Hemingway Quilt – Free Pattern

Hemingway quilt

Hemingway quilt

I have named the Hemingway quilt after the fabric range rather than after the author Ernest Hemingway, using more of the Makower fabrics that I bought recently.  I’ve been asked to make more rectangular quilts, so this one is 60″ by 78″.

For the quilt I’ve used three different 9″ quilt blocks which are all very simple to make, using 2.1/4 yards of light blue fabric, 1.1/4 yards of dark blue and 1 yard each of yellow and red fabrics.  You can buy these fabrics at a discount in this week’s special offer.

Three completed quilt blocks

Three completed quilt blocks

Cutting requirements for the Hemingway quilt

3.1/2″ by 9.1/2″ rectangles:  twelve light blue, twelve dark blue, twelve yellow

3.1/2″ squares:  sixty four light blue, sixteen yellow

3.7/8″ squares:  thirty two light blue, thirty two yellow

6.7/8″ squares:  twenty light blue

5.3/8″ squares:  forty dark blue

For the border you will need seven 3.1/2″ strips of red fabric cut across the width of fabric

Make half square triangles

Make half square triangles

Make the star block

Make half square triangle units with the 3.7/8″ squares.  First place a light blue and a yellow square with right sides together and mark a line along the diagonal.  Sew a 1/4″ seam either side of the marked line and cut along the line.  This will produce two half square triangle units which are now 3.1/2″ squares.

Star block layout

Star block layout

Lay the patchwork pieces out in three rows of three.  There’s a yellow square in the middle and a light blue square in each corner.  Finally place a half square triangle on each edge of the central square to make the star.

Sew the squares together across each row and then sew the rows to each other to complete the block.

This should now be a 9.1/2″ square and you need to make sixteen of them.

Make the stripey blocks

Make the stripey blocks

Make the stripey block

A very simple block:  sew together 3.1/2″ strips of dark blue, yellow and light blue fabrics to make one panel.  Now cut this at 9.1/2″ intervals to make 9.1/2″ squares.  You need to make twelve of these.

Cut the dark blue squares

Cut the dark blue squares

Make the diamond in a square blocks

First of all cut the 5.3/8″ dark blue squares along one diagonal to make two triangles from each square.

Place one triangle on each edge

Place one triangle on each edge

Place one triangle on each edge of the 6.7/8″ light blue square.

Sew the triangles to two opposite edges of the square first.

Sew two opposite edges

Sew two opposite edges

Notice that the dark blue triangles stick out 1/4″ beyond the light blue square on each side.  Press the triangles away from the square and sew the remaining two triangles to the other edges of the square.

Finally press these triangles open and trim the middle of each edge where the triangle tips stick out.

This is now a 9.1/2″ square and you need to make twenty of these.

Rows 1 and 8

Rows 1 and 8

Assemble the Hemingway quilt

Sew the blocks together in eight rows of six blocks.  The first and eighth rows are made using six star blocks sewn together in a row.

Rows 2 and 7

Rows 2 and 7

Make rows two and seven with six diamond in square blocks sewn together in a row.

Row 3

Row 3

For the third row place a diamond block at each end with four stripey blocks between them.  Note that light blue stripe is on the top.

Rows 4 and 5

Rows 4 and 5

In the fourth and fifth rows there is a diamond block at each end with a stripey block inside them on each side and two star blocks in the middle.  The stripey blocks are placed vertically with the dark blue nearest the stars.

Row 6

Row 6

Row six is similar to row three, having a diamond block at each end with four stripey blocks between them, but this time the dark blue is on top.

Sew the blocks together across each row and then sew the rows to each other.

Add the border

Add the border

Add the border

For the border use 3.1/2″ strips of red fabric.  You’ll need two lengths of 54.1/2″ for the top and bottom together with two lengths of 78.1/2″ for the sides.

That completes the Hemingway quilt top.  It is now ready for layering, quilting and binding.  Full details of these steps can be found in the beginner quilting section.

For some reason the ‘print’ button hasn’t appeared, so here’s a link for a pdf file:

My grand daughter

My grand daughter

I am delighted to confirm that I am now officially a Granny Smith!  My first grandchild, Holly Anna, is obviously the most delightful, beautiful and charming baby in all the world.  My son and his wife have done an amazing job of producing such a perfect little girl, making me a very proud grandmother.

Comments

1. Deborah Ward says:

Congratulations on becoming a Granny! Beautiful quilt and child!

• Thanks, Deborah. The baby far outshines the quilt!

• Kathy Betty says:

Rose, love your quilts and congratulations on becoming a Granny!! I have to wait just a little longer for my first grand baby!! She will be here around Christmas! Her name is Leona Rae Roberts and we all can’t wait!!!

Kathy

• Hi Kathy. How lovely to have that to look forward to. Good luck to Leona and her family when she arrives – what a lovely Christmas present for all of you.

• Kathy Betty says:

Yes we are getting a marvelous Christmas present this year!! You enjoy your new little one also. Babies are so much fun and precious!

2. Congratulations Rose and family.
    We know you will have tons of beautiful girlie quilts to make now. Enjoy her while she’s young…..they grow up way too fast.
    Love and hugs,🌹
    June in Texas.

3. Rose, just wanted you to know I have been receiving your emails I believe for a couple years now-I have so many of your patterns saved I will have to live to be 100 in order to do them all. I don’t leave comments very often but wanted you to know a girl here in the states is a faithful follower and has learned so much from you over the years. Thank-you very much for your sharing of knowledge.
    dee-las vegas nv.

• Thank you for those kind comments, Dee. Like you, I feel that I will need a very long life to make all the quilts that I would like to make.

4. Olive Procyshyn says:

Congratulations Grandma. Hope all is well and that baby Holly Anna brings much joy and happiness to you all.

• Thanks, Olive. She certainly seems a happy, contented little thing – although I don’t suppose her parents would agree at 3 in the morning when she won’t go back to sleep.

5. Thank you, Rose it loverly quilt I do appreciate it

6. Carol Smith says:

Congratulations Granny, as a fellow Smith I envy you as I was unable to have children so therefore no grandchildren. As usual another delightful quilt

• Thanks, Carol. My three children have brought me enormous happiness over the years. I’m so sorry that you didn’t have that opportunity.

7. Congratulations Rose on the birth of Holly and being a Granny and to the proud parents as well. I know just how you feel as my grandson arrived on the last day of May, mind you I had to wait until the grand old age of 73 to reach this happy state. How on earth did you manage to concentrate enough to design this week’s lovely quilt? Have fun at Malvern, it must be one of the prettiest settings for a quilt show.

• Thanks, Carole. The parents are being very good about sending photos. I live about 3 hours’ drive from them. Malvern is indeed a gorgeous setting – there’s a mature woodland just the other side of the road from the showground and the autumn colours this morning were delightful.

8. Trish Tarbuck says:

Congratulations Granny Rose, and congratulations to the new parents too.P?S. Quilt is also looking good.

9. Lola Howard says:

Congratulations to you “Granny Smith”,those grand
    babies are so precious .

10. Jane Claber says:

Congratulations Granny Smith. I became a first time grandma 3 months ago, so obviously my grandson is the most delightful, beautiful and charming baby in the world too!

11. Caroline Murray says:

Hi Rose, Congratulations to you and your family on th birth of your little Granddaughter.
    And thank you for the Hemmingway quilt pattern, lovely and it doesn’t look complicated:)
    Regards, Caroline x

12. Hi Rose. Congratulations on your grand child. What a lovely gift!
    I love this pattern but cannot locate the printer friendly button. I know your mind must have been elsewhere with that bundle of joy. Can you please send me the .pdf file? Thank you!

13. Janet Gould says:

Congratulations Rose on becoming a grandmother. It is a wonderful feeling, isn’t it? I became a grandmother nearly a year ago and can’t believe the change it has had on my life, no idea where the last year has gone !

14. Again, thank you so much for the lovely quilt patterns. And, congratulations on your new granddaughter. Grandkids are so great. When you get worn out, you just send them home. Thanks again.
    April Gorog in cold Southern Wisconsin, USA

15. Thank you Rose your tutorials are great and very clear thank you so much for sharing.

16. Congratulations on becoming a granny and on the beautiful quilt, I love it.

17. Congratulations Rose – what a joy to be a Grandma – may she bring you many many years of happiness and the excitement of sharing in her growing years. Well done to all of you. Love your new quilt.

18. Rose, congrats, I am so happy for you. I am working on a baby girl quilt right now for a great, great niece. I love all your quilt patterns. I can’t wait to see more pics of Holly Anna, enjoy your visit. GOD BLESS

19. Christine Southgate says:

Congratulations Granny Smith. Enjoy those lovely baby cuddles.

Thank you for another gorgeous quilt pattern. All being well, we will be moving into a new house next year & I plan to decorate one bedroom for my two (at present!!) granddaughters so I shall be spoilt for choice with all your superb patterns.

Christine

• Hi Christine. Good luck with moving house – I hope it all goes smoothly for you. It will be fun sewing new things for your new home.

20. Linda Legge says:

Congratulations Rose. There is nothing that equals being a Nan/Gran/Grandma. I have three delightful girls who I love very dearly. Will you be going to the Malvern show. Especially as you could pop in before or after to have a granny munch.

• Hi Linda. I went to Malvern this morning – a bit of a flying visit as I have so much on this weekend. I was actually a little disappointed – not as many quilts as usual. Perhaps we could meet up before the spring show.

21. Mignol Gregory says:

Hi Rose as usual Quilt looks great and Congratulations on your first grandchild I beat you by 21 and 12 great grant

22. Rose, Beautiful quilt. More important beautiful baby bless her. Hope you will be allowed to
    take photos at the quilt show. Rose you have a hectic time of it you sure have energy to
    burn long may it last. Have a sew happy week-end.

• Hi Mary. I took photos but I don’t think that I’m allowed to show them on the website. I think Grosvenor tend to be quite strict about that. I like having plenty to do – it makes the days fly by.

Another great quilt. I probably have 100 to someday make. My old senior center has asked me to crochet some lap blankets for an assisted living home. so I may have to slow down my quilting for awhile.
    Congrats and enjoy your grandchild because they tend to grow very fast, especially that first year. My grandbabies are not babies any longer. One is 3 and in preschool and the other is 2 and cannot wait to go to preschool. They change so quickly. Enjoy the precious moments.
    Have a great weekend and Happy Quilting.

• Thanks, Sandra. I’m sure that providing the crochet blankets will be just as rewarding as continuing your quilting. Like you, I have a mountain of quilts in my mind that I still want to make. Yes, I’m sure your grandchildren must be changing a lot – at that age they grow in leaps and bounds, don’t they.

24. Marilyn Larkin says:

Congratulations, a little someone to cuddle, to spoil, to treat, to share experiences with and to love. So many opportunities to create to share your life with Holly Anna. Enjoy every second you are with your son and his family. I love the rectangular style quilt, you are keeping up the high standard by presenting another quality design. Thank-you. Pssst. you will be the apple in your grandaughter’s eye.

25. Hi Rose – thank you for both the quilt and the other photo. They are both lovely. Congratulations and all best wishes to all concerned. That is such wonderful news. I have now finished the one (only my second quilt) I wanted to make for my favourite flame-haired beauty. Now I have to make one for a certain doll. Be warned. Your skills are going to be in high demand.

all best Janny

• Hi Janny. Well done for finishing your second quilt – that must be very satisfying. At least a doll quilt shouldn’t take too long to make.

26. So happy for you, Granny Smith!! Love the picture! I am always so grateful to you for sharing your talents with us. Your granddaughter is so lucky to have you! Please keep showing pictures of your little Holly Anna!

27. Gail Thompspon says:

Oh my gosh.. You look lovely with your new grandchild. Many loving congratulations to you and your baby’s parents. God Bless.

28. Colleen McKinlay says:

Congratulations Rose …looking forward to more pics of wee Holly. Such a special time holding that wee lassie for the first time….being a grandma is the best job in the world. Treasure and enjoy every moment. 🍼🎀
    Colleen McKinlay

29. Congratulations, she is a lucky little girl. I love the name, that is why I called my daughter Holly, many years ago, and she is one of the few people today who actually still likes her name.

30. Congratulations!!

31. You are a busy lady ! Just wondering how you find time for all these lovely quilts.

• Hi Judy. Sometimes it involves lots of very early mornings and very late nights – but I enjoy what I’m doing so I don’t mind the hours.

32. Shirley McCormick says:

First of all, congratulations on becoming a grandmother. You know there is only one beautiful baby in this world and every mother has it. I have been involved in a global nine patch quilt for the first time ever and I just love doing the blocks which you have a different colour on each side, run a line from point to point and sew a 1/4 inch down each side of it and behold you have two squares done. It’s the best way to go. I look forward to receiving your quilts each week, I copy them and print them out to put in my file. I need to do two throw over size quilts for a brother and sister. The girl has a new kitten and they have a dog as well. I am right for kitten fabric but I will have to purchase some dog designs. Now, would you be able to do a animal quilt in amongst your other lovely quilts that you make each week? I have some
    ideas what to do, but it would be nice to see what ideas you would come up with it. Shirley
    PS. I live in Western Australia.

• Hi Shirley. The global nine patch sounds like a lovely idea. I’ll have a think about some animal patterns, but I can’t say when they might appear!

33. Janet Wade says:

Rose, I really like this quilt. And the new grandbaby is gorgeous! I wasn’t able to find the printer friendly button on this pattern so I could download the .pdf file. Did I miss something?

34. Irene-marie says:

Congratulations to you on becoming a grandmother! What joy is in store for you. And Your new quilt is beautiful as the colors are some of my favorites. Thank you for sharing your creativity. Best regards to your family on the arrival of Holly Anna!

35. Congratulations and best wishes on the birth of your grandchild. Welcome to the Grandma club!
    Fay from Israel

36. Yvonne Clayton says:

Hearty congratulations on becoming a grand mother Rose. What a wonderful privilege it is. Enjoy your beautiful grand daughter. Thank you for the quilt pattern, like all of your quilts it is lovely.

37. Carol Tambourine says:

Congratulations. Enjoy!

38. The first thing I said when I saw your quilt was “this is sooo beautiful.” I’ve never seen another like it. Good job!
    Congratulations on becoming a grandmother. Thanks for sending the photo. May it be the first of many more photos going into your picture album. It’s fun to watch them grow.

P.S. I’m still waiting to have the surgery on my hand. In the meantime I am sitting here typing with bandages on both fingers to help keep them straight so my knuckles won’t bend. Ugh!

• Hi Claire. I’ve been thinking of you. You are so kind to take the time to write when you are all bandaged up. I hope the surgery goes well when it does finally happen.

39. Dotty Kupsky (Ohio, US) says:

Thank you for a beautiful quilt pattern. I appreciate your creativity and clear directions. But I must say, that picture of your granddaughter and you is precious! Congratulations! There is nothing more special in this world than holding a newborn baby. Wishing you all well.

40. Carole Manuel says:

Congratulations Grandma. Wishing you many, many years of happiness watching your granddaughter grow up.

41. Doe Harden says:

Congratulations on your first grandchild — I told my husband long ago that I knew why they were called “grand” after I had some!! They are GRAND!!

P.so. beautiful quilt

42. Congratulations Rose on the safe arrival of your wee Granddaughter & first grandchild, a true blessing. I hope she follows in your footsteps and takes up the wonderful art of sewing and quilting.

• Hi Carol. Now there’s a thought. But none of my children sew because they find it easier to ask me to do it. Perhaps my granchildren will be the same.

43. Arleen Salmon says:

This is a lovely quilt that I want to try. Thank you, Rose. And, what a sweet Grandmother you are with a darling new granddaughter….congrats!

44. Hi Rose , congratulation to be a new grandma