Tulip Quilt – Free Pattern

Tulip quilt

Tulip quilt

The tulip quilt block is broadly the basis for this quilt pattern.  I know blue tulips don’t exist, but you know how I like to sneak blue into so many of my quilts!  Those of you who are purple freaks will no doubt exchange purple for blue when you make this.  The quilt measures 52″ square, using sixteen blocks which are 15″ square finished size.  The design is created by rotating the blocks before you sew them together.

I have used 1 yard each of red and green fabrics and 3/4 yard each of white, dark blue and light blue.

You can buy these fabrics at a 10% discount in this week’s special offer.

Cutting requirements for the tulip quilt

Completed tulip quilt block

Completed tulip quilt block

3.1/2″ squares:  sixteen light blue, sixteen white, thirty two green

3.7/8″ squares:  eight each in light blue and white, eight each in red and white, eight each in red and light blue, sixteen each in dark blue and white, sixteen each in dark blue and light blue, sixteen each in dark blue and green

3.1/2″ by 9.1/2″ rectangles:  sixteen green

For the border you will need five 2.1/2″ strips of red cut across the width of fabric

Making the tulip quilt block

Make half square triangle units with the 3.7/8″ squares in the colour combinations listed above.  Place two squares with right sides together and mark a line along the diagonal.  Sew a 1/4″ seam either side of the marked line and cut along the line.  This will produce two half square triangle units which are now 3.1/2″ squares.

Tulip quilt block layout

Tulip quilt block layout

Lay the patchwork pieces out as shown.  There are so many different colour combinations for the half square triangles that I won’t try and list all the squares – I think that the photo is clear enough.

This is a simple block to sew together – sew the squares together across each row and then sew the rows to each other.

Make sixteen blocks.

Assembling the tulip quilt

Row 1

Row 1

The blocks are sewn together in four rows of four blocks, rotating the blocks across each row.  In row 1 the dark blue stripe goes from bottom left to top right in the first two blocks and then down from top left to bottom right in the next two blocks.  You also need to check the placement of the green strips:  these should be at the bottom for the first block, across the top for the next two blocks and then across the bottom for the fourth block.

Row 2

Row 2

In row 2 the blue stripe goes up from bottom left to top right twice and then down from top left to bottom right for the next two blocks.  Notice where the green strips are placed to be sure that you have the correct placement.

Row 3

Row 3

For row 3 the blue stripes are in the opposite direction – going from top left to bottom right in the first two blocks and then going from bottom left to top right in the next two.

Row 4

Row 4

Finally for row 4 the blue stripes are the same as in row 3, but you can see from the green stripes that the rotations are different.

Sew the blocks together across each row and then sew the rows to each other.

For the border I have used 2.1/2″ strips of red fabric.  You’ll need two lengths of 48.1/2″ for the top and bottom and two lengths of 52.1/2″ for the sides.

That completes the tulip quilt top.  It is now ready for layering, quilting and binding.  Full details of these steps can be found in the beginner quilting section.

Comments

1. Debbie calvert says:

I love this the way it is the colours are beautiful xx

2. Gwendy Burtz says:

Good morning!
    This quilt is very pretty! It’s so fun to watch how it goes together. Thanks so much for sharing every week. You are inspiring to me.

3. Thank you Rose for another beautiful quilt. You have a talent of taking something that looks difficult and breaking it down to simple steps.
    Every Friday I check my email just looking for your mail. I didn’t see one from you last Friday but you explained that you were attending a wedding which is perfectly fine and I hoped you had a good time. I was afraid that you might have been sick, so glad that you were not sick. Now I need to put your email into your own special folder. Thanks again for all of the work that you put into each of your email. The only “problem” I have is deciding which one to do next. All sew beautiful!!

• Thanks for your kind words, Martha. No I certainly wasn’t sick. My niece’s wedding was in Los Angeles. I’m actually not quite back in Birmingham yet.

4. ELLA WILSON says:

Hello Rose I missed you when you were away glad your back hope you had a nice time and it did you good to getaway I know you left quilts on line and that was good I was looking at photos looks nice and peacefull

5. Virginia Cohn says:

Love this quilt, Rose. Sew clever of you to arrange the tulips in this pattern. I never would’ve thought to put them this way. But then again, you are the designer and I am the student. Thank you.

6. Mignol Gregory says:

Hi Rose love the tulip the colours are great together think I will try this one as well but in different colours love love your quilt hoping I can get as good as you hope you enjoyed your self at wedding

7. Mignol Gregory says:

Hi Rose it’s me again the pieces for tulip can I cut them on the accquilt go baby

• Hi Mignol. If you have the right dies for the sizes you need then I see no reason why you shouldn’t cut them all on the Accuquilt.

8. Hi Rose you did it again with this pattern made it very doable.Thank you.
    Between ourselves did you get to visit any quilt shops whilst stateside?
    Hope you had a really lovely time. Looking forward to photos.

• Hi Mary. I arrive home tomorrow and I’ll get stuck straight in on sorting out my photos. I have no idea how they have turned out.

9. Beautiful quilt design almost looks 3D, Hope you managed to grab a few fabrics over in Usa. Many thanks Rose. Irene Vernon

• Hi Irene. I did visit a couple of fabric shops but I’m ashamed to admit that the only spare luggage space was taken up with Californian wine.

Another great quilt Love the colours and yes I would put purple instead of the blue. But of course it does look good with the blue also. Was cleaning and straightening up my sewing room and found 3 UFO’s finished one of them this week. Now what to do. You have so many nice projects that you sent. time to look for another one to do. Oh well, will decide on Sunday as we are going to my youngest granddaughters birthday party tomorrow.
    Glad you had a great time at your niece’s wedding.
    Have a great weekend and Happy Quilting.

• Hi Sandra. Well done for finishing some projects. It is high time I did some of that. I thought you would go for purple. Enjoy your granddaughter’s birthday party.

11. Another beautiful quilt pattern. Thanks for showing us how to put it together. I will begin making the little girl baby quilt. I will let you know how it turns out.

I enjoyed reading about Ludlow Castle. I looked it up and found that the castle is now up for sale and that it was the home of Catherine of Aragon – Henry VIII’s first wife. Visitors to Castle Lodge described it as “unique, “impressive” and spooky”.

12. Glad to have you back Rose, and receive your pretty quilt design.

13. Mrs Rosemary Harding says:

Thank you so much for sharing your tulip quilt i have got this pattern from a friend who has just made it, in different colours to yours.
    i think yours is lovely,thank you for all your hard work.love Rosemary x x x

14. This looks very complicated to my eyes, yet you’ve managed to explain it very clearly. It’s an extremely pretty quilt, the fabrics look awesome together.

15. Cecilia Alcantar says:

Hello Rose, you have the endurance, just like the pink bunny on batteries;your love of quilting just keeps on going and going! My how wonderful it is to receive your always lovely quilt blocks. I like your style. Thank you for sharing your good time attending your niece’s wedding.Cecilia

• Hi Cecilia. I have to admit that it’s been an exhausting fortnight but it has been an amazing holiday. I am in New York at the moment, flying back to the UK tonight.