Straight Furrow Quilt Pattern

Straight furrow quilt

Straight furrow quilt

The Straight Furrow quilt block is a delightfully easy nine patch block and it can be rotated to make an equally delightful quilt.  I think it’s very striking and I have made it here as a 42″ square quilt.

I’ve used sixteen 9″ finished size blocks, taking 1/2 yard of red batik fabric, 1 yard of dark blue batik fabric and 3/4 yard of light blue fabric.  The dark blue looks like black in the photos but it is actually a lovely indigo colour with light blue swirls.

You know how supermarkets put sweeties near the checkout for impulse buys?  Well Fabric Freedom do the same but with batik fabrics!  When I was up there delivering quilts earlier this week I saw this batik and just couldn’t resist it.

You can buy these fabrics at a 10% discount in this week’s special offer.

Straight furrow quilt block

Straight furrow quilt block

Cutting requirements for the straight furrow quilt

3.1/2″ squares:  forty eight red, sixteen light blue, thirty two dark blue

3.7/8″ squares:  sixteen each in dark blue and light blue, eight each in light blue and red

For the border you will need four 3.1/2″ strips of dark blue cut across the width of fabric

Making the straight furrow quilt block

Make half square triangles with the 3.7/8″ squares in the combinations listed above.  Place a light blue square right sides together with either a red or a dark blue square and mark a line along the diagonal.  Sew a 1/4″ seam either side of the marked line and cut along the line.  This will produce two half square triangle units which are now 3.1/2″ squares.  Press the seam allowances towards the dark blue or red and trim the two corners where the fabric sticks out.

Straight furrow quilt block layout

Straight furrow quilt block layout

Lay the squares out in three rows of three – I told you it was an easy quilt block!

The half square triangles are placed along one diagonal – a dark blue/light blue unit in each corner with a red/light blue unit in the middle.  There’s a red square in one corner and a light blue square in the remaining corner.  There are two dark blue squares across the red corner and two red squares across the light blue corner.

Sew the squares together across each row and then sew the rows to each other to complete the block.  You will need to make sixteen of these.

Sew the blocks together in fours

Sew the blocks together in fours

Assembling the straight furrow quilt

Sew the blocks together in four groups of four.  You need to rotate the blocks so that the dark triangle is always in the middle – or you could look at it as having the light blue square on the outside and the red square in the middle of each four block unit.

Sew the four block units together in pairs and then sew the pairs to each other.

For the quilt border I have used 3.1/2″ strips of dark blue fabric.  You’ll need two lengths of 36.1/2″ for the top and bottom and two lengths of 42.1/2″ for the sides.

This is one of those quilt patterns that you can make larger quite easily.  In order to keep the design, you need to add two blocks to each row and column, so you could make a quilt of six rows of six blocks.  This would be 60″ square.

That completes the straight furrow quilt top.  It is now ready for layering, quilting and binding.  Full details of these steps can be found in the quilting for beginners section.

I can’t show you any photos of things I did last week because I was glued to my sewing machine making quilts all week.  However I’ve finished those now and have a lovely busy weekend planned.  Tomorrow I am going to Hay on Wye, a small town in mid Wales, to help out at a giant jumble sale for a Salvadoran children’s charity.  Hay on Wye is famous for its book shops – the Hay Literary Festival is renowned and every other building seems to be a book shop.

Then on Sunday there’s a Caribbean festival in Birmingham – I’m hoping to be able to bring you a video of some of that in next week’s pattern.

Comments

1. I love this pattern Rose – thank you so much!! Do envy you going to Hay on Wye – remember so many years ago while on holiday we spent a few days there just loving all the book shops – Enjoy your time there. Thank you again.

• Hi Monica. We go there every year for this particular sale, and the people of Hay are so friendly and generous. Of course, I love all the bookshops as well!

2. nancy in IN says:

Love. With a little pre planning, it will be great for leader and enders. I love HST.

• Hi Nancy. Sorry to be thick, but what do you mean by ‘leader and enders’? It’s not a phrase I’ve come across.

• leaders and enders (that particular name is from Bonnie Hunter) are the before and after sewing pieces – instead of using one little piece of fabric over and over, you actually use precut pieces for another quilt…..in case that wasn’t clear it’s explained better on Bonnie Hunter’s site……

• Thanks, Judy. That is very clear – I had never thought of doing that. I just use scraps of fabric again and again until they are covered in seam lines. Using pieces for a different project makes enormous sense – thanks for that.

3. Carol Smith says:

As per usual an amazing quilt that looks so simple. How do you do it week after week! So glad you do. I’m making the cat quilt into a small wall hanging, can’t think how to quilt after in the ditch round the cats, any suggestions, I do my quilting by hand

• Thanks, Carol. You’re very kind. When I quilted the cat quilt I made a template of a cat outline in cardboard and then marked the cat into the white space above the back of each cat. I also echo quilted just within each patchwork cat, but you may choose not to do that if you’re hand quilting.

4. oh what a beautiful block I am also am enchanted with your colour scheme. It definitely has a Dutch flavour with it,

• Thanks, Irene. The batik fabrics certainly helped with the look of the quilt. I’m just annoyed with my camera for not being able to show up the indigo very well.

5. You keep coming up with such lovely patterns. The colors are vibrant and cheerful. Well, I love it!
    You are surely an angel of mercy for volunteering your time for the different children’s charities.
    Hopefully you will or have reached the Saving Africa contribution target.

• Hi Claire. Glad you like the quilt. I used to be treasurer of this particular charity and the jumble sale is a great chance to catch up with old friends – some of them I only see on this occasion each year. The Facing Africa fund is coming along well – people have been very generous.

6. Moira Hewitt says:

Hi Rose, another lovely design, I may drop a few hints, it’s my birthday soon and I just love the fabrics. Have a great weekend.
    Moira
    ps Leaders and enders are just thread savers, where you actually use the pieces when you have enough,usually for a scrap quilt.

• Oh thanks, Moira. I had never heard them called that before – you learn something new every day! I tend to use scraps for that, but I may start using decent sized squares now.

7. HI Rose, this is a beauty too. Enjoy your time in Birmingham,
    I’m making a baby quilt this weekend for my dear friends new granddaughter. I think your pattern on “The Farmers Daughter” would be a very beautiful baby quilt.

• thanks, Linda. Yes, I think Farmer’s Daughter would make a lovely baby quilt. I must start thinking about my future grand daughter’s quilt soon. I wonder if Katy would mind if I made her several quilts if I can’t choose just one design.

8. Lola Howard says:

Have a great week end Rose .

9. Rose, a lovely quilt that looks difficult but isn’t. Thank you. Have a lovely time in Wales
    looking forward to the pictures from the Caribbean Festival.
    Hope the weather stays dry for your week-end activities.

• thanks, Mary. No, it’s definitely an easy quilt. I shall enjoy just not being under pressure to finish quilts!

10. Thanks Rose for the quilt block

11. Beautiful. I love it.

Another great quilt. Where do you find the time? I guess you know how to manage it better than me. Still working on The Wave, just need to bind it. This one looks easy think I will do it.
    Have a great weekend you deserve it you worked really hard this week. Our weather is very dry, we need rain badly. Hope the dry weather goes over to you and you send us some rainy weather.
    Have a great weekend Happy Quilting

• Thanks, Sandra. It’s simpler to focus when I have a deadline – I don’t mind working late nights and early mornings if I know it’s only for a set period. Yes, I would love to swap you some dry weather for our rain.

13. Jo Williams says:

I love this quilt block, may put it on my list soon.

14. Sandy Vickers says:

Hi Rose,
    You keep me so excited about quilting with your blog, thank you. I am starting a quilting class in two weeks and cannot wait to learn the correct way to measure fabric and finish them. I’ve listed enough of your lovely patterns to keep me busy for years !😊 Thank you again, I look forward to Friday to see what you’ve been up to! Enjoy your weekend!
    Sandy

• Thank you, Sandy. That’s very kind of you. I’m so pleased that you’re getting into quilting, and I hope that you get the same pleasure from it that I and thousands of others do.

15. Sheila Lymn. says:

Hi Rose just wanted to tell you that all the bags ,mug rugs and Christmas table center have been much admired by my friends who have already received them as birthday gifts ,and as raffle prizes ,so thank you for putting them up for sale for helping Facing Africa the NOMA appeal .very kind of you to help them in this way ,love and hugs Sheila xx

• Hi Sheila. I’m so glad that all the things you bought have proved to be useful. Thanks for your additional work raising funds for Facing Africa.

16. A strikingly ‘handsome’ quilt pattern – you never disappoint. I’m worn out just reading about your week and weekend plans, going from one end of the UK to the other. Have fun.

• Hi June. It’s definitely been a hectic weekend, but I’ve enjoyed being able to get out and about after several weeks spent doing nothing other than making quilts for Fabric Freedom.