Crossbow Star Quilt Pattern

Crossbow star quilt

Crossbow star quilt

The crossbow star quilt block is one of my own design.  The cross formed with the light blue fabric just made me think of a crossbow, and of course the dark blue gives a star design.  I added the purple in to give more interest.  The quilt measures 58″ square and I have made it with nine 18″ square finished size blocks.

I have used 1/2 yard of dark blue, 1 yard of purple, 1.1/4 yards of light blue and 1.3/4 yard of white fabric.

Cutting requirements for the crossbow star quilt

Completed crossbow star quilt block

Completed crossbow star quilt block

3.1/2″ squares:  thirty six light blue

3.7/8″ squares:  seventy two each in light blue and white, thirty six each in purple and white, thirty six each in dark blue and white

For the border you will need six 2.1/2″ strips of purple, cut across the width of fabric.  You can buy these fabrics at a 10% discount in this week’s special offer.

Make half square triangles

Make half square triangle units with the 3.7/8″ squares in the colour combinations listed above.  Place a white square with one of the coloured squares, right sides together, and mark a line along the diagonal.  Then sew a 1/4″ seam either side of the marked line and cut along the line.

This will produce two half square triangle units which are now 3.1/2″ squares.  Press the seam allowances away from the white and trim the two corners where fabric sticks out.

Make the crossbow star quilt block

Crossbow star quilt block layout

Crossbow star quilt block layout

Lay the squares out in six rows of six.  My apologies that the dark blue doesn’t show up as well in the photo as it does in real life.

Broadly, in the first and sixth rows you have two pairs of light blue/white half square triangles forming larger light blue triangles pointing away from the middle.  In the middle of these rows are two purple/white half square triangles forming a larger purple triangle pointing towards the middle.

In the second and fifth rows there there’s a pair of dark blue/white half square triangles in the middle, forming a larger white triangle pointing towards the middle.  On each side of this there’s a light blue square and then a light blue/white half square triangle.

The third and fourth rows are each made with a pair of light blue/white half square triangles in the middle of each row, placed to form a white diamond in the middle of the block.  On either side of this central diamond there’s a dark blue/white half square triangle with a purple/white half square triangle on the edge of the block.

Sew the squares together across each row and then sew the rows to each other to complete the crossbow star quilt block.  Make nine of these.

Assembling the crossbow star quilt

Sew the blocks together in three rows of three.

For the border I have used 2.1/2″ strips of purple fabric.  You’ll need two lengths of 54.1/2″ for the top and bottom and two lengths of 58.1/2″ for the sides.

That completes the crossbow star quilt top.  It is now ready for layering, quilting and binding.  Full details of these steps can be found in the beginner quilting section.

I’ve had a thoroughly self indulgent week – I had a free cinema ticket to use up so I went to see the film BFG – a lovely bit of escapism.  Then on Wednesday I went to see the musical Sunny Afternoon – the story of the Kinks.  It was the first time I had been to this particular theatre and both it and the show were real treats.  Now I feel fully energised and ready to make a start on my Christmas sewing.

Comments

1. I sincerely think this quilt pattern looks incredibly attractive, very creative! It’s the sort of pattern that my eyes keep going over and over individual areas. Love it! Also am looking forward to watching BFG, the first version being a favorite when my son was little. The show about the Kinks sounds great fun.

• Thanks, June. I was hoping that it was the sort of pattern where you kept seeing more every time you looked. I can remember reading BFG to my kids – along with many other Roald Dahl books.

2. Hi Rose, this is a beautiful design. Easy on the eye. I really like this one. Your outings sound like fun. We all need a treat now and then. Good for you. I too have started Xmas sewing.
    I have 3 quilts made so far, finishing up another one today. Then I start hooded bath robes for the great grand babies. I’m not usually this far ahead, so I feel good about that.
    I always love to hear about your excursions. Your email is always the first one I open.
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

• Thanks, Linda. Hooded bath robes sound like a wonderful Christmas idea for your great grand babies. I bet they’ll have lots of fun with them.

3. Livia Boggs says:

This new quilt is lovely! I am planning to increase the size to a queen and put it on my bed! Thank you so much for sharing all of your patterns. It is such a treat and I can’t wait for your news letter to come!

4. Moira Hewitt says:

Hi Rose, Another stunning quilt, I love the block. I bet it would look great in Christmas colours too.
    Moira

5. Olive Procyshyn says:

How lovely this pattern is Rose. Nice colour ways and definition.
    Nice to hear of your self indulgent week. Good for you.
    My last week’s comment never showed up. I assume they got lost in space.
    Olive

• Hi Olive. I certainly would have answered your comment last week if I’d seen it, so it must have got lost before it got to me. Apologies.

6. JULIE COOK says:

I have enlarged your picture of the finish quilt here, but for the life of me I can’t identify the pattern. Is it the correct picture for the sample block shown, or have the gremlins got at it and produced a different quilt?

• Hi Julie. You made me nervous and I went back to check the pattern. The only difference between the quilt shown and my block is that the dark blue doesn’t show up as well in my block – not enough contrast between it and the light blue. Start at the top left hand corner and count six squares across and down and you should see the same block that I’ve shown.

7. Alice Cibert says:

Good morning Rose, I love your Crossbow Star quilt pattern. I hope to try it soon. and I love the colors you selected.

8. linda butler says:

Hi Rose. I love the design of this quilt. I will have a go at making it. I haven’t done much sewing during the summer (weather-wise, we’ve had a lovely summer) – too nice to be indoors but autumn and winter are on the way so I will be looking forward to doing patchwork and quilting. Glad you liked the BFG. I live in Great Missenden in Bucks where Roald Dahl lived and we have the Roald Dahl Museum here. Always look forward to seeing your quilts – they give me inspiration. All the best. Linda

• Hi Linda. I didn’t know there was a Roadl Dahl museum. I’ll have to try and get to it one day – he gave my children many happy hours of reading.

9. You have created another beautiful pattern, Rose. I love the color combination. I’ve had no time to get any sewing done. First it was the twins and this week electricians and plumbers. I’ll have to make the baby quilt when things get back to normal around here. I did manage to finish the flannel 2 sided blanket but it didn’t come out looking presentable so I gave the mother to be a baby outfit instead.

We are still having horrible weather here with temperatures in the 90’s. There were a few days last week when the temperatures were in the low 80’s. It was heavenly but not anymore. Ugh!

• Hi Claire. Hope you get the building work finished soon. I hate all the disruption that always goes with having workmen in. I’m sure your flannel blanket was fine – it’s very easy to be too critical of our own work. Sorry to hear that your temperatures are still so high. I certainly found them difficult to cope with when I was in New York. Los Angeles was much more pleasant because it was a drier heat and there was always a breeze.

10. Like, June ( the first comment) I kept looking at this quilt and really like what
    you created with half square triangles
    Rose you are right to have an indulgent time it’s something we all need.
    Thank you for a really lovely pattern.
    You are generous in sharing your designs.

• Thanks, Mary. I was pleased with the way the design turned out – half square triangles really do open up lots more design possibilities. I certainly feel better for having a quiet week – it was definitely what I needed.

Love the quilt and the colours they go well together. Right now I am doing the disappearing 9 patch. I have another UFO that I found that needs a backing and quilting, started putting that together. Also I am making Folded Star Hot Pads for some Christmas gifts. Made a few for Thanksgiving /birthday gifts. Maybe if I find some time I will at least get the material readty for this one.
    Glad you had a fun week. We all need a break once in a while.
    Have a nice weekend and Happy Quilting.

• Hi Sandra. You certainly sound very busy. I like the idea of folded star hot pads – I’ve been toying with the idea of a folded star pram quilt for my future grand daughter, but haven’t done anything about it yet.

12. Hello Rose I haven’t been emailing you recently as I’ve been on a special birthday holiday & lots of celebrations 😜. 🎉. Had a really big surprise as my three year old great grandson was over from Australia😛👌🏻. Not much sewing done but working on another UFO😛. Love your pattern – one day I’ll get one of your designs started! I was in Pershore last year – a friend lives there – lovely town. Wonder if she buys one of your bags😝. Enjoy your weekend😊.

• Hi Dianne. Happy Birthday for whatever birthday it was. Glad you had such a lovely time celebrating. How lovely to see your great grandson. Yes, Pershore is lovely – the Abbey has a very peaceful feel to it, so I’m hoping to pop in there after the sale.

13. Teresa E Purvis says:

This is a lovely quilt pattern, Rose, and I love the colors, you are so creative!

14. Hello Rose,

This is definitely going on my to-do-list. It’s a beautiful pattern and the colors are perfect. Wouldn’t have been my first choice, but they are going together perfectly here.