Batwing Quilt – Free Pattern

Batwing quilt

Batwing quilt

In the Batwing quilt I have used two very simple blocks to make quite a striking quilt.  I’ve simplified the batwing quilt block – although it was pretty simple to start with!

The quilt measures 49″ square.  I have used 3/4 yard of dark purple, 1 yard of light purple and 1.1/2 yards of white fabric.   You can buy these fabrics at a discount in this week’s special offer.

The blocks are all 15″ square finished size – five batwing quilt blocks and four alternate quilt blocks.

Completed quilt blocks

Completed quilt blocks

Cutting requirements for the batwing quilt

6.7/8″ squares:  ten purple, ten white

3.1/2″ squares:  five dark purple, fifty two light purple, forty eight white

6.1/2″ by 3.1/2″ rectangles:  twenty white

For the border you need to cut five 2.1/2″ strips of dark purple across the width of fabric.

Make the half square triangle units

Use the 6.7/8″ squares to make half square triangles.  Place a blue and a white square with right sides together and mark a line along the diagonal.  Sew a 1/4″ seam either side of the marked line and cut along the line.  This will produce two half square triangle units.  Each one is now 6.1/2″ square.  Press the seam allowances towards the blue triangle and clip the two corners where fabric sticks out.

Batwing quilt block layout

Batwing quilt block layout

Make the batwing quilt block

Lay the pieces out in three rows of three.  Place a half square triangle in each corner with a white rectangle between each pair of half square triangles.  Check the photo to be sure which way to place the triangles.

In the middle row place a dark purple square with a white rectangle on either side of it.

Sew the pieces together across each row and then sew the rows to each other to complete the block.

At this stage the block should measure 15.1/2″ square.  You need to make five of these.

Sew 2 strips

Sew 2 strips

Make the alternate block

For this block I used some strip piecing to save time.  Sew a 3.1/2″ strip of white and of light purple together along the length.  Cut this panel at 3.1/2″ intervals to make rectangles. These measure 6.1/2″ by 3.1/2″ and contain a purple square and a white square.

The alternate block is made of five rows of five alternating squares.

Alternate block layout

Alternate block layout

Use the pairs of squares together with individual purple and white squares to make the rows.

The first, third and fifth rows start with a purple square while the second and fourth rows start with a white square.

Sew the squares together across each row and then sew the rows to each other to complete the block. This now measures 15.1/2″ square and you need to make four of them.

Rows one and three

Rows one and three

Assemble the batwing quilt

Sew the blocks together in three rows of three.  For rows one and three place an alternate block in the middle with a batwing block on either side.

Row two

Row two

In row two the layout is reversed, with a batwing block in the middle and an alternate block on each side.

Sew the blocks together across each row and then sew the rows to each other.

Dark purple for the border

Dark purple for the border

Use 2.1/2″ dark purple strips for the border.  You’ll need two lengths of 45.1/2″ for the top and bottom and two lengths of 49.1/2″ for the sides of the quilt.

That completes the batwing quilt top.  It is now ready for layering, quilting and binding.  Full details of these steps can be found in the quilting for beginners section.

Little Moreton Hall

Little Moreton Hall

A few weeks ago I went to Warrington for a meeting. On the way up I called in at Little Moreton Hall.  What an experience!  Apparently most architects are in agreement that the place should not still be standing.  The whole building is warped and the walls and floors have all sorts of curves and slanted lines that shouldn’t be there.  Walking across the floor of the upper hall could make you feel seasick it was so wavy.  The fact that it was so different from anywhere else I had visited made it a wonderful day.

Change of emphasis

Usually I send out a quilt pattern every Friday.  I have been giving this a lot of thought recently and I’ve decided that from now on I will send you a full quilt pattern every other Friday.  On the Fridays in between the project will be more general – maybe a bag pattern, something to make for a gift, or even an idea for a quilt border or quilting design.  I hope you’ll find this interesting and would welcome your thoughts on my idea.

Comments

1. Thank you Rose. I’ve been to see little Morton Hall. Amazing isnt it. I wonder how many modern buildings will stand the ravages of time. Love all your quilts. I lke the idea if your new schedule.

• Hi Irena. I stumbled on Little Morton Hall almost by accident but I was I was so pleased that I did see it! If it wasn’t a listed building they would probably slap a demolition order on it and declare it unsafe! Quite an amazing experience walking along those undulating floors. Thanks for the thoughts on the new schedule.

• Suzanne Kelly says:

I am very happy to hear your new idea of the changes to alternate Fridays. I am very interested in doing small projects. Suzanne.

2. Cynthia Ash says:

I love this quilt Rose and I think your idea of alternating quilt and other patterns on Fridays is great, I’m looking forward to it. Every other Friday will be a surprise!

• Hi Cynthia. I’m glad you like the idea of a change of schedule. I think that it could be more interesting for all of us.

3. Colleen McKinlay says:

Hello Rose,
    I really enjoy your weekly quilt ideas but would enjoy learning different techniques or project crafts. Great idea Rose. More inspirational ideas….who would say no to that. However please continue with interesting pics and info about various places that you visit. So interesting !
    Colleen

• Hi Colleen. Thanks for the vote of confidence! I’ll certainly continue with the tales of my travels. I’m delighted that others are interested in places I’ve visited.

4. I love the names of your quilts – they’re always very apt…coincidentally, I’ve just been listening to Die Fledermaus Overture by Johann Strauss II. I’ve never heard of Little Morton Hall but it sounds hilarious. I look forward to seeing your different projects on alternate Fridays.

• Hi June. The quilt name comes from the block – an imaginative quilter from the last century must have thought it up. Thanks for your thoughts on showing different types of projects. I only found Little Morton Hall because I’ve got the National Trust app on my phone – it tells me what buildings they have wherever I happen to be.

5. Hello Rose I think this quilt pattern is lovely. (I’m getting quite bold now) and will have a go at it. I know I haven’t got enough of all the colours needed but a bit of mix and match will help to reduce the pile of fabrics I already have. I think as long as I tone everything in it should be fine. I do have enough white so here I go.

I think your idea of doing something else on alternate Fridays is such a good idea. I am looking forward to seeing just what you come up with. Clever lady.

Little Moreton Hall looks fascinating. I think there must be quite a few of these buildings around that have aged as a whole and ‘grown together’, if you understand what I mean. Long may they remain.

Take care, all best Janny x

• Hi Janny. I think the quilt would look great in a variety of colours. I think that your colour sense is probably better than mine from all your pottery work. Yes, you are getting quite adventurous! Glad you approve of the idea of different projects. I think that Little Moreton hall was never intended to be so large – gradually as they added on extra levels and wings the foundations just couldn’t cope and sagged more in some places than others. As you say, there are probably many other buildings like that tucked away around the country.

• Rose Thank you but that is too much flattery an d confidence in my sense of colour. I only change colours when I don’t have enough of one colour of a material. When I’m lucky it works out.

Still struggling with my second single bed quilt at the moment.

The dark wood on the front of Little Moreton would develop into a good pattern I feel. Perhaps you could call it Afternoon Picnic or something similar. I am being quite serious as I do think the timber pattern is inspiring.

Looking forward to reading about your next trip out.

all best Janny

• Hi Janny. You’re right – the timbers do form a lovely series of patterns. Some of the designs are similar to those that I’ve seen often on floor tiles in churches and cathedrals. It would make a lovely monochrome quilt.

6. Hi Rose, Thank you again for another lovely quilt pattern. I love your new idea of different projects – always exciting to do something new – I love making bags etc. too. I am always so interested to hear of what you are doing and see your pictures – thank you again. Have a great weekend.

7. Love this pattern! So clever. We actually have bats where we live. This will be fun. Thank you.

I, too, look forward to your new schedule. Just in time for Christmas!

Love the stories of your wanderings. They take me places I have not been able to visit in person.

Enjoy your week-end.
    Linda

8. Hi Rose, another cute quilt!
    Looking forward to your every other Friday alternate project offering.

And please don’t stop sharing your visits around town and country! I especially look forward to those. When I saw the pic of Little Moreton Hall, I saw string blocks! 🙂 ~Karen

• Hi Karen. What a clever idea – I hadn’t thought of that. I think I was so overwhelmed by the general house of cards look of it – one gust of wind would blow it down!

9. Thank you for sharing your ideas. I think your new format will be stimulating. Best wishes, Sewapso.x

10. doris swaby says:

many thanks rose for all your most interesting quilt patterns all so lovely but welcome your idea of some smaller projects which I am sure we will all be able to manage love hearing about your outings

• Thanks, Doris. I think at this time of year we all start to think about Christmas presents and Christmas Charity Fairs.

11. gwen mullings says:

I think this is a great idea Rose, we often wonder what to make for a charity event or a gift, I never did receive the tea cosy pattern when I subscribed!!! I would also like to see the quilts finished as well. Hope the hand is improving, thanks for all your work. Gwen

• Hi Gwen. I’m so sorry that you didn’t receive the tea cosy pattern. I’ve just emailed it to you. I would also like to see some of the quilts finished – I hope I’ll have more time for that now.

12. Arleen Salmon says:

Yes, I like your idea of alternating quilt patterns with other sewing ideas. In fact, it amazed me how you could come up with ideas and create a new quiilt EACH WEEK! You are a wonder and I thank you for all your effort and creativity!

• Thanks for your kind words, Arleen. I loved designing a quilt each week, but I did end up without much time to finish anything.

13. I love your idea about different projects, could I make a request for some Christmas ideas as it’s only 19 weeks away and I’m not the fastest quilter as I do it all by hand! Thanks for all your patterns I look forward to Fridays.

14. Hi,Rose.
    Thanks for another fabulous but do able design. Would welcome the idea of projects other than quilts as most people make bags or cushion covers or table runners in between making quilts. I particular like to dress the house with items which reflect the season, or celebration, be it autumn or spring or Easter and Christmas. Visitors in particular comment on the new cloths or table mats which have been made. I very much enjoyed designing a rabbit table runner with appliquéd rabbits for Easter, as it is the only time I managed to control a rabbit! My garden is unfortunately overrun with them.
    i look forward to yours new ideas.

• Hi Margaret. Your comments on rabbits made me chuckle! Rabbits are very destructive, aren’t they. I had a goat many years ago and although she was perfectly happy eating thistles and nettles she far preferred to devour my roses and other pretty flowers. I’m definitely getting the feeling that Christmas projects are a must for most crafters at this time of year.

15. Agnes Marshall says:

Hi Rose love the idea of change for Fridays. I cannot make many quilts but would love to make smaller items.

• Thanks for your thoughts, Agnes. I think I’ll begin with a bag pattern next week – they are always useful.

16. Maggie Radliff says:

Twice we tried going through Little Morton Hall, and both times we just missed them as they closed before we got there. We also heard that the pottery for David Winter cottages had burned down and that they never rebuilt. Shame all those molds got destroyed. I have a few of his houses and some of them are signed by him.
    Maggie in Washington State, USA

• Hi Maggie. What a pity that you missed Little Moreton Hall. It really is a sight worth seeing. I hadn’t heard about the David Winter pottery – what a terrible shame. The model houses you have must be even more treasured now than they were before.

17. Lynne Barker says:

Hi Rose this quilt is super, we have a couple of bats 🦇 in our rafters so I’ll definitely be having a go at this. I’m trying my hand at other things with my glue gun and lace and fabric, love making lace shoes and picture pocket albums with doilies.So sounds exciting can’t wait 😊 x

• Hi Lynne. Isn’t it nice when a quilt block actually matches its name! I’ve never used a glue gun – sounds like something I should try. You are obviously very talented with yours.

18. Carole Yoxall says:

Hi Rose really love your idea of projects every other week, it will be great fun for us who can’t handle the bigger projects [arthritic hands]. Thanks so much for sharing all the adventures of your travels I look forward to Friday’s and catching up . Must say this weeks quilt pattern is stunning .All best wishes Carole x

• Hi Carole. Thanks for your kind words. The idea to change the emphasis seems to be a popular one, so I’m looking forward to making new small projects to share. Are your hands a little better in the summer, or is the arthritis the same all year round?

• Carole Yoxall says:

Sadly Rose it is all year round, but on the bright side, I have made some beautiful quilts over the years [many thanks to you] ,and now I just make the occasional block .Once a quilter always a quilter giggle giggle . I hope your hand is better now Rose, All best wishes Carole x

• Sorry to hear that, Carole. Isn’t there a saying something along the lines of growing old not being for the faint hearted. My hand has healed really well, thanks.

19. I like this quilt and when I get a chance I will be making it. Also, that is a very good idea to have every other Friday something different to make.
    Kathy W.

20. Sounds good! Hope your hand is getting better. Regards, Jean

21. Jean Frake says:

HI Rose A very stunning quilt pattern this week & I enjoy your e-mails every Friday and look forward to the new schedule. Sometimes it is nice to have smaller projects.
    Jean

• Thanks, Jean. Glad you like the batwing quilt. Yes, it’s quite satisfying finishing small projects off, isn’t it.

22. Love the idea of different projects to make and look forward to what’s coming up in the future. Hope your hand is okay now and you’re enjoying being back at your sewing machine.

• Hi Irene. I’m going to enjoy having the time to make different sorts of things. My hand is fine now, thanks. All systems back to normal!

23. Lola Howard says:

Hi Rose , hope your hand is healed and I love the quilt and the picture it is so oretty on the outdide . Is it empty? I think that is a great idea you have about alternating each week . Hope your week end is blessed .

• Thanks, Lola. Yes, thanks, my hand has healed really quickly. No, the hall isn’t empty. It’s filled with the sort of furniture and other things that they would have had in those days. Really interesting.

24. Sue Neale says:

Hi Rose, I have just read through all of the comments, what a great vote of confidence for you – justly deserved. I too love this batwing quilt, the idea of smaller projects is also exciting. Thanks for all that you do for your online community and especially for the “travel” section. As a UK resident I have now put Little Moreton Hall on my wish to visit list.

• Hi Sue. The comments have been very gratifying – and very humbling. I think that the National Trust run many wonderful properties, but Little Moreton Hall is a real gem.

25. Hi Rose. The batwing quilt looks so fresh and bright – it would look great in a young boy’s room I think. Love the idea of alternating quilts and other treats on alternate Fridays. If I made a quilt (like you appear to do) every week I’d never get anything else done – apart from running out of fabric and space to store them all. So new delights to come – I for one can’t wait! xx

• Hi Margaret. You’re right – the batwing quilt would be a great gift for a young boy. I definitely have that problem of running out of space, so I’m hoping to find time now to finish off some quilts – especially now that I have Minnie up and running again.

26. Mari Elliott says:

I like your idea to send a quilt pattern ever other Fridayl The other items you are offering sound wonderful. Now a question??? Do you offer bed size quilt patterns in your Friday letters? Would love to see them. Love all the patterns you do send!

27. Carol Tambourine says:

I think that is a great idea.

Love the quilt but hate the name as i do NOT like bats. The Moreton hall must be something to see in person. I might get dizzy if I had to walk in one of the halls.
    Love the new idea for Fridays. I try all kinds of crafts, so this is just fine. Please don’t forget about sending pictures of your adventures. Always look forward to them also.
    You are very talented so I know you will come up with more good ideas.
    Hope the hand is healing nicely and you are fully operational.
    Have a great weekend and Happy Quilting

• Hi Sandra. Isn’t it funny how we often think of bats as slightly menacing – they actually have very sweet faces! Yes, I did feel slightly seasick walking across the undulating floor in the hall at the top of the building. Hand healing well, thanks. Lovely to be able to put it in water again.

29. Carolyn McAllister says:

Rose, I appreciate all your projects and patterns. New and diverse ideas will be grand
    Carolyn McAllister

Glad to hear that you will be sending us small projects to make. At the moment I am making a baby quilt for another great niece. Her mother likes Sunbonnet Sue so that’s what I’m going to make. It’s my first try at doing applique and so far I’ve cut out nine 12 x 12 plain white squares. Next, I will cut out the outfits, use iron on fusible – sew everything together and voila – finis! All kidding aside, I hope I can finish the quilt by Christmas. My hand still cramps up when I sew and I must stop sewing until the pain is gone. Happy to hear that all is well with your hand. Bet you’ll be paying Minnie lots of visits in the weeks to come. Have you used your embroidery machine yet? Those are fun.
    I like your quilt. You are right – it is quite striking. Good job!

• Hi Claire. Thanks for your comments. Good luck with the Sunbonnet Sue. As you say, it shouldn’t take long! Aren’t we lucky to be able to use fusible interfacing – at least our applique stays in place till we have a chance to sew it. Sorry to hear that you’re still having problems with your hand. I’ve heard others mention their hands cramping or locking and it sounds very painful. Yes, Minnie is working hard at the moment but I haven’t set my embroidery machine up properly yet. I’ll have to do it soon because embroidery is so useful on Christmas gifts.

31. What a lovely idea Rose, I really look forward to the alternate Friday’s. Little Moreton hall, I have never heard of that but can’t unfortunately visit now as living in Australia. Enjoy your weekend and thank u for all the hard work u put in for us ladies.

32. Simone Richards says:

Always love your quilts. Thank you for all your projects. Looking forward to your new format.

33. Hi Rose, I can’t thank you enough for all your quilts and instructions and quite frankly don’t know where you find the time to go on your little travels. It’s a real treat reading your tales each week and actually quite look forward to them. regarding your change of plans I think that’s a great idea. Thank you for all you send out, you’re one very busy Lady.

• Hi Beverley. Thanks for your kind comments. I certainly have been struggling for time some weeks, so I’m hoping that I may be able to finish some quilts now. I do enjoy my little travels and I’m so pleased that everyone else seems to like hearing about them!

34. Delighted to see you visited my home town of Warrington, though it’s many years since I lived there. I’m embarrassed to say that I have never visited Little Moreton Hall, though it is on my ‘hit list’. Maybe when I am over there next spring.
    Love your idea of doing different kinds of patterns on alternate weeks, especially if it includes bag patterns!
    Thanks for all your lovely quilting ideas.
    Carole M

• Thanks, Carole. I definitely plan to include bag patterns. I was impressed with Warrington. The centre was a lovely pedestrian area with statues and fountains – it was just sad to see all the empty shops.

35. Sheila Lymn says:

Hi Rose and you have brought back many happy memories of when my Ralph and I visited Little Morton Hall ,a beautiful place and we are very lucky to have the N/T to save these places ,
    When I first looked the this weeks quilt I didn’t see the strips until I read through the pattern ,As you say using Christmas fabric like the new red white and green from last week would make a lovely single block into a picture , Have a lovely reunion love and hugs as always Sheila xxx

• Hi Sheila. I agree – we are so lucky to have all the National Trust properties to visit. I like them particularly because you get both the building and usually lots of walks in the grounds as well. Just back from London – lovely day but rather spoiled by multiple problems with the trains.