Times Remembered Quilt Pattern

Times remembered quilt

Times remembered quilt

I chose the Times Remembered quilt block for this quilt because that’s what I always find myself doing at the start of a new year – taking a glance back at the previous year.  Whether or not you do the same, I hope that you thoroughly enjoyed your festive break and will have a wonderful new year.

The Star and Cross block is my choice for an alternative.  I’m quite pleased with the way that it forms a circle around the central area of the quilt.  There are sixteen blocks – eight of each – and they are all 15″ square finished size.  Altogether I used 1/2 yard of dark blue, 3/4 yard of medium blue, 1.1/4 yards of light blue, 1.1/2 yards each of red and white fabrics.  The quilt measures 66″ square.

You can buy these fabrics at a discount in this week’s special offer.

Cutting requirements for the times remembered quilt

Completed quilt blocks

Completed quilt blocks

3.1/2″ squares:  forty dark blue, forty eight medium blue, thirty two light blue for the times remembered blocks,  together with forty eight white and sixty four light blue for the star and cross quilt

3.1/2″ by 9.1/2″ rectangles:  eight medium blue, eight red for the times block, together with eight white for the star block

3.7/8″ squares:  sixteen each in red and white for the times block, together with thirty two each in light blue and white for the star block

For the border you will need seven 2.1/2″ strips of red cut across the width of fabric.

Making half square triangle units

I’ve used 3.7/8″ squares for the half square triangles, in the colour pairings listed above.  Place two squares with right sides together and mark a line along the diagonal.

Sew a 1/4″ seam either side of the marked line and cut along the line.  This will produce two half square triangle units which are now 3.1/2″ squares.

Press the seam allowances towards the darker fabric and trim the two corners where fabric sticks out.

Times remembered quilt block layout

Times remembered quilt block layout

Make the times remembered quilt block

Lay the patchwork pieces out as shown in the photo.  Place a dark blue square in each corner and in the middle.  Add a light blue square on each edge of the central square and a red/white half square triangle in each corner of that central area.  Place these so that the white triangles are on the outside, forming the corners of that area.

For the outer frame you need a medium blue rectangle at the top, a red rectangle at the bottom and three medium blue squares on each side.

Sew the squares together across each row and then sew the rows to each other to complete the block.  Make eight of them.

Star and cross quilt block layout

Star and cross quilt block layout

Make the star and cross quilt block

Lay the patchwork out as shown.  Form the central cross with a white rectangle in row three and a white square above and below it.  Place a white square in each corner of the block, with a blue/white half square triangle forming a butterfly shape across each corner.

Place a light blue square in the middle of each edge of the block.  Add the remaining light blue squares diagonally inside each white corner square.

Sew the squares together across each row and sew the rows to each other to complete the block.  Make eight of them.

Row one

Row one

Assemble the times remembered quilt

Sew the blocks together in four rows of four.  In row one place two star blocks in the middle with a times block at each end of the row.  Place these so that the red rectangles are at the bottom of the blocks.

Row two

Row two

The second row is made with two times blocks in the middle and a star block at each end.  Place the times blocks so that the red rectangle is first on the right and then on the bottom of the blocks.

Row three

Row three

For the third row the blocks are the same as for the second row, but this time the red rectangles are first on the top and then on the left of the blocks.  This is how the cross in the centre of the quilt is formed.

Row four

Row four

Finally the fourth row comprises two star blocks in the middle with a times block at each end.  Rotate the times blocks so that the red rectangles are at the top of the blocks.

I’ve used 3.1/2″ strips of red for the quilt border.  You’ll need two lengths of 60.1/2″ for the top and bottom of the quilt and two lengths of 66.1/2″ for the sides.

That completes the Times Remembered quilt top.  It is now ready for layering, quilting and binding.  Full details of these steps can be found in the beginner quilting section.

Earlswood lakes

Earlswood lakes

I’ve had a very relaxing break.  While my sewing machine was carefully tidied away I took lots of lovely walks.  One in particular to Earlswood Lakes gave me some gorgeous scenes of the sun shining on the water:  sometimes my camera just shows this as a blur, but for some reason this time it showed the sun’s reflection beautifully.  I think that I’ll have to try and use this particular photo as the basis of a quilt.

Holly's vest

Holly’s vest

In addition I wanted to share with you a baby vest that I adapted for my granddaughter, Holly.  It was very simple to make – I added some text to a photo of Christmas fabric and then printed it on plain fabric.  I sewed that and a holly shape on to the vest, giving a festive vest.  It was a really simple way of personalising a gift for her.

Comments

1. Rhonda Morrison says:

So pretty. I love your quilts. I think I am going to make this one for my husband’s birthday using patriotic fabric.

2. The quilt is beautiful. But, I really love the picture of the sun shining on the lake. It is so peaceful. I’m sure that Holly looked adorable (as always) in her Holiday vest. Happy New Year to you and yours.

3. Angela Wagstaff says:

Happy New Year.

My resolution is to buy less fabric and sew the fabric I have; wonder how long that will last !!

Angela

4. Holly’s personalized baby vest is very cute! With that name she definitely needs a Christmas quilt on her bed every Christmas season.

5. Sue Craighead says:

Rose, your newsletter was a wonderful surprise present today, with the lovely pattern you gave to us. I look forward to make this quilt as soon as I complete two projects which I intended to have done by Christmas! Medical/physical issues held me back for a while but I an eager to start back on projects. This pattern makes such a lovely quilt that I want to make it for my daughter, who has been my rock during the rough times and my joy at all times. Also, you are an excellent instructor on your video. Each picture is explained in simple, easy terms that no one could misunderstand, with no extra jumble of unnecessary words or personal thoughts. Just the facts….;) Thank you so much for your generous sharing of your talent. Have a wonderful weekend and stay warm.

6. Thank you so much for your never-ending generosity in sharing your quilt patterns. Just wanted you to know how appreciated they are! Wishing you a wonderful new year!

7. Maralyn Todd Jones says:

What a fabulous quilt. I am merely a beginner. This design is on my ‘to try list’.

8. Rose, The quilt is gorgeous! I love seeing all your quilts, i’m so inspired. Have a great day Rose, see you next time.

9. Rose, First of all a very happy and healthy 2017 to you and yours.
    I really like this first pattern of the new year..Nice touch with the vest for Holly.

That is a stunning photo of Earlswood Lakes. Rose, you are artistic.
    Happy sewing week-end.

• Thanks, Mary. Actually the lakes were just gorgeous – it wouldn’t have mattered which part I used for the photo.

10. Janet Gould says:

Happy New Year to you too Rose. Love the personalised baby vest

11. Happy New Year, Rose. Your beautiful quilt would look great in any color combination. The personalized festive vest you made for Holly was really adorable. We call them onesies here in the U.S.
    Earlswood Lakes looks like a nice, peaceful walk. You’re lucky to not have bears lurking about. They are all over Connecticut. There were 2 across the street from where I live feeding on a neighbor’s bird feeder.

Oh Rose, Happy New Year to you and your family. Love the quilt and I too remiss about days gone by. Have not started quilting in this new year as I have been feeling poorly.
    Have about 3 quilts pinned and ready to go when I am ready. Love the quilt and I am happy you had a nice relaxing festive time. Love the picture of the sun on the water. I love sun sets or sunrises.
    Hope you had great fun with Holly bet she looked cute in that vest that you made for her.
    Have a great weekend and Happy Quilting.

13. Kathy Betty says:

Rose, Thanking for posting ideas for blocks. My kids love picking out their favorites for me to make!!

14. Doreen Robin says:

Happy New Year to You. I so enjoy your quilt creations and tales and photos of your adventures. I feel like an arm chair tourist. Thank You.
    Doreen

15. Rosemary harding says:

Happy New Year to you and your family, for 2017.
    I think it’s good to take time out to relax from sewing etc.
    I live near the sea, I try to take a walk along the beach, I walk through the woods to get there and to here the birds and see the flowers etc coming through the woods lands,It’s peaceful walk.
    I love your picture with the sun shining on the water it reminds me of somewhere I have been in Danbury Essex where we used to live.
    What a nice idea for Holly’s vest, and your lovely quilt pattern well done.I am making a quilt for our Son and his wife to be this year, called courthouse steps and log cabin I am just cutting it out at this time, it’s made of different shades of blue.
    Happy sewing and thank you for sharing your quilt patterns and where you have been.
    Lots of love Rosemary x x x

• Thanks, Rosemary. I love going for walks and try to get out as often as I can. Your son’s quilt sounds lovely.

16. Thanks Rose, I wish you a happy new year and look forward to seeing the quilts each week. This one is very interesting with the wo techniques. Thanks again from Ann

17. Not the most straightforward quilt pattern, but the result is stunning, so obviously well worth the effort and a great start to 2017. Good to know you had a relaxing break over Christmas – we did too, but I’m happy to get back to normal. That personalised holly outfit is too cute – and you’re very clever and creative.