Christmas Wreath Quilt Pattern

Christmas wreath quilt

Christmas wreath quilt

I’ve made the Christmas Wreath quilt with four 21″ blocks of my own design – and obviously I have used Christmas fabrics. I’m a bit late starting on all my Christmas projects, but I felt that this design would be suitable for a throw, wall hanging or tablecloth, so it’s quite a versatile start to my Christmas sewing.

If you live in America, I hope that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration yesterday.

The quilt measures 50″ square and I have used 1.1/4 yards each of dark green and red, 3/4 yard of gold and 1/4 yard each of white and light green.  You can buy these fabrics at a 10% discount in this week’s special offer.

Christmas wreath quilt block

Christmas wreath quilt block

Cutting requirements for the Christmas wreath quilt

3.7/8″ squares:  sixteen each in dark green and white, twenty four each in red and gold, eight each in red and light green

3.1/2″ squares:  thirty two dark green, sixteen red, forty eight gold

For the borders you will need to cut five 2.1/2″ strips in both red and dark green, cut across the width of fabric

Make half square triangles

Make half square triangles

Making the half square triangle units

Make half square triangle units with the 3.7/8″ squares in the colour combinations listed above.  Place two squares with right sides together and mark a line along the diagonal.

Sew a 1/4″ seam either side of the marked line and cut along the line.  This will make two half square triangle units which are now 3.1/2″ squares.  Press the seam allowances towards the darker fabric and trim the two corners where the triangle tips stick out.

Central area of block

Central area of block

Making the Christmas wreath quilt block

As it’s quite a large block (classified as a seven patch), I’m showing the layout in stages.  The central area of the block is a simple nine patch.  There’s a red square in the middle with a dark green square on each edge of the central square.  In the corners are four red/light green half square triangles, all placed so that the red is on the outside, forming the corners of this section.

Add the next frame

Add the next frame

Use red/gold half square triangles to form the corners of the next frame.  Again these are placed with the red on the outside to form the corners.  Between each pair of corners place three gold squares.

Add the corners of the final frame

Add the corners of the final frame

In the final frame of the block make the corners with one dark green square and two green/white half square triangles.  As you can see, the half square triangles are placed so that the two green triangles with the green square form a large triangle across each corner.

Christmas wreath quilt block full layout

Christmas wreath quilt block full layout

Place one red square and two red/gold half square triangles in the spaces between the corner triangles.  The red square is in the middle of each edge of the quilt block.

Sew the squares together across each row and then sew the rows to each other to complete the block.  Make four of these.

Add the quilt borders

Add the quilt borders

Add the borders

For the first border I have used 2.1/2″ strips of red.  You’ll need two lengths of 42.1/2″ for the top and bottom of the quilt and two lengths of 46.1/2″ for the sides of the quilt.

Make the second border with 2.1/2″ strips of dark green fabric – two lengths of 46.1/2″ for the top and bottom of the quilt and two lengths of 50.1/2″ for the sides.

That completes the Christmas wreath quilt top.  It is now ready for layering, quilting and binding.  Full details of these steps can be found in the beginner quilting section.

View from Gas Street

View from Gas Street

I’ve always known that there are many parts of Birmingham that I haven’t explored yet, but it was a very welcome surprise when a friend took me to an area right in the city centre which I hadn’t known existed.  It’s beside the canal and is called Gas Street because it was the first street in Birmingham to get gas lighting – obviously a very long time ago!

It’s a beautiful, very vibrant area with a cinema and loads of restaurants.

Part view of the Cube

Part view of the Cube

One of the buildings is called the Cube.  That had always rather thrown me – most buildings are cubes, aren’t they?  But it is a very unusual and attractive design.

View down to the basement

View down to the basement

What I hadn’t expected was that the inside of the building is hollow, so that you can see up and down to all the other floors.  What a gorgeous design for a quilt that is on the basement floor!

Comments

1. Sunny Bambridge says:

Hi Rose only found your newsletter by going through junk mail, would you please put me back on your list as I haven’t had anything for a long time. I’m looking for some white on white and did send you an email re this. Love hearing all your news and seeing your lovely patterns, best wishes Sunny Bambridge.

2. Beautiful quilt, Rose. I also enjoy seeing the sights around Birmingham and everywhere you go. Thank you for all you do for us!

3. Thank you so much for this quilt! I may not get to it this year, but it will be one I will certainly try. Happy Christmas, early, and from this side of the pond, thanks for the Thanksgiving wishes!

4. Dear Rose it is beautiful , beautiful color combination

5. What a beautiful area you live in! I am looking forward to seeing the basement floor in a quilt pattern.

6. Trish Tarbuck says:

Hi Rose, nice quilt but on the back burner am afraid for this year.I laughed about the idea of shopping and I thought exactly the same but I had to go and collect something.Glad I did, it was a breeze, M&S very quiet.Going to Harrogate for the show this Sunday do hopefully it will be good.

• Hi Trish. I’m amazed that the shops were quiet – I bet you were relieved. Have a wonderful time at Harrogate – I did think of going but couldn’t face the travelling.

7. Sharon Lowe says:

Hello Rose, Thank you so much for sharing your quilt designs and the information on Birmingham. It is a real treat to see and enjoy your sights of interest and ideas. In case I don’t get back to you have a very Merry Christmas!

8. I am with you Rose. I make all my Christmas gifts, except for a few books I give here and there. So no frantic shopping sprees. Hate the crowds, the frantic shoppers looking for a “deal”. Too rainy, stormy for a walk so I will putter around in the sewing room instead. I am done with holiday sewing so going for a clean out and organization. I always look forward to your words and great quilt ideas.

• Hi Ellen. Oh you put me to shame – I do admire you for being so organised. I am still frantically trying to make my presents in time.

• Oh Rose it is easy to be organized when you are retired and have your days to yourself. I start making presents in January…ha they always get the same things…quilts, deco items, and dish towels, pot holders, and table mats. It seems like when I visit, every few years or so, they do live across the continent from me, no hand towels or pot holders….what do they eat them? Now with all the grands, grown and married they get the same things…so far no one has complained. Even so….what I am going to change now? I think not.

• Hi Ellen – you’re too modest. Even being retired you still need the self discipline to make all those presents. My guilty pleasure is curling up with a good book when I could be sewing on a binding or something.

9. Susan Taylor says:

Rose, It seems when you add vacation pictures at the bottom, the PDF link is blocked out. Just thought I would let you know it’s been that way the last two emails. Susan

• Thanks, Susan. That’s an interesting idea. I know that the print button has disappeared sometimes in the past, but I didn’t realise that it was missing again this week. Thanks for letting me know.

10. Rose, The pattern is lovely and would be suitable for other colour combinations.

In your photos I thought one of the buildings looked like the plus quilt. (lol)

Like you, I too, avoid the shops on crazy days. Enjoy your week-end

• Hi Mary. Yes, the Cube does look like a plus quilt – it’s a very distinctive design. It stands out on the skyline so I can use it to get my bearings sometimes when I get lost.

11. Ann Lundie says:

This is a lovely quilt Rose with its festive colours. I too love your Birmingham pictures. I’ve never been there but you make it sound so interesting. Have a great Christmas with your family. Thanks for all you do for us.

I love, love, love this quilt. It’s festive and I like the idea that it would make a lovely Christmas table cloth. I don’t know how long it will take before I can start sewing again.

I agree with one of your followers that the basement floor design would make a lovely quilt.

Oh Rose.
    Another great quilt,but I don’t think i will make it for this year. It will go on my list for after Christmas, to make for next year. Love the pictures that you add to the end, ikt makes me feel like I went on a short trip. Love hearing from you and thank you for the wishes. We will be having turkey for the rest of the weekend.
    Have a great weekend and Happy Quilting

• Thanks, Sandra. I think we have all reached the stage where we only have time to concentrate on smaller projects now. Enjoy the turkey leftovers!

14. I love your Christmas Quilt ,so festive for the Holidays, Thank you for showing it. Have a merry Christmas & a Happy new Year ,just keep on sewing and always display your Items

15. Chris Storzbach says:

I love this pattern, but I’m afraid it will have to be a “next year” quilt. This past several weeks over here in the US have been upsetting to say the least. I am hoping that a recount will reverse the election results, otherwise, I may have to leave my home since 1947 and come back to England or maybe Canada, it’s a bit closer!.

• hi Chris. I know that I was late getting a Christmas pattern out – not many quilters have the time now to start a new quilt, but as you say there is always next year.

16. Hi Rose, always enjoy your e-mails. You bring so much more than just quilting to us! Unfortunately I had to brave the shops for Black Friday, my hoover went yesterday morning, so BF was opportune! Have a good weekend, regards, Jean.

17. Hi Rose lovely Christmas quilt design – I will definitely have to do this one – it will have to be for next Christmas as I’m busy finishing off some Christmas stuff now. Am just back from holiday in Spain – lovely sunshine every day – not much sewing going on there – so back now to cold weather which will keep me indoors – hence more sewing getting done😜. I don’t know how you manage to do so much with your time😊. Enjoy😉

• Hi Dianne. Glad you enjoyed Spain. It’s far enough south to be much warmer than here, isn’t it. I think I might plan a trip there next year when the weather is still cold here.

18. Liz Siviter says:

Hello Rose, I’m new to your page, so just to say that we were at the NEC at the Good Food exhibition on Black Friday!!!! much more interesting!!!
    We have a narrow boat and have moored up opposite the cube, where you can see that narrow boat moored. Also Gas Street basin is a much used marina. Lovely reminders of happy days spent cruising around Birmingham.

• Hi Liz. The Good Food Exhibition was definitely a better use of the day than battling the crowds in the shops. How lovely to be able to moor up in gas street basin. I only know the canals in the central area: next summer I think I will try and walk much longer stretches of them.

19. I love all you tutorials. This quilt is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

20. What a stunning Christmas quilt! The beautiful fabrics look so incredible the way you’ve put them together. I’m in awe. I do enjoy reading about and seeing the photos of your various jaunts.

• Thanks, June. Christmas fabrics are always lovely because of all the gold thread running through them. I’ve just been to town to buy a zip and I love all the tinsel and carols and things – I’m a real sucker for Christmas!

21. Me too!

22. Liz Siviter says:

Hi Rose,
    How do I print the pattern, assuming that I am allowed to do. There isn’t a print button for this lovely pattern.
    By the way, being retired means that you are even busier than when working, I know I am!!!!

• Hi Liz. Glad to hear that you’re enjoying retirement so much. I’m so sorry, but I don’t know what’s happened to the Print button. It should be there but for some reason it sometimes disappears. All I can suggest is that you highlight the pattern and then copy and past to a word document. I’ll keep trying to sort out the print button.

23. I love this quilt Rose, thank you for the pattern. I adore the fabric am I able to purchase from you?
    Merry Christmas to you and your family.