Grandmothers Choice Quilt Pattern

Grandmothers choice quilt

Grandmothers choice quilt

For the Grandmothers Choice quilt I have used two different blocks to create a quilt that could be suitably masculine in some colour choices or delightfully feminine in different colour choices.  The quilt is rectangular and is rather large at 64″ by 94″, using twenty four blocks which are all 15″ square finished size.  To complete the quilt I used 1.3/4 yards of white, 2.1/4 yards of brown and 2.3/4 yards of yellow fabric.

You can buy these fabrics at a discount in this week’s special offer.

Cutting requirements for the grandmothers choice quilt

Completed quilt blocks

Completed quilt blocks

3.1/2″ squares:  seventy two brown, forty eight white

6.1/2″ squares:  forty eight brown

6.1/2″ by 3.1/2″ rectangles:  forty eight yellow

6.7/8″ squares:  twenty four white, twenty four yellow

For the border you will need to cut eight 2.1/2″ yellow strips across the width of fabric.

Grandmothers choice quilt block

Grandmothers choice quilt block

Make the grandmothers choice quilt block

Definitely an easy one this!  Place a 6.1/2″ brown square in each corner with a 3.1/2″ brown square in the middle.  Between each pair of corners place a yellow rectangle.  Sew the pieces together to form three rows and then sew the rows to each other to complete the block.  You need to make twelve of these.

Make half square triangles

Use the 6.7/8″ squares to make half square triangle units.  Place a yellow and a white square with right sides together and mark a line along the diagonal.  Sew a 1/4″ seam either side of the marked line and cut along the line.  This will produce two half square triangle units which are now 6.1/2″ squares.  Press the seam allowances towards the yellow and trim the two corners where fabric sticks out.

Make the alternate block

Alaska Homestead quilt block layout

Alaska Homestead quilt block layout

For the alternate block I have chosen the Alaska Homestead quilt block.  Lay the squares out as shown with a half square triangle in each corner and a 3.1/2″ brown square in the middle.  Place the triangles so that the white is always on the outside, forming the corners of the block.

Between each pair of corners place a brown square and a white square.  As you can see, that means that the central cross is made of alternating brown and white squares.

Sew the rows to each other

Sew the rows to each other

In the first and third rows you need to sew the two small squares together first.  Then sew the pieces together across the rows.  The second row is straightforward – just sew all the squares together across the row.

Sew the rows to each other to complete the alternate block.  You need to make twelve of these.

Rows 1 and 6

Rows 1 and 6

Assemble the grandmothers choice quilt

The blocks are sewn together in six rows of four.  Each row contains two grandmothers choice block and two alternate blocks.  Rows one and six are made with an alternate block at each end and two grandmothers choice blocks between them.

Rows 2 - 5

Rows 2 – 5

The blocks are reversed for rows 2, 3, 4 and 5, with a grandmothers choice block at each end and two alternate blocks between them.

Sew the blocks together across each row and then sew the rows to each other.

Make the border with 2.1/2″ strips of yellow fabric.  You’ll need two lengths of 60.1/2″ for the top and bottom with two lengths of 94.1/2″ for the sides.

That completes the quilt top.  It is now ready for layering, quilting and binding.  Full details of these steps can be found in the beginner quilting section.

Bourneville pavilion

Bourneville pavilion

After all my gardening last week, I needed a trip to the tip to take all my garden clippings.  I have to go through a part of Birmingham called Bourneville – which of course is where all the chocolate is made.  I will go to Cadbury World one day and show you some photos, but on this particular day it was the Pavilion that struck me.

Bourneville pavilion - side view

Bourneville pavilion – side view

When the boys were young I took them to cricket grounds all over the country for their games, but I don’t remember ever seeing such a beautiful pavilion as this one.  Before you ask, yes it was raining when I took these photos.  You can see the rain spots on the top photo!

Comments

1. Dear Rose this quilt is definitely this Grandmother’s Choice. Will have to have a go at this but as you say suitable for all sorts of colour combinations.

Love the photos of the Pavilion. So much grander than the usual sheds.

I hope you have a wonderful Mothering Sunday.

all best Janny

2. Janet M Cali says:

Thank you such a pleasure to receive your emails!!!

Love the picture of the pavilion. Can’t wait to see pictures of Cadbury.
    Love the quilt looks easy and the way you explain it it is easy. Raining today at least it is not snowing. We only have a about 2″left as it has melted quite nicely. I guess it will not be here until May. We will have mud instead.
    Almost finished with my yellow and green quilt Just needs the binding. What to do next. Hmm.
    Have a great weekend and Happy Quilting.

• Hi Sandra. Glad you snow is disappearing. We’ve had lovely sunshine today. Lovely for you to be able to choose which new quilt to make.

4. Carol Szalasny says:

Your quilt patterns are outstanding and yet easy too! You also explain how to make the blocks so well. I really enjoy hearing (and seeing) about your travels and what has gone on during your week! I live in the US, so very interesting! Thank you for sharing!

5. Linda Butler says:

Hi Rose – another beautiful quilt. The building at Bourneville looks lovely. Always thought I would like to go to Cadbury World (often passed the road sign on the M40). May I ask you Rose, what do you do with all the quilts you make?

• Hi Linda. I haven’t been to Cadbury world since the children were tiny. I don’t get to finish many quilts. That’s one of my jobs for this year.

6. Rose, what a really nice pattern and it would look good in several
    different colour combinations. Thank you.
    The Bourneville pavilion looks like a beautiful building.
    Rose, you definitely keep busy. Have a sew happy week-end.

7. Arleen Salmon says:

This quilt is quite attractive to me. I like the shapes, colors and pattern. Thank you for sharing your creativity!

8. Christine Bower says:

A beautiful quilt, which I shall like to have an attempt at. New places for you to enjoy, but choose a fine day

9. Another winner! Friday is not Friday until I open your email with the latest quilt pattern. I can not tell you how many of your quilts I have made. I wish I could remember how I found your website, but the years have been well spent. Keep up the great work, and I love your photos. They bring England to Texas!

• Thanks for your kind words, Linda. Glad you like the quilts. I love being able to share with other quilters. I bet your weather is a lot warmer in Texas than ours is here in the UK!

10. Irena Mangone says:

Dear Rose Thank yiu for another lovely quilt pattern.

11. Elizabeth (Beth) Cross-Grocholski says:

Hi Rose . I am so impressed by this quilt, I have started to go through my collection of American quilt books and Magazines. A lot of them went right out into recycling, but Grandmothers Choice I am adding to my collection, Just beautiful . Thank you. Also love your photos, Here in Ontario Canada we had more snow today after 2 days of wearing lighter coats and NO boots.

• Hi Beth.Glad you like the quilt. I’m also trying to sort out my old magazines. I’m just taking out the particular articles that I like rather than keeping the entire magazine. That should save some space.

12. margaret says:

loved the photos of Bourneville Pavillion ,plus all the great ideas for quilting patterns .

• Thanks, Margaret. Glad you like the quilt patterns – and I love being able to share the delights of Birmingham.

13. I don;t know how you manage to come up with so many lovely quilt patterns – this is a particularly unusual pattern and yes, pleasingly masculine.- which may have something to do with it being a rectangle.

The Bourneville pavilion is indeed spectacular – Tudor I suppose? I don’t dare visit Cadbury World, they’d never get me to leave!

• Morning, June. I just love designing quilts – I feel I’m lucky to be able to spend so much time on it. The thing with Cadbury’s is that you are offered limited numbers of chocolates as you walk round the tour, but then when you get to the end there’s a seconds shop where there are multiple mountains of chocolate and chocolate products. Very difficult to move out of the shop!