Log Cabin Cross Quilt Pattern

Log cabin cross quilt

Log cabin cross quilt

In the log cabin cross quilt I have used log cabin blocks along with stripey blocks which are made using the same fabrics in the same widths.  Just to mix things up a little, I’ve used different widths of logs.  I have also shaded one colour from dark to light and the other from light to dark.  That’s what I love about log cabin quilts – they are so simple and there are so many ways that you can vary the basic pattern.

The quilt measures 52″ by 76″.  I have used 1 yard each of light green and light purple, 3/4 yard each of dark green, medium purple and white, 1/2 yard each of medium green and dark purple.  You can buy these fabrics at a discount in this week’s special offer.

Completed log cabin block

Completed log cabin block

Cutting requirements for the log cabin cross quilt

White:  twelve 3.1/2″ squares

Dark purple:  twelve 2.1/2″ by 3.1/2″ strips, twelve 2.1/2″ by 5.1/2″ strips

Medium purple:  twelve 2.1/2″ by 6.1/2″ strips, twelve 2.1/2″ by 8.1/2″ strips

Light purple:  twelve 2.1/2″ by 9.1/2″ strips, twelve 2.1/2″ by 11.1/2″ strips

Dark green:  twelve 1.1/2″ by 11.1/2″ strips, twelve 1.1/2″ by 12.1/2″ strips

Medium green:  twelve 1.1/2″ by 8.1/2″ strips, twelve 1.1/2″ by 9.1/2″

Light green:  twelve 1.1/2″ by 5.1/2″ strips, twelve 1.1/2″ by 6.1/2″ strips

For the alternate blocks you will need to cut four strips of each fabric in the widths they are used in the log cabins.  That’s 2.1/2″ in the purples, 1.1/2″ in the greens and 3.1/2″ in white

The final border is made using six 2.1/2″ strips of light green cut across the width of fabric.

First round of logs

First round of logs

Make the log cabin block first round

Use a 3.1/2″ white square for the central square.  This actually won’t finish up in the middle of the block because the logs are different widths, but it’s the starting point of the block.

Beneath that sew a 3.1/2″ dark purple strip.  On the right place a 5.1/2″ dark purple strip.  Across the top place a 5.1/2″ light green strip, followed by a 6.1/2″ light green strip on the left.

As you can see, the logs are all being sewn to the square in an anti-clockwise direction.  In other log cabins they may be sewn clockwise, but the important thing is to stick to one direction for each round of logs.

Second round of logs

Second round of logs

Second round of logs

Use the medium purple and green in this round.  Begin with the 6.1/2″ medium purple. Follow this with the 8.1/2″ medium purple.  Sew the 8.1/2″ medium green across the top.  Finish with the 9.1/2″ medium green on the left side.

Incidentally, you need to press this block at all stages, before you add another log.  Doing this increases the accuracy of the seams.  Always press the seam allowances away from the central square.

Third round of logs

Third round of logs

Third round of logs

Finally, make the third round of logs with the light purple and dark green strips.

Each block measures 12.1/2″ square at this stage.  Make twelve of them.

The alternate blocks

Make panels of strips

Make panels of strips

I had intended to make the stripey blocks as individual blocks.  Then I realised that this would be an enormous waste of time, so I am using the striped sections in panels.

Make the panels using all the fabrics cut in the same widths as they are used in the log cabin blocks.  So that’s 2.1/2″ strips of purple, 1.1/2″ strips of green and a 3.1/2″ white strip.

Assemble the log cabin cross quilt

Make row 1 with a 24.1/2″ striped panel.  Place this with the purple at the top as shown in the photo above.

Rows 2 and 4

Rows 2 and 4

In rows 2 and 4, place two log cabin blocks so that the dark green runs across the top of the pair.

Rows 3 and 5

Rows 3 and 5

Rotate the blocks for rows 3 and 5 so that the dark green runs across the bottom of the pair of blocks.

Finally for row 6 place a 24.1/2″ striped panel.  This time place the green at the top of the panel.

Sew the pairs of log cabin blocks together and then sew the rows to each other.

The sides of the quilt

The sides of the quilt

The sides of the quilt

For the sides of the quilt make up two 48.1/2″ lengths of the striped panel.  Sew a log cabin block to each end of these panels.  In the photo the middle section is folded up purely so that I can show you the blocks at each end.  Rotate the log cabin blocks so that the dark green forms the outer corners of the quilt.

Sew one panel to each side of the quilt.  The panel shown forms the right hand side of the quilt.  Place the other panel the other way up for the left hand side of the quilt.  That way you keep the dark green on the outside of the quilt.

Quilt border

Quilt border

Finally make up four 2.1/2″ strips of light green for the border.  Two lengths of 48.1/2″ for the top and bottom and two lengths of 72.1/2″ for the sides.

That completes the log cabin cross quilt top.  It is now ready for layering, quilting and binding.  Full details of these steps can be found in the beginner quilting section.

Cushions for labels

Cushions for labels

I mentioned recently that I had been to a National Trust property called Packwood House.  I didn’t have the space at the time to show you a really neat idea that they used for labels.  Usually you see printed labels on stands as you move around these properties.  However at this property they had the information printed on cushions.  I thought that was a lovely touch!

Bargello chairs

Bargello chairs

They also had some gorgeous chairs which were very similar to the Bargello chairs on display in Florence – only in much brighter colours.

It was a real treat to see them as well as some tapestries that were centuries old.

Comments

1. Debra (Canada) says:

Yet another amazing use of log cabin. I like the way the corner blocks look like they are folded over. Will be bookmarking this one!

• Hi Debra. Glad you like the quilt pattern. It ended up being far less complicated than I had planned, but with a better look to it!

2. Sandy Vickers says:

What a beautiful variation of the Log Cabin ! This may be the next quilt I make. Thank you for this lovely design. We in the States are praying for peace and security to return to the U.K.

3. it is very nice . the way the strips are very nice thanks
    Anita

4. Christine Bower says:

A lovely pattern thank you Rose, one I think I might have a go at, whilst all the MP’s try to sort the country out, I wonder what will happen now/

• Hi Christine. I think you’ll have time to make plenty of quilts before the politicians sort themselves out!

5. patricia winne says:

Thank you so much for this (and your other) beautiful patterns that you so graciously share. I never kow which one to do next. They are all so appealing in their simplicity and variations.

• Thanks for your kind words, Patricia. I like to try and keep the quilt patterns simple where possible.

6. Wow, Rose, this is so stunning. Such a twist on the Log Cabin. I really like this. I will have to make this. The corners look 3-D. This is a keeper for sure.
    Thank you for all your beautiful creations.

7. Wendy Williams says:

Love this pattern. Thanks for sharing

8. paulareeveslmt says:

I like this design too Rose, clever layout! Keeping you in my good thoughts that things will calm down in your country dear one.

9. Kathleen says:

I like this! Has a Frank Lloyd Wright stained glass window look to it.

• Hi Kathleen. That’s an interesting thought – I certainly hadn’t thought of a Frank Lloyd Wright connection.

10. MarleneC says:

One of my favorites. Thank you so much Rose for your hard work and for your kind sharing.

11. DANA LEIGH TISDALE says:

Greetings from Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada. What a unique look … I really this quilt design. Thanks for sharing!

Another great quilt. Did not think to use the log cabin block like this You are so clever. I like it. Of course you used my favorite colour.
    Have finished 1 quilt second one needs the binding and the third is pinned and ready to sew. I have been busy. Also am making some triverts to give out also.
    I always label my quilts after they are done with my name and the year.
    Hope you have a great weekend. Happy Quilting

• Hi Sandra. I thought you’d like the purple. You’re certainly steaming ahead with all your quilting. Great idea to add a label to every quilt.

13. Breda Flood says:

What a delightful pattern.Thank u so much for putting a smile on my face as i open your pattern on screen
    Breda Flood

14. doetexas says:

Great quilt, maybe I’ll finally make a log cabin quilt! Hope your election results turned out more to your liking than these did over here!

• Hi Doe. Go for it – log cabin is a lovely simple but versatile block to try. No, I don’t think a hung Parliament has made anyone happy.

15. The quilt top looks so beautiful on your table. I love it! You make it all look so simple.

The weather here has been very cold and I’m still having to turn the heat on to get the chill out of the house. A heat wave is expected next week so I’ll be turning on the air conditioner. I don’t like hot and humid weather – it’s all too enervating.

I don’t suppose that you have had time to go anywhere near your embroidery machine or your long arm machine? Minnie must be wondering why you forgot her.

• Hi Claire. It’s funny how our weather often seems to follow yours. I also had to turn the heating on once this week – I was so sick of being cold all the time. Like you, we are forecast warmer weather next week. Yes, I think Minnie must be feeling very aggrieved, but I have several quilts waiting for her so she will soon be working flat out.

16. Rebecca Miller says:

I love your colors, and love see each on everyone of you designs. I just finished VBS, and I had 14 students. I am so glad it is over, for I am ready to start quilting. I love your flare of colors.

• Hi Rebecca. Thanks for your kind words. What does VBS stand for?

• Rebecca Miller says:

Vaction Bible School.We had 380, from babies to 5th grade. I had 14, 4 girls, and the rest were BOYS. I am 73 year, and I like to keep in touch with the younger children, for I have no grand-kids. None of my children choose to marry. I had one young boy, 8 years old, in my class who was a head taller that any of the students. He kept doing gymnastic in the different station of VBS. I kept telling NO, not here, only in the gym. He was a hand full. But when you volunteer to teach, you don’t have a choose who comes. I hope I have made a difference in their life, even if it is only a week.

• Hi Rebecca. Thanks so much for that information. I’m sure that you made a big difference in their lives. What a wonderful thing to do – it must have been very hard work, though!

17. Elizabeth Sackey says:

A lovely log cabin variation! A definite save for me.

18. Linda Butler says:

Hi Rose – another beautiful design for a quilt. I have just finished a log cabin quilt and I loved doing it. As you say, so many variations and quite easy to make. Also, I love the idea of information put on cushions in National Trust properties. I volunteer at a NT property and will put this idea forward. Also I love that chair at Packwood House. Always look forward to seeing your quilt designs.

• Thanks, Linda. You’ve answered one question for me – I had wondered if all NT properties were using cushions for labels, so now I know that they’re not.

19. Cecilia Alcantar says:

Thank again Rose for sharing this beauty of a block. YOU HAVE INSPIRED ME TO MAKE IT.

20. I think this is a very sophisticated pattern and fabric colour combination – the finished result is amazing and must give you so much joy to look at. Also, thanks for sharing your adventures.

• Thanks, June. Log cabin is an incredibly old quilt block, but it can be varied in so many ways that it’s a wonderful block.

21. Log cabin blocks are my all-time favorite. Love the design. I have one question. In the cutting directions under Light Green, it doesn’t say how many 2.1/2″ by 6.1/2″ strips to cut. So is it one or should it be twelve like all the others?