Square Chevrons Quilt Pattern

Square Chevrons Quilt

Square Chevrons Quilt

The Square Chevrons quilt is made using one of the most simple quilt block combinations – a four patch unit and a half square triangle unit.  You can find this combination in many blocks – sunny lanes, jewel box and buckeye beautiful to name a few.  I’ve used batik fabrics and teamed them with white instead of the black that I often use with batiks.  The quilt overall places the white stripes as chevrons, but the resulting design contains squares (hence the name), roadways and even stars when you look carefully.

I’ve used nine 16″ finished size blocks and the quilt size is 52″ square, using 3/4 yard each of dark blue and light blue for the four patch units with 1.1/2 yards of brown batik and 1.1/4 yards of white for the half square triangles and the border.  You can buy these fabrics at a discount in this week’s special offer.

Cutting requirements for the square chevrons quilt

Completed quilt block

Completed quilt block

2.1/2″ squares:  one hundred and forty four each in dark blue and light blue – but these can be strip pieced which saves a lot of time

4.7/8″ squares:  thirty six brown, thirty six white

For the border you will need five 2.1/2″ strips of brown cut across the width of fabric

Making the half square triangles

Use the 4.7/8″ squares to make half square triangles.  Place a brown and a white square with right sides together and mark a line along the diagonal.  Sew a 1/4″ seam either side of the marked line and cut along the line.  This will produce two half square triangle units which are now 4.1/2″ squares.  Press the seam allowances towards the brown and trim the two corners where fabric sticks out.

Sew together strips of fabric

Sew together strips of fabric

Making the four patch units

Cut nine 2.1/2″ strips in both the dark blue and the light blue fabrics.  Sew each light blue strip to a dark blue strip along the length.  Cut the resulting panels at 2.1/2″ intervals to make rectangles 2.1/2″ by 4.1/2″.  Two of these sewn together will form a four patch unit as shown in the top right of the photo.

This is much quicker than sewing together individual squares!

Making the quilt block

Quilt block layout

Quilt block layout

Lay the squares out as shown.  There’s a four patch unit in each corner and four of them in the middle.  These are all placed so that the dark blue squares run from top right to bottom left.

I haven’t actually sewn together the pairs of squares to make 4 patch units in this photo, but this needs to be done before the rest of the block can be sewn together.

There’s a pair of half square triangle units between each pair of corners.  These are all placed so that the white triangles combine to form a stripe running from top left to bottom right.

Sew the squares together across each row and then sew the rows together to complete the block.  You need to make nine of these.

Rows 1 and 3

Rows 1 and 3

Assembling the square chevrons quilt

Lay the blocks out in three rows of three.  Rows one and three are the same as each other:  the white stripes run from top left to bottom right at each end of the row while in the middle block they run from bottom left to top right.

Row 2

Row 2

In the middle row the blocks are placed so that the white stripe runs from bottom left to top right at each end while in the middle block the stripe runs from top left to bottom right.

Sew the blocks together across each row and then sew the rows to each other.

Add the border

Add the border

I have used 2.1/2″ strips of brown batik for the border.  You will need two lengths of 48.1/2″ for the top and bottom and two lengths of 52.1/2″ for the sides.

That completes the square chevrons quilt top.  It is now ready for layering, quilting and binding.  Full details of these steps can be found in the beginner quilting section.

Square chevrons basic quilt

Square chevrons basic quilt

Just for clarity, I’m putting in an image of the quilt with plain fabrics rather than the batiks that I have used.  I think that the designs show up better with plain colours.

Horses in Woodgate Valley

Horses in Woodgate Valley

Because I’m a diabetic I try to walk every day.  Yesterday I went on one of my favourite walks to Woodgate Valley.  It’s within walking distance of my home but feels as though it could be out in the country.  As well as plenty of woodland, you walk through a couple of fields of horses to reach the cafe.

There were still plenty of ripe blackberries in the hedges which was an added bonus.  One of the sections of woodland is called Bromwich Woods – and Bromwich was my maiden name.

Comments

1. Carol Smith says:

Love it love it yet again Rose you have come up with a winner!

2. Carole Groom says:

I love batiks n this is fantastic the way you have put them together. It’s stunning.

• Thanks, Carole. I think batiks have such lovely colours that they look good in just about any project, but white definitely helps them to stand out.

3. Patsy Edwards says:

Love this simple quilt!! Great for me as I’m a beginner. How do you manage to churn out so many quilts in such a short space of time?
    Love and wishes xx

• Thanks, Patsy. Don’t forget I only make the quilt top – I’d never be able to complete a finished quilt each week (well, I’d have to give up having a life if I did!).

4. Rose, I love this quilt and as usual you give a very good tutorial.
    Thank you!.
    Nice picture of the horses there such lovely animals.

5. its a beautiful i should make that , i am making another quallow right now after that this
    thanks for sharing
    Regards
    Anita

6. Hai Rose. awesome design. color combination is also good.Thanks for tutorials.

7. Linda Butler says:

Hi Rose – I love this pattern. Another one of your quilts I hope to eventually make. Can I ask you – presumably you finish the quilts you show us – what do you do with them all?

• Hi Linda. I have huge piles of unfinished quilts all over the house, but when I do eventually finish them I either give them to family or friends who want a quilt, try and sell them on the website (proceeds to Saving Africa), or I give them to the Linus Organisation where they’re given to terminally ill children. I have a shop on Etsy, but I’ve never had much success with that – there are just so many shops on Etsy that you have to spend a lot of time publicising your own shop, and I’ve just never had the time to do that.

8. Hey Rose, are you going to be in Houston for the Quilt Show this year? Hope to see you. T.

• I would love to go to Houston but I just can’t afford it, having just been to the States. I think there’s another one in the spring, isn’t there? Do you know if it’s bigger or smaller than the one next month? I might as well go to the bigger of the two when I do eventually get there.

Best time of the morning is sitting here enjoying my morning coffee and watching you put together another beautiful pattern. I like the way the white fabric pops out. It’ll certainly make a a lovely quilt once it’s finished. I’ve not been sewing because of a trigger thumb. The cause …. most probably osteoarthritis. If it’s not one thing – it’s another. Oh well!

• Hi Claire. So sorry to hear about your thumb. Is this a long term thing or just temporary? Our bodies do let us down as we get older, don’t they.

10. Mari Elliott says:

I love all the quilt tops you make and would love to be able to make each and every one of them. Is there any way you could add directions for making these lovelies bed size?

11. Great looking quilt, easy blocks too. I might have to make this one as a Xmas gift too. Thanks for all your wonderful tutorials. Since watching your site, I no longer buy quilt magazines with quilts that I will never make, now that money buys more fabric for quilts that I WILL make! Love your ideas.

12. J & B Flood says:

Hi Rose
    What a delightful quilt.Will do my best to start it not alone finish it. But iti so lovely to see your terrific designs.Again thank you.
    Breda

13. Love this pattern ,looking forward to having a go

Another great quilt. Love the way the patterns come out. Right now I am finishing a my version of a log cabin quilt.
    Love the colours in your quilt . May have to make this one next.
    I love the picture of the horse They are my 2nd favorite animal, dogs being first.
    Enjoy your walks and Happy Quilting. Have a great weekend.

• Thanks, Sandra. Log cabins are lovely, aren’t they – so versatile. Horses always seem to have such expressive eyes, don’t they.

15. Another winning quilt combination – and I love that you used batik fabric, reminding me of the batiks I used to make in art class. I think it’s great that you have your very own Bromwich Woodland!

• Hi June. I can’t remember making batiks in my own childhood, but I definitely remember helping out when my kids were making batiks in school. These ones are made in long lengths, spread out over fields for drying.

16. Kathy Betty says:

I love all your quilt tops and I just bought a Tudor style old house that has been upgraded internally but keeping the basic structure so I’m going to take a few of your patterns and make some wall hangings for my sewing room that overlooks the Pacific Ocean. The house is in Monterey, California, USA about 10 blocks up from the beach. Great place to stay cool abd away from our hot central valley. 🙂

Kathy

• Hi Kathy. Your new house sounds wonderful – and so does having a sewing room overlooking the Pacific! I think Samantha and I drove through some of Monterey earlier this year on our way up to Sonoma County – lovely area.