Ombre Quilt – Free Pattern

Ombre quilt

Ombre quilt

The Ombre quilt block is more generally made in colours shading from light to dark, but I’ve chosen to use a strong red within the block to bring out more contrasts.

I have used only one block throughout the quilt, but I love the way that both crosses and diamond patterns appear when they are all sewn together.

The quilt measures 64″ square, using sixteen 15″ square finished size blocks.  I needed 1.3/4 yards each of dark blue, light blue and red fabric.

You can buy these fabrics at a discount in this week’s special offer.

Cutting requirements for the ombre quilt

Ombre quilt block

Ombre quilt block

3.7/8″ squares:  thirty two each in dark blue and red, thirty two each in dark blue and light blue, sixty four each in red and light blue

3.1/2″ squares:  sixty four light blue, sixty four red, sixteen dark blue

For the border you will need to cut seven 2.1/2″ strips of dark blue across the width of fabric.

Begin with the half square triangle units

Make half square triangle units with all the 3.7/8″ squares in the colour combinations listed above.  Place two squares with right sides together and mark a line along one diagonal.  Sew a 1/4″ seam either side of the marked line and cut along the line.  This produces two half square triangle units which are now 3.1/2″ squares.  Press the seam allowances towards the darker fabric and trim the two corners where fabric sticks out.

Central section layout

Central section layout

Make the ombre quilt block

Once again it is simpler to look at the central section first.  This is a nine patch unit made with a dark blue square in the middle and a red square on each edge of the central square.  Dark blue/light blue half square triangles are placed in the corners of this central unit with the dark blue nearest the middle.

Ombre quilt block full layout

Ombre quilt block full layout

The outer frame is then fairly easy to add on.  In each corner place a red/dark blue half square triangle with the dark blue on the outside, forming the corners of the block.  Between each pair of corners place a light blue square with a red/light blue half square triangle on either side of it.  Check the photo to be sure which way to place the half square triangles:  you are forming first a light blue and then a red diamond around the central area.

Sew the squares together across each row and then sew the rows to each other to complete the ombre quilt block.  Make sixteen of these.

Assemble the ombre quilt

Sew the blocks together in four rows of four.  This really is a very simple quilt to make!

For the border I have used 2.1/2″ strips of dark blue fabric.  You’ll need two lengths of 60.1/2″ for the top and bottom and two lengths of 64.1/2″ for the sides.

That completes the ombre quilt top.  It is now ready for layering, quilting and binding.  Full details of these steps can be found in the beginner quilting section.

St Patricks Day Parade 2017

St Patricks Day Parade 2017

I know that today is St Patricks Day, but the parade in Birmingham was held last Sunday.  It was a lovely day and there was a wonderful atmosphere for the parade.

Last year I prepared a short video of it and most people commented on the bagpipes, so this year I’ve only really included the bagpipes. I hope you enjoy it:

Comments

1. Thanks for the film of the bagpipes. That made my St. Patrick’s day! You’ve also inspired me to make the Ombré quilt. I’m going to try it out with purple and orange batik fabric.

• Hi Suzanne. Glad you liked the bagpipes. It worked well with St Patricks day being on a Friday this year. The Ombre would look great in purple and orange.

2. Alma Croix says:

Thanks fof the lovely pattern. But a bigThank You for the video – always enjoy seeing bagpipers playing!!

• Thanks, Alma. I would have included more of the bands if I could, but I know from past experience that I have trouble uploading the video if it’s too long.

3. Nicolette Mullen says:

Loved the ombré quilt pattern. There are so many variations you could make with this pattern. You are so clever Rose. I am keeping the pattern to try when I have completed my current projects.

• Thanks, Nicolette. It’s such an easy block to make that it was really surprising (and gratifying) to see it turn into a far more complex looking quilt.

4. loved the bagpipes – your “stories” as interesting as the quilt patterns

5. Rose, I couldn’t believe this quilt was made with only one block.
    It is lovely. I enjoyed the video of the bagpipes. Our parade was , unfortunately’
    a washout due to atrocious weather. Thank you Rose.
    Enjoy your week-end.

• Thanks, Mary. Sorry to hear about your parade. We had rain forecast but luckily it held off until after the parade.

Thank you for the bagpipe medoly. We both love bagpipes. Love your adventures. We got 23″ of snow on Tuesday and we were snowed in until today. Most of the parades were the last two weeks.
    Love the quilt it looks very easy. could not sew as my sewing machine is down the basement and we have to go outside to get there. The steps were covered with snow as it was snowing hard all day and the next day as well. Have been crocheting instead. Neighbor dug us out but I think the snow will be here until May. Last two days the sun was out so it felt quite good.
    Have a great weekend Happy St Patrick’s Day. And Happy quilting

• Hi Sandra. Now I feel even more lucky to live where I do! I hope your snow doesn’t really last till May – our spring weather and the longer days have made me feel really happy and energetic.

7. Linda Beyea says:

Thank you for the video of the bagpipes , they were great .
    Great quilt pattern as well .
    Have a good week-end .

8. Sharon Lowe says:

Really enjoyed the bagpipes, thank you. You beat us in mowing the lawn this year. We still have crocus and snowdrops coming out. It has been a cold winter here on Vancouver Is.
    Take care Rose, I look forward to see your next project and the wonderful pictures of Birmingham. Bye for now.

• Thanks, Sharon. We’re obviously well ahead of you here – we have both crocus and daffodils out at the moment and the grass is definitely growing. It’s a lovely time of year.

9. Thanks so much for the pattern Rose. It does look like more than one block!
    Happy St. Patrick’s Day. My late husband’s parents emigrated from Ireland as did my grandparents and I so love the culture I claim as my own!

• Hi Madeline. The Irish certainly know how to celebrate. Apparently even the Irish Ambassador to the UK came to our parade here in Birmingham.

10. Hi Rose, I totally agree with you when you say that you love the way that both crosses and diamond patterns appear when they are all sewn together. The quilt would look great in any color combination.

I can’t believe that you mowed your lawn in March. It’s still very cold here – we had 15 inches and the forecast is for another storm on Tuesday. Bah humbug!

• Hi Claire. We’ve had some lovely spring like weather – all the daffodils are out and the days are getting noticeably longer. I know you’ve had dreadful weather – I just hope that it doesn’t cross the Atlantic to us. I hope your snow on Tuesday isn’t too deep and melts quickly.

11. Doreen Robin says:

Very neat quilt pattern, you are very creative. Thank you for the video. I love the bagpipes and felt like I was there in person! Have a fun weekend.

12. Elizabeth (Beth) Cross-Grocholski says:

Wow Love the parade, I come from a very Scottish town but didn;t hear of any parade here (I am new and not always up on the news) Meanwhile, while you are gardening we are recovering from a very fierce snow storm. It was windy the snow light so I have a patch of frozen grass surrounded by drifts of snow from 1/4″ to 2 feet deep, It took my Grandson 2 1/2 hours to shovel the Driveway,Enjoy ,

• Hi Beth. I believe that Birmingham’s parade is the third biggest after Dublin and New York, so not everyone celebrates the way the Brummies do. Luckily we escaped the snow down here – in fact it’s been remarkably mild. How lucky to have a grandson to do the shovelling for you!

13. Thanks Rose!

Love this quilt, and the parade! I have a couple of questions though (you knew I would 😉):
    Is there any special significance to the different kilt/uniform colors? Are they just different bands, or from different areas?

Also, on another “note,” is there a traditional but feminine Scottish quilt pattern that
    you might know of and share?

Thanks again – hope you have a wonderful weekend! Annie

• Hi Annie. There is huge significance in the different colours and uniforms, but I’m afraid that I don’t know how to recognise them all. Birmingham seems to have lots of links with Ireland through societies like the Birmingham-Sligo group or Birmingham-Galway and so on.
      On the question of Scottish quilts, I don’t have a pattern for the sort of quilt that you are looking for – your best bet is probably just to look on google or pinterest.

14. Linda Butler says:

Hi Rose, I love the pattern of this quilt – I must make it. I am just finishing a log cabin quilt in shades of green and cream. The weather last week in Bucks was lovely. Spring has sprung. Today I spent all day gardening. Always look forward to seeing your quilts.

• Hi Linda. It’s always satisfying to finish a quilt, isn’t it. Like you, I have been out in the garden – I love this time of year when everything is such a lovely fresh green and the blossom is coming out.

15. Lovely quilt pattern as always. Oh I do love the bagpipes, whether Irish or Scottish – they played really well too. Thanks for sharing that with us.

• Hi June. It’s amazing how popular the bagpipes are. I was also surprised at home many bagpipe bands were in the parade. Birmingham definitely has more links with Ireland than I’d realised.