.  What a great idea.

They were set in pairs at various points throught the park.

Comments

1. Carole Yoxall says:

Love these cushion covers Rose,they look so professional with the piping,xx

2. Dear Rose It is very good idea to make cushion cover.,
    thanks for showing the tutorial
    with regard
    Anita

3. esther karadavid says:

hi rose,
    thanks for your weekly gift. i loved the piping on this cushion.

etti k

4. Rose, Love the cushion. A good tutorial on the piping.
    Never sure how to do it but willing to give it a try.
    Thank you.
    I know what you mean about getting out after the snow.
    The park looks beautiful. I’ve never seen an outdoor exercise machine before.
    Good on you for trying it out.

• Hi Mary. It certainly takes longer to make a cushion cover with piping, but I felt that it was definitely worth it. It’s lovely being able to get out and about again.

Here I go again This is the third week that I am trying to leave comments. I have made a pillow like this but you gave me new ideas.Never did see exercise machines out doors like this. Good idea. Hope you have a great weekend, and Happy Quilting.

• Hi Sandra. I seem to get your comments each week, so I’m not sure what the problem is, but thanks for persevering. It’s surprising how many people are telling me that they have seen those outdoor exercise machines. I think they’re a great idea.

6. Mari Elliott says:

Love the exercise machines. I was fortunate to be able to visit London in ’04’ and always hoped I could go back. But I’m will be 81 next month so I don’t see it in my future.
    I love your patterns and have downloaded them very often in the past years….just wish I had more time to make my quilts!

• Hi Mari. I love London. I’m not sure that I’d want to live there, but I love visiting. Glad you find the quilt patterns helpful. I also wish that I had more time to quilt – just not enough hours in the day!

Once again, I so appreciate your teachings. Your honesty and showing us what to watch out for in your projects. I also so love the little journeys you take us to. Places we wouldn’t get to see unless you shared them with us. I’m so glad I found your site. Have a Wonderful day.
    Hugs, June (USA)

• Hi June. Thanks for your kind comments. I think we all make mistakes in our work. My biggest problem is if I don’t notice the mistake until I’ve nearly finished! So pleased that you like the travel bits.

8. Pat Culston says:

thank you for the cushion cover with the piping. You explain things so clearly – thank you again. Pat

9. Sue Hosking says:

Love the green and blue cushion cover, shows off the piping really well!
    I just cheated and bought a quilt in a charity shop this morning! Cost me a whole 3 euros so felt I had a bargain! It does need a small repair, but think I can cope with that!
    Love to hear your news Rose, the park looks fun – in Swansea they have these excercise macnines too at intervals along the prom. Think that was the first place we saw them. (It was where our son was at Uni there)
    Wishing you a fun and happy weekend,
    Best wishes,
    Sue

• Hi Sue. You certainly had a bargain with that quilt. Why do I never find bargains like that! I had a feeling that other places would have those outdoor machines. I think they’re a brilliant idea.

10. Very attractive cushions indeed! Making the covers patchwork ensures that they’re totally original. The days when I used to make my own piped cushions are long gone. I think it’s slightly weird that you get an exercise machine in a park, would have assumed that walking around the park is exercise. Pleased the snow has gone from your area….bring on Spring!!

• Hi June. Yes, that is the advantage of making things yourself – you know they’ll always be different. I had a ball playing on those machines – then I rested while I walked to the next pair of machines.

11. Colleen McKinlay says:

Another great tutorial. I have never put piping on my pillows but now feel that I can give it a go. Thanks Rose. Love that outdoor exercise machine. We definitely need those in our local parks in Vancouver. What a terrific idea. Our snow has cleared too and this weekend is suppose to be sunny. Yay. My Daffodils will love it. Maybe even some garden cleanup. Spring is definitely around the corner. Have a great weekend Rose.
    Colleen

• Hi Colleen. Your daffodils are out?? Mine are still just in bud. I always feel that piping gives such a lovely definition to a cushion cover.