Venice Quilt Inspirations – Floor Tiles

Venice quilt inspirations

Venice quilt inspirations

Venice quilt inspirations are everywhere!  I have long wanted to visit Venice, and last week my dream finally came true.  Oh what a beautiful city it is.

I was only there for a few days, but I walked myself into the ground in that time.  The guide books suggested that I should not to plan my walks – just to walk randomly and see what beautiful buildings I could find.  I did that and was totally overwhelmed.

Grand Canal Venice

Grand Canal Venice

Grand Canal Venice

First thing I saw as I left the bus station was the Grand Canal.  This is the largest canal wandering through the middle of Venice.  The bridges crossing this canal have about 39 steps going up and the same going down on the other side – and that’s before you’ve even started walking the streets of Venice!

The Scalzi

Church of Santa Maria of Nazareth

Church of Santa Maria of Nazareth

I came across a building that was shrouded in scaffolding and I very nearly walked right past it.

Then I noticed an open door so I headed in and actually felt my eyes well up with the sheer beauty inside.

It turned out to be the Church of Santa Maria of Nazareth, also known as the Scalzi.  So I had nearly walked straight past the second most beautiful church in Venice!  Every square inch of the interior was covered in beautiful paintings, exquisite sculptures and a clever use of different coloured marble for panels and columns.  What a treat!  I returned to this church on my last day just to feast my eyes one more time.

Murano glass

Murano glass

Murano Glass

An added bonus in the Scalzi was a display of Murano glass for the Easter celebrations.  I knew that I wouldn’t have time to visit the island of Murano, home of the glass making industry, so it was lovely to be able to see many Murano pieces displayed throughout the church.

Just an aside on the subject of Murano glass:  I bought three beautiful pizza cutters with Murano glass handles as gifts for the children.  Having only half a brain working, I didn’t give a thought to going through security before the flight back.  They were confiscated at the airport, so the only gift that I took home was a bib for Holly.

Floor tile designs in San Marco

Floor tile designs in San Marco

Venice Quilt Inspirations

Gently I meandered my way across Venice and arrived at the Basilica of San Marco.  This is a World Heritage Site, and deservedly so.  What a beautiful building, both inside and out.

More floors

More floors

Given time I could make a dozen quilts from all the exquisite designs that I saw on the floors.

My first quilt design loosely based on one part of one of these patterns should be finished by Friday.

Canals of Venice

Canals of Venice

The Canals and Gondolas of Venice

I couldn’t finish without a mention of the canals and gondolas of Venice.  Some of the canals are huge, such as the Grand Canal shown at the top of the page, while some of them are very narrow.  The only access to these buildings is by boat.

Gondolas

Gondolas

The gondolas are a tourist attraction but I don’t think they would be used by local people.  I didn’t go on one myself, although it was fun watching them.  The gondolier was the man on the left in a pink shirt and boater hat.

The traditional view of them is the gondolier singing to the passengers, but I only came across that once and managed to get a very short video so that you could hear him:

Thanks for visiting my blog.

I hope to see you again soon.

Rose

Comments

1. Lola Howard says:

Oh what beauty you saw , can’t wait to what quilts you will make . I loved the church ir’s beauty was breath taking . Thank you so very much for sharing .

• Thanks, Lola. Although I tried my best with the photos, they just can’t give you the overall feeling of the eye watering depth of the beauty.

2. Lynne Schrag says:

Well, I can’t wait to see the blocks you design from these beautiful floor tiles.
    Lovely pictures. I can tell you had a wonderful time.

3. Carol Tambourine says:

I love it when you travel. I get to read about new places,

4. Glad you enjoyed Venice. I have been there 3 times and loved every time. However one must be able to walk and walk and walk some more……..
    Brought back some lovely memories and a delightful quilt!
    best wishes for easter
    Fay

• Hi Fay. You’re right about the walking. I’m glad I went in the spring – I think that I would have really struggled to do that much walking in really hot weather. As you say, lovely memories.

5. Christine says:

Thank you Rose for sharing your trip with me.Due to a disibility I am not able to travel now a days so I really appreciate that you share your trips with us fellow quilters. (Why couldn,t your cutters come through customs) perhaps they were considered dangerous!!!!! What a shame.
    Christine

• Hi Christine. You’re not allowed to take any sharp items on a plane as hand luggage. I knew this, but somehow I didn’t make the connection when I bought the cutters. I begged the security man to see that they went to a good home and didn’t just go in the bin!

6. Fiona Graham says:

Hi Rose I too love Venice. I grew up in Somerset and remember being there on a school trip at age 14. (My late mum was the Italian teacher). One of the 16 year old boys slipped on a wet seaweed encrusted step and fell into the Grand Canal which has a strong undertow. The Headmaster’s wife – a little French woman, called out that she would rescue him and jumped into the canal too with her handbag on one arm and her woollen cape on the other. The boy in the water saved himself by having to save her. She lost her cape, but still had her handbag and shoes when she was dragged out! And the bun in her hair was still intact! What an adventure. Have returned many times since, but was never so memorable as that first trip.
    Your quilt too is just lovely. I look forward to your email every week to see what has inspired your latest quit. Keep it up please.
    Fiona, Perth, Western Australia

• Hi Fiona. What a memorable trip that must have been. Thanks so much for sharing the adventure with all of us. The headmaster’s wife must have jumped in without even beginning to think if it was sensible!

7. Ria du Plessis says:

Rose, this is really enriching! I haven’t been to Venice since 1988. I believe a lot of work was done on some historical places and sites. Your quilt is beautiful. I can’t wait to see more of them rolled out. Kee up the good work. Love, Ria.

• Thanks, Ria. Yes, I certainly saw quite a lot of restoration work going on – that was how I nearly missed the Scalzi, because it was shrouded in scaffolding. I could also see quite a few cranes above the buildings.The restoration of those buildings must be never ending.

8. Linda Butler says:

Hi Rose – another lovely quilt and I can see why one could make quilts out of the beautiful patterned floors in the buildings in Venice. Venice is the most beautiful city, I am very lucky to have been 3 times, once to the Carnival and I actually got engaged in St Mark’s Square. I am so pleased you had a wonderful time. You must go back.

• Oh Linda how romantic! What a wonderful place to get engaged. I’m sure Carnival must be enthralling and I’m definitely planning on returning to Venice at some time.

9. Colleen McKinlay says:

I so enjoy your travel logs. The pictures , the video and your informative travel info are wonderful. Another beautiful city on my bucket list. Impressive how they value and restore with precision their historic sites. Thank you for another beautiful quilt Rose. My favourite quilting site.
    Colleen

• Thanks so much, Colleen. I loved Venice so much that I’m really glad to be able to share it with others.

10. Rose, I’ve been to Venice twice and didn’t like it but my husband loved it.
    Yes, there is beautiful buildings and churches and I love looking at things
    like that but the city didn’t appeal to me. Enough, the quilt pattern is lovely.
    Bummer about the cutters. I thought customs officials were supposed
    to give you a choice of letting you go back to post them or giving them
    to staff to keep for you until the flight landed. I wasn’t allowed to take a yogurt
    on board a flight because it was 5 mls over the permitted allowance.
    I know everything is meant to keep us safe but …

• Hi Mary. I’m amazed that you didn’t like Venice. It was my fault that the cutters were taken off me. I knew the rules but just forgot about them when I was buying them.

11. Sharon Lowe says:

Thank you so much for sharing your tour. It looks lovely there and loved the gondolier’s music. It would make it seem so real.. I don’t know a word for it, so thank you again. I can hardly wait for your designs for the quilts, it is so invigorating to see.
    Sharon

12. Olive Procyshyn says:

Rose it is so lovely to hear your travelling news, together with your photos.
    I look forward to receiving your email and delightful quilt patterns.
    I worked in my garden yesterday, but with a quarter of an acre must confess I did not make much impression.
    Did my best and my dog enjoyed it all.
    Olive in sunny Suffolk

• Hi Olive. It’s lovely being able to get out in the garden, isn’t it. Your garden is much larger than mine so it must require a lot more work.

13. Thanks for sharing your pictures! I can’t wait to see more quilts you make from the “patterns” from the floors. I was there a few years ago and it was a beautiful and amazing place!

14. Wow! What a fascinating trip – and thank you so much for sharing it. That gondolier has a magnificent voice and how amazing is the Church of Santa Maria of Nazareth? So glad you had a good time and what a shame they confiscated your Murano glass handled pizza cutters. I’ve been caught out before – it feels awful at the time, especially when they’re expensive items and you know they’ll simply be binned. Looking forward to seeing what you create from your inspirational travels.

• Hi June. I was just cross with myself for being so stupid – I should never have bought the cutters given that I was only travelling with hand luggage.