White House Steps Quilt Pattern

White house steps quilt

White house steps quilt

The White House Steps quilt block is very similar to the log cabin block, but the logs are added on two opposite edges at a time, rather than on adjacent edges.  I have teamed it here with a block that I think it sets it off well.  They are both very simple blocks.  This quilt pattern would work quite well in blue, red and white, but I’ve chosen to use blue, yellow and brown as I already have quite a few blue, red and white quilts.

The quilt measures 68″ square and I have used sixteen blocks which are 16″ square finished size.  The yardage required is 2.1/4 yards each of blue and yellow with 1 yard of brown.  You can buy these fabrics at a 10% discount in this week’s special offer.

White house steps quilt block

White house steps quilt block

Cutting requirements for the white house steps quilt blocks

4.1/2″ squares:  eight yellow

4.1/2″ by 2.1/2″ strips:  sixteen blue

8.1/2″ by 2.1/2″ strips:  sixteen blue, sixteen yellow

12.1/2″ by 2.1/2″ strips:  sixteen yellow, sixteen blue

16.1/2″ by 2.1/2″ strips:  sixteen blue

Cutting requirements for alternate block

Alternate quilt block

Alternate quilt block

6.1/2″ squares:  sixteen blue, sixteen yellow

2.1/2″ squares:  sixteen blue, sixteen yellow

12,1.2″ by 2.1/2″ strips:  thirty two brown

For the border you will need to cut seven 2.1/2″ strips of yellow across the width of fabric

White house steps quilt block layout

White house steps quilt block layout

Making the white house steps quilt blocks

Lay the patchwork pieces out as shown, with a yellow square in the middle surrounded by 4.1/2″ and 8.1/2″ blue strips.  Outside the blue frame place 8.1/2″ and 12.1/2″ yellow strips.  The final frame is made with 12.1/2″ and 16.1/2″ blue strips.

Sew the frames around the central square

Sew the frames around the central square

Sew the blue strips to the top and bottom of the central square first and then sew the remaining two blue strips to the sides.

Sew the top and bottom strips first

Sew the top and bottom strips first

Repeat with the yellow frame, sewing the strips to the top and bottom first and then adding the sides.  Finally sew the outer blue frame, again sewing the strips to the top and bottom first.

That completes the quilt block.  Make eight of these.

Making the alternate quilt block

Alternate quilt block layout

Alternate quilt block layout

Lay the patchwork pieces out as shown, with the 6.1/2″ squares forming a four patch block in the middle.  There’s a brown strip on each edge of the central unit with a yellow square in two corners and a blue square in the other two corners.  Note that these are placed so that the small and large blue squares form one diagonal while the small and large yellow squares form the other diagonal.

Make three columns

Make three columns

Sew the large squares together first to form the central square.  Sew the brown strips to the top and bottom to form one column.

Sew two corner squares to each of the brown strips on the sides to make two more columns.

Sew the three columns together to complete the alternate quilt block.  Make eight of these.

Assembling the white house steps quilt

Lay the blocks in 4 rows of 4

Lay the blocks in 4 rows of 4

Lay the blocks out in four rows of four, alternating the squares across each row and down each column.

Sew the blocks together across each row and then sew the rows to each other.

For the border I have used 2.1/2″ strips of yellow fabric.  You’ll need two lengths of 64.1/2″ for the top and bottom, with two lengths of 68.1/2″ for the sides.

That completes the white house steps quilt block top.  It is now ready for layering, quilting and binding.  Full details of these steps can be found in the beginner quilting section.

The wedding

The wedding

Last August my eldest son married Katy and it was a wonderful and very emotional day.  Now I am thrilled to bits to be able to tell you that Katy is expecting and my first grandchild is due in mid October – very close to Ben’s birthday.

Comments

1. HI Rose…congrats on your first grandchild. Nothing can possibly bring more pleasure. My grandkids have kids now so I have 4 great grand babies. It’s our greatest reward for growing old. I just love those babies to the moon and back!

2. Colleen McKinlay says:

Congratulations to you and your family….so exciting being a Gramma. It is the best….speaking from experience. I am sure that little one will have some special quilts from Gramma! Thank you for sharing the great news. Pictures please in Oct.
    Colleen McKinlay

3. Congrats Rose. Becoming a grand parent is wonderful experience. Enjoy!

4. Rebecca says:

I am over joy for your future of the union of your son, and the new upcoming generation. Now you can make a beautiful baby quit for him or her.

5. Congratulations Rose – how wonderful for your family – I know this addition will bring you all loads of love and joy! Monica

6. Congratulations Rose!!!!! being a grandparent is one of the greatest gifts I can assure you. Keep us posted on the mom-to-be progress.

7. Rosemarie says:

I really like this, the for myself I might choose red n whites or blue and whites

• Thanks, Rosemarie. I definitely felt that it would look good in red, white and blue – I just don’t need any more of them right now.

8. Congratulations on your growing family🌹.
    Always love your patterns.

9. Olive Procyshyn says:

Rose how lovely for you all.
    Congratulations and hope your DIL keeps well.
    Best wishes
    Olive

• Thanks, Olive. She was looking extremely well when I saw her last Sunday – but then she always looks lovely!

10. donnie tillison says:

congratulations , Grandma, get those baby quilt patterns ready

11. Margaret Garlinge says:

This quilt would equally look as good in pinks & purples. Congratulations on your news, your grandchild & son may end up sharing a birthday. My husband & son share birthdays & I share mine with our youngest grandson.

• Thanks, Margaret – yes, I hadn’t thought of pinks and purples, but you’re right – it would look great. I hope that Ben doesn’t start chasing Katy round the house on his birthday so that he can share his birthday with his child!

12. Marylyn Caraway says:

Congrats on being an expectant Granny! There is nothing else like it. You will think your heart will just explode with love.

13. Congratulations on the news re becoming Granny Smith……….that should give you a rosy glow.

• Thanks, Isabel. Like the image – the worrying thing is that I have an apple shaped body rather than a pear shaped one!

14. I like your pattern. Babies, aren’t they wonderful! Happy to hear that you are going to be a grandma. I’ll be busy this week making a coverlet that I started 2 weeks ago. Flannel on one side and cotton on the other. It’s for my niece who is expecting her first baby in late June. She is naming the baby Benjamin Raymond.. the Raymond after her father (my brother.) Hey Rose, maybe they’ll name (if it’s a girl) after you.

• Thanks, Claire. I’ve never worked with flannel much, but it definitely gives some cuddle factor to a baby quilt. Hope all goes well for your niece. What a lovely thought to include her father’s name in the baby’s name.

15. doetexas says:

I want to add my congratulations to all the rest!! When our first grandchild arrived I told my husband that now I knew why they call them “GRAND” children — because they are SO grand!!!
    I want to remind you to be very, very sure to post some pictures to share with your online family!!
    You share the best patterns, ever!!
    Love ya, Rose!!

• Thanks so much. Yes, I’ll definitely post some pictures when the baby arrives – I’m sure October will arrive in the blink of an eye.

16. Barbara says:

Congratulations Rose, our first grandchild is one month old today and she’s already bringing us so much pleasure.
    Thanks for all your hard work – will we be seeing more baby patterns now? 😉

• Hi Barbara. How lovely to have a new grand daughter. Yes, I’ll definitely be looking at patterns for babies now.

17. Congratulations Rose. It is a wonderful feeling being a grandmother. I became one for the first (and possibly only) time in November. Going to be a great aunt in August! Not sure which I feel older being! Grandmother of great aunt! X

• Hi Janet. Either grandmother or great aunt must be a lovely state – plenty of opportunity for spoiling. Good luch to your neice in August.

18. Congratulations Rose! Grandchildren are a true delight – all the fun and no stress!

19. Marilyn Banthorpe says:

What wonderful news Rose, I started quilting to make a quilt for my granddaughter 8 years ago and got the bug. Lucky baby to have you as granny to make lots of lovely gifts. This weeks quilt is another one I’d like to try. Thanks Rose.

• Hi Marilyn. I also began quilting for a special occasion quilt, and now I just can’t stop. It’s amazing how quickly quilting becomes addictive.

20. gwen mullings says:

Lovely quit Rose, great photos and news, I love the Granny Smith I’m sure that will stick. I am awaiting my 15th Great Grandchild in August, its lovely to have them. Congfatulations and best wishes to you all. Gwen

How wonderful. Being a Grandma is great, A new little one to spoil. Congrats to Ben and Katy.
    You will love it. So so happy for you all.
    Thank you for the great pattern. Think I would like it purple pink and white.
    Have a great weekend and Happy Quilting for that little one.

22. Congratulations all round Rose. It is an exciting time, I have 6 grandchildren…all very much loved and cherished. The quilt is lovely and would look good in almost any colour scheme. Love getting your emails and can’t wait to see what you come up with next.

• Hi Julie. You’re certainly well supplied for grandchildren. I can see I’ve got some catching up to do.

23. Congratulations Grandma. It will be fun.
    I make baby quilts for the local hospital – looking forward to some blue/pink suggestions.

• Thanks, Judy. Yes, I think I will practise with some Linus quilts before I choose Baby Smith’s quilt.

24. LOL Nice of him to make the connection with Granny Smith! Are you close enough to get your share of spoiling in?

25. Charles Alcantar says:

Dear Rose, You are living a dream seeing your son happily married & awaiting the birth of your first grandchild indeed! Money can’t buy happiness is so true. Both Ben & Katy are so lucky to have you in their lives. Here is a cheer & pat on the back from me! All the best. Sincerely, Cecilia Alcantar

• Thanks, Cecilia. You are so right – happiness doesn’t come from money – although sometimes I think it would be nice to try having some!

26. Many congratulations Rose, we have just had our first grandchild 6 weeks ago. So much fun and pleasure. How lovely, this new babe will have so many beautiful quilted blankets! What a super excuse to be creative!!!!. Wish you and all your family the very best.

27. Janet Christie says:

Hi Rose, what wonderful news. I am a Grandmother, 2 boys & 2 girls. They are 2 @ 19,18, & 16 and I love than to pieces. Hope Katy is OK. The 2 boys are from 1 family & 2 girls from another. Can’t get enough of them & I know you will be a good & loving Nanny to them. Enjoy them immensely. Love Janet from Australia

28. Thank you, Rose, for your wonderful patterns and great directions. I always enjoy seeing and hearing what you’re up to, also, but hearing that you’ll be a Granny before you know it is especially awesome. I have been blessed with four grandchildren but only the first one lives close. Congratulations!

29. Christine Southgate says:

What lovely news Rose – becoming a grandparent is very special. And a great excuse for making quilts, taggy blankets, memory bears ….. the list could go on 😊.
    Enjoy every minute.

Christine

30. Gwen Fisher says:

Congratulations. ..on your first grandchild…Happy and healthy.

31. Congratulations on your first grandchild rose. And thanks for the quilt video

32. Margaret says:

Hi Rose. Your quilt, as always, is lovely but your exciting news surpasses them. Congratulations on the new addition. I am researching my family history and it is so exciting to add a new twig to the tree. Like someone who commented earlier – I’ve got great-grand babies. Two of them and you helped me two years ago with advice on making a tumbling blocks quilt. Which he now cuddles up in every night. He’s 17 months now and just started walking, so everything is going up a shelf! Big sister is just five and loves her Winnie the Pooh quilt I made when my granddaughter was expecting her. Wishing every happiness to you all xx

• Hi Margaret. How lovely to have great grand babies – quite an achievement. Your family tree must be fascinating – they always say how amazing it is to uncover your family roots.

33. Trish Tarbuck says:

Ah what lovely news Rose,am thrilled for you.

34. Great news Rose – now you will be thinking about baby stuff all the time!😝. Next exhibition I know which stall you will be heading for first 😝👀. Enjoy👌. I have made lots of things for my grandchildren – all 10 of them! Plus 1 great grandchild😉. Granny Smith will stick I think – nice😛

• Hi Dianne. That’s a lot of grandchildren – how lovely for you. Making quilts for them all must keep you busy.

35. Joy D'Silva says:

Congratulations, Rose. Being a grandma is an experience like none other – a total unexpected joy. I have three grandchildren, the oldest, a granddaughter, just graduated with the other two grandsons not so far behind. They are all grown up now and I feel so nostalgic thinking of the time they were growing up from babyhood – but Father Time waits for no one and one must just be grateful for the blessings of the time that was.
    I think you’ll make a great grandma! And thank you for all your quilting newsletters.

• Thanks, Joy. How lovely to be close to your granchildren – they must have brought you great pleasure over the years.

36. Wow! Almost missed this very attractive quilt…and the thrilling news – you’re soon to join the Grandmother club. I hope that also means I’ll be seeing more of you when you visit your grandchild.

• Hi June. Definitely hope to get down your way more often as the year progresses. I’ll be in touch.