Jacobs Ladder Diamond Quilt

Jacobs ladder diamond quilt

Jacobs ladder diamond quilt

I’ve made the Jacobs Ladder Diamond quilt using a variation of the Jacobs Ladder quilt block, but I’ve used rotations of the block to give the diamond design and I’ve put a red square in the middle to tie in with the red border.

The quilt measures 84″ square and I’ve used thirty six 12″ square blocks.  Fabric used was 1.1/4 yards of dark blue, 1.3/4 yards of medium blue with 2 yards of light blue, 3/4 yard each of yellow and green and 1.3/4 yards of red.  You can buy these fabrics at a discount in this week’s special offer.  I have deliberately used solid fabrics because I want to use quilting to highlight the diamond shapes and I thought that this would show up better with plain rather than patterned fabrics.  You can buy these fabrics at a discount in this week’s special offer.

Completed quilt blocks

Completed quilt blocks

Cutting requirements for the Jacobs Ladder Diamond quilt

2.1/2″ squares:  three hundred and fifty six medium blue, four red, two hundred and eighty eight light blue, sixteen dark blue

4.7/8″ squares:  thirty six each in green and light blue, thirty six each in yellow and dark blue

For the border you will need to cut four 6.7/8″ squares in red and in dark blue, together with eight 6.1/2″ red strips cut across the width of fabric.

Make half square triangles using the 4.7/8″ squares in light blue/green and in dark blue/yellow.  Place two squares with right sides together and mark a line along the diagonal.  Sew a 1/4″ seam either side of the marked line and cut along the line.  This will produce two half square triangle units which are now 4.1/2″ squares.  Press the seam allowances towards the darker fabric and trim the two corners where fabric sticks out.

You’ll also need to make half square triangles with the 6.7/8″ red and dark blue squares for the border.  These will give you 6.1/2″ squares.

Make 4 patch units

Make 4 patch units

Make the four patch units

There are so many four patch units required that I would recommend strip piecing.  Sew 2.1/2″ lengths of light blue/medium blue or medium blue/dark blue together along the length.  Cut at 2.1/2″ intervals.  This will give you rectangles 4.1/2″ by 2.1/2″, each containing two squares.  Sew these rectangles together in pairs, rotating them so that the colours are diagonally opposite each other.

You will need four of these units with a red square replacing the medium blue in the top left corner.

Quilt block layout

Quilt block layout

Assemble the Jacobs Ladder quilt block

Lay the squares out in three rows of three.  In the first row there’s a light blue/medium blue at each end and a light blue/green half square triangle in the middle.  The second row is made with a medium blue/light blue four patch unit in the middle, a green/light blue triangle unit n the left and a dark blue/yellow triangle unit on the right.  For the third row you need a medium blue/light blue four patch unit on the left, a yellow/dark blue triangle unit in the middle and a medium blue/dark blue four patch unit on the right.

Sew the squares together across each row and then sew the rows to each other to complete the block.  Make thirty two of these.

Alternate quilt block layout

Alternate quilt block layout

Assemble the alternate block

I have changed just one square in the alternate block.  The top left square is red instead of medium blue.  You need to make four of this version of the block.

Assemble the Jacobs Ladder Diamond quilt

Rows 1 and 2

Rows 1 and 2

Sew the blocks together in six rows of six.  Rows one and two are exactly the same as each other.  I’ll describe the blocks in terms of the stripe formed by the lines of the triangles.  In the first three blocks these stripes go up from bottom left to top right.  For the second three blocks the stripes go down from top left to bottom right

Rows 3 and 4

Rows 3 and 4

In row three the first two and last two blocks are the same as in the first two rows.  The middle two blocks are the alternate blocks and they are placed so that the red squares are side by side at the bottom of the row.

Row four is where the design starts to form the bottom part of the overall diamond design.  The first two blocks have the stripes going down from top left to bottom right.  These are followed by two alternate blocks with the red squares together at the top of the row.  In the final two blocks the stripes go up from bottom left to top right.

Rows 5 and 6

Rows 5 and 6

Finally rows five and six are the same as each other.  The first three blocks in these rows have the stripes running down from top left to bottom right while the last three blocks have the stripes running up from bottom left to top right.

Sew the blocks together across each row and then sew the rows to each other.

The borders are made with two red/dark blue triangles in the middle and lengths of red fabric on either side.  For the top and bottom of the quilt sew 30.1/2″ lengths of red to each side of the triangles.  Sew 36.1/2″ lengths of red to the sides of the triangles for the sides of the quilt.  The half square triangles are made from 6.7/8″ squares and the red fabric strips are 6.1/2″ wide.

That completes the Jacobs Ladder Diamond quilt top.  It is now ready for layering, quilting and binding.  Full details of these steps can be found in the beginner quilting section.

There are no sightseeing photos this week, I’m afraid.  I’ve had real problems with my computer system and most of the week has been spent trying to sort these out.  This morning I’m off to the dentist and this afternoon I shall sit back and relax!
Craftsy

Comments

1. This is slightly too busy a pattern for me but would look great in a minimalist room, I imagine..

Good luck with the dentist and the cold weather. Hope you get your computer sorted out – we don’t realise how much we rely on them until they go wrong. Wrap up warm and enjoy your relax.

• Hi June. I find computer problems so frustrating b ecause they are probably easy to fix if you know what you’re doing (which of course I don’t). It’s actually a gorgeous sunny day now and all the main roads seem to be clear, although my road is still white over.

2. Good Morning Rose Hope the visit to the dentist goes well and no problems are found.

Sorry to hear about the problems with your computer. Like cars they are good when there are no troubles but a real nuisance when there is.

Think I will have to pass on this pattern. I think it looks very intriguing but quite a bit beyond my skills – at the moment anyway. I hope and expect you more skilled followers will have great pleasure in making it.

all best Janny

• Hi Janny. Honestly it only involves squares and half square triangles – the design looks more complex than it is. I’m back from the dentist now. I’ve been worrying about it all week because he was extracting one of my back teeth, but it only took minutes and I feel much better than I thought I would.

3. Sandy Vickers says:

Love, love,love this design! Will be perfect for one of the grandsons. Thank you so much for the inspiration.

4. Carla J Seeks says:

Hello from USA again. Look forward to all your patterns…..not sure I am ready for this one. Left our WI home for our AZ retreat….found a quilt shop with an extensive line of vintage, and reproduction material…also vivid Hispanic and Western line….but picked up basic colors following your Times Remembered pattern. Haven’t cut anything out yet as I have to finish a baby throw out of pieces I had leftover from other baby throws….stocking up….large fertile family. Never know who is expecting next. Thank you.

• Hi Carla. That quilt shop sounds like a dream. It’s always lovely to see new fabrics, isn’t it? Your family is more fertile than mine – I still only have one granddaughter.

5. Olive Procyshyn says:

Well Rose so pleased to read your tooth extraction was not too bad. Be careful and don’t let the cold get to your jaw.
    Had some light snow down in Suffolk but the wind is bitterly cold and very strong. We are just 12 miles from Felixstowe where they are on flood alert. Glad we are on high ground
    This new quilt does look very different and thank you for the pattern.

• Hi Olive. We’ve also had light snow – just enough to cover the ground. As you say, the wind is the main problem. You must be feeling very relieved not to be in the path of any tidal surge or flooding.

6. Rosemary Thompson says:

Hi Rose
    I haven’t tried the subtitles on your videos before – they are worth a look for some interpretations of your instructions! Love the quilts every week – how do you find the time!

• Thanks for the suggestion, Rosemary. Someone told me once that the subtitles contained swear words on one video, so I’ve always been a bit nervous of them. I’m glad you had a good experience.

7. Julie Martin says:

loving the look of this, and it looks a lot more complex than it is when you break it down. Looks like one of those that will come together quickly once all the cutting is done.

8. Rose, Glad the trip to the dentist wasn’t as bad as anticipated..
    As for your computer and fixing the problem with your ceiling
    hope it’s all sorted soon.
    This pattern is absolutely beautiful. I’m disagreeing with one poster
    who thought it was too busy. I cannot see it.
    Rose , stay safe and warm as the weather in England is set to reach arctic conditions.

• Thanks, Mary. I’m glad you like the pattern. Our weather here in Birmingham isn’t nearly as bad as they are having in other parts of the country. When I went to the dentist all the main roads had been gritted and were easy to drive on.

9. Anne Coldron says:

Hi Rose from down under (NZ). We are supposedly enjoying summer but it has been very up and down so far! Love getting your e mails but I am amazed at how prolific you are. Do you make all those quilt tops your self and if you only have 1 grandchild who do you give them to? I have 16 grandchildren and 2 great grand daughters so I never seem to run out of recipients. Don’t feel that old though! I have decided this year (as I do most years in January lol) I am not going to buy more fabric until I have used up some of my stash. Especially my scraps. I can see a lot of scrap quilts in my future. Keep warm and safe.

• Hi Anne. Like you, I’m going to try and use up my fabric stash this year. Yes, I do make all the quilt tops myself, but I rarely seem to have time to layer, quilt and bind them. That’s another thing on my list for 2017. If there’s no obvious recipient for those quilts that I do finish, then I give them to Linus.

10. gentleenuff says:

HI Rose, glad to hear your dental appt wasn’t so bad after all. Like you, I always dread going in.
    This certainly is a different take on Jacobs Ladder. I have lots of grays, blacks and whites left over. How would it look in those colors? What about an accent color?

• I think that those colours would look great in this quilt. The important thing is the contrasts between the fabrics. If it was me, I would use red as well, but that’s just because I like what red can do to give a quilt some pop.

11. hi rose what a eye catcher, l love this one. brian

12. Carole Manuel says:

What a stunning pattern. Maybe one day……..
    Glad your dental visit went well. I have to go for a filling replacement soon and am not looking forward to it one bit.

• Hi Carole. I’m really impressed with the dentist that I’ve found since I came to Birmingham. Very efficient and cheerful. He had the tooth out before I’d really realised that he’d started yanking on it!

13. Lynne Barker says:

Hello Rose, I hope you manage to get to grips with your computer…I’ve just found out our local community centre is opening in February and I’m hoping to set up a small workshop in quilts and bag making for ladies who have never used a sewing machine before, this is my first venture so I’m quite excited, will keep you informed. weather quite mild here in Chorley Lancashire which is good. Have a good week end Lynne

• Hi Lynne. What a lovely idea. I’m always glad to see new people being introduced to quilting and sewing. I always hope that they will get as much pleasure from their quilting as I do – and there are so many lovely things that they can make. Good luck with the workshops. Glad your weather’s not too bad in Lancs. I had assumed that you would have worse weather than we do.

14. Marilyn Larkin says:

Gosh, your weather sounds cold and deep. I’ve forgotten just how cold January can be in the UK. If you like tennis and watch the Australian Open on TV, that is exactly what my weather is like, we are only an hour’s drive away. But…. the hot weather is also good for sewing, too hot to do anything else and I LOVE your new quilt. So ingenious to turn the jacob’s ladder around to create the design. This is a keeper and doer for me. Glad the extraction went better than expected. Stay warm and take care.

• Hi Marilyn. Oh I do envy you your weather. We could do with some warm sunshine over here. The quilt is very easy to make, and I’m always pleased when I can continue the design into the border.

15. Hi Rose love the pattern but have a quilt to finish first before doing anything new😝. I’m trying to be good this year and not buy any more material until I use up some – I know it will be difficult to resist as there are so many beautiful fabrics to choose from 😜. At the moment I’m making draught excluders! Yes it’s snowy and cold here too in the North of Scotland! ❄️☃. Happy New Year Rose & Good Health for 2017 😉

• Thanks, Dianne. I think your weather is probably a lot worse than ours is – hope the draught excluder does its job.

16. vani hegde says:

Hai Rose, Really it is very design. Colour combination is also very good.thanks for tutorials. Hats off to your talents.

17. Rosemary harding says:

Hi Rose
    Thank you for your lovely quilt pattern, I have all ready made jacob’s ladder quilt for our son and his wife, which they love very much.
    Hoping that you will get your computer sorted out soon, and you are feeling much better today?
    We have had some bad weather here in Kessingland Suffolk, with snow and, then high winds and now rain. And it’s cold.
    Lots of love Rosemary 😘😘

• Hi Rosemary. Thanks for your wishes. Our weather wasn’t too bad in Birmingham – not as bad as forecast, anyway.