Silver Lanes Quilt – Free Pattern

Silver Lanes quilt

Silver Lanes quilt

The Silver Lanes quilt block has such a lovely layout that I didn’t feel that it needed an alternate block.  I’ve made this quilt using just nine blocks which are all 18″ square finished size.  Each block contains purple, white and three shades of blue which gives the quilt plenty of interest.

The quilt measures 58″ square and I needed 1 yard each of white, dark blue and purple fabric, with 3/4 yard each of medium blue and light blue fabrics.  I don’t have any of that fabric left over, so there’s no special discount quilt kit this week.

If you wanted to make a rectangular quilt you could make twelve blocks (four rows of three) and this would give you a quilt 58″ wide by 76″ long.

Completed silver lanes quilt block

Completed silver lanes quilt block

Cutting requirements for the silver lanes quilt

3.1/2″ squares:  thirty six white, thirty six light blue, seventy two medium blue

3.7/8″ squares:  thirty six each in light blue and dark blue, thirty six each in dark blue and white, eighteen each in purple and white

For the border you will need to cut six 2.1/2″ strips of purple fabric across the width of fabric.

Make the half square triangle units

Use the 3.7/8″ squares to make half square triangle units in the colour combinations listed above.  Place two squares with right sides together and mark a line along the diagonal.  Sew a 1/4″ seam either side of the marked line and cut along the line.

This will produce two half square triangle units which are now 3.1/2″ squares.  Press the seam allowances towards the darker fabric and trim the two corners where fabric sticks out.

Layout of the central area

Layout of the central area

Make the silver lanes quilt block

I’ve shown the central area of the block first.  Place four purple/white half square triangles in the middle to make a pinwheel.

Around this pinwheel place two medium blue squares on each edge with a light blue square in each corner.

Silver lanes quilt block layout

Silver lanes quilt block layout

Now you can add the outer frame.  Place a white square in each corner of the block.  On either side of each corner, place a light blue/dark blue half square triangle.  These two light blue triangles together with the light blue square already in place make a rosebud shape which is repeated around each corner of the block.

In the middle of each edge of the block, lay two dark blue/white half square triangles.  Place these so that the two white triangles together form a larger white triangle pointing towards the middle.

Sew the squares together across each row and then sew the rows to each other to complete the block.  This now measures 18.1/2″ square and you need to make nine blocks altogether.

Assemble the silver lanes quilt

Sew the blocks together in three rows of three.  For the border you will need 2.1/2″ strips of purple fabric:  two lengths of 54.1/2″ for the top and bottom of the quilt and two lengths of 58.1/2″ for the sides.

That completes the silver lanes quilt top.  It is now ready for layering, quilting and binding.  Full details of these steps can be found in the beginner quilting section.

Mayflower steps

Mayflower steps

When I visited Torquay the week before last, I also spent a day in Plymouth, further along the coast.  What a lot of history there is in that city!  Along the harbour front there is an area called the Mayflower Steps.  This is where the Mayflower set off in 1620 taking the Pilgrim Fathers to settle in America.  You can’t see them in the photo, but the flags of both the UK and the USA fly beside the steps.

Eddystone Lighthouse

Eddystone Lighthouse

A little further along the coast and up a hill known as the Hoe I found a small lighthouse – actually too far inland to be useful.

I was fascinated to find that it’s known as Smeaton’s Tower and is in fact the top half of the Eddystone Lighthouse.

Eddystone light quilt block

Eddystone light quilt block

It used to function as a lighthouse but the top half was transported stone by stone to Plymouth where it was rebuilt.

When I made the Eddystone light quilt block I just assumed that it came from America, when in fact the lighthouse was here on the south coast all along!

Thanks for visiting my website.  For various reasons there will not be a quilt pattern next Friday.

Comments

1. Dear Rose So glad you had a good time away. Plymouth is so full of history.

This is a lovely quilt and I find the blue and white combination really pleasing. Will just have to put this on my to-do-someday list.
    Take care Janny

• Hi Janny. I’m sure that I hardly scratched the surface in seeing what Plymouth has to offer, but it was a thoroughly enjoyable day. Like you, I think blue and white look great together.

2. Hi Rose — love this pattern and the Plymouth block! Do you have any suggestions for getting pinwheels to lie flat in the center? I can get the centers to match well, but it is a really bulky seam join. Thanks so much – Annie

• The coffee hasn’t kicked in yet, so correction re my previous comment: Eddystone, not Plymouth, block.

• Hi Annie. Pressing all the seams open seems to help a pinwheel to lay more flat. I’m afraid you can’t get away from the fact that there are many layers of fabric meeting at that point.

• doetexas says:

It’s here that I press with my thumb and give all those little points a kinda swirl – that seems to help them lie a little flatter — and some starch and pressing always helps, Too!
        Doe

3. Hi Rose, My best wishes for a very Happy Birthday. Will you be enjoying the day with your family?

I love your quilt pattern. You never seem to run out of ideas.

Hope your weather is better than what we have had here for the past week. I had to wear my winter coat because the cold temperatures . Nice though to see all the flowers in bloom.

4. Sue Harris says:

Thank you so much for this pattern! I am a Quilt Of Valor member & am constantly looking for unique patterns I can use to honor our submarine veterans, a normally overlooked service. The pinwheels will be perfect propellers!

5. Thank you so much Rose for all your dedication to information on the quilts and history.
    This quilt is Beautiful and to see the sites around you is an additional bonus.
    My parents came to the USA after WW2 from Bretagne and France.
    So the “Old Country” and things associated with it are important to me. I love your talent for combining historical points with fabric.
    Enjoy your next week off.
    Hugs, June from Tx.
    PS maybe one day we can meet if I get to your side of the pond 😁

• Hi June. I’m sure your parents were glad to leave war-torn Europe. Yes, do get in touch if you ever come to the UK.

• Is today your Birthday? It’s my older brothers Birthday. 🌹
        I really wish my parents hadn’t left.
        I never got to know my family there till the late 90’s. So I try to learn the history as much as possible.
        And my dad’s side has the Celtic side to it. So I’m always on a discovery mode.
        I’d like to believe there were sewers in my family that I inherited my fabric passion from.
        Thanks Rose, and enjoy your day🌹.

• Hi June. Happy Birthday to your brother – Florence Nightingale also shared our birthday. Your life would have been very different if your parents hadn’t left. I’m sure there were people who sewed in your family – after all, at one time there everything had to be hand sewn in the home.

6. Hi Rose, you deserve a week off. Happy Birthday! Lovely quilt. thank you.
    I love lighthouses and windmills. It’s nearly 400, hundred years since
    the Mayflower sailed.

• Thanks, Mary. I was surprised that they had an area marked out for the Mayflower steps. One assumes that it may be where the Mayflower probably left, rather than definitely did! The lighthouse was really impressive even if it was only half its original height.

7. Irena Mangone says:

Dear Rosę. Happy birthday. Thank you for another beautiful. Quilt. Pattern. Love it. Will put it on a to do. List.

8. Sue Craighead says:

Hi Rose,
    Thank you for again offering a lovely pattern to us. I,too, enjoy your bits of history about the quilt patterns. And thanks for the quilting tips that you give us. a newbi like me welcomes all tips and tutorage. 😉 Have a splendid weekend. Next week, I leave for a two week trip home to see family. i am from East Tennessee and the Great Smokey Mountains and I am so excited to be in my mountains again…

Love his quilt It us going on my next to do. I am making some for the different churches that I know for their picnics or holiday fiestas. Just have to get them done by November. I think I will be able to do it.
    Hope you have a great week off Don’t worry about us we have plenty to keep us busy. Enjoy your birthday time off. You know that all good people were born in May. My birthday is May 30. the old Memorial Day here in the USA. Didn’t like when they changed it to the last Monday in May.
    Hope you have a great weekend and Happy Quilting and Happy Happy Birthday

• Thanks, Sandra. Good luck with all those quilts – you’re definitely going to be busy this summer. We also have a bank holiday on the last Monday of May. We used to call it Whitsun but now we seem to call it the late spring holiday. Happy Birthday for the 30th.

10. Mimi Fridie says:

Thanks for the beautiful pattern. I don’t know how you keep coming up with all these new ones.
    You’re a woman after my own heart with your love of traveling. It’s such fun and a painless way to learn.

11. You’ve done it again! SUCH an attractive quilt block, especially with those gorgeous fabrics. Glad your birthday was enjoyable. Thank you also for sharing your informative travel jaunt.

12. Sarah Cureton says:

Love this “Silver Lanes” quilt. Beautiful.

13. Kathy Betty says:

Hi Rose, Hope you had a good mother’s day. I was in Paris for mother’s day!! Sorry to hear about the explosion in Manchester, England last night. Every time I hear about stuff like this it is sad and depressing and ‘not again! goes through my head.

Kathy Betty

• Hi Kathy. I hope you had a wonderful time in Paris. What a lovely city it is. I think the Manchester bombing has shaken everyone – what a dreadful thing to happen.

Leave a comment - I love hearing from you. Comments may take a while to appear as they are approved manually.