The Rosemary Quilt Pattern: how have I managed to spend all these years not knowing there’s a quilt block named after me! Okay, it’s named after the Rosemary plant but I can always pretend.
I’ve played around with the colours a bit – adding a little yellow to give the quilt some pop even though I know that the Rosemary flower is not yellow. I’ve used nine 20″ blocks with two borders.
The quilt measures 68″ square, using 1/2 yard of yellow fabric, 3/4 yard each of lilac and white, 1.1/2 yards of purple and 3 yards of green fabric. You can buy these fabrics at a 10% discount in this week’s special offer.
Cutting requirements for the Rosemary quilt
2.1/2″ squares: one hundred and forty four purple
2.7/8″ squares: seventy two each in yellow and white, thirty six each in lilac and white, seventy two each in lilac and green, eighteen each in purple and green
2.1/2″ by 4.1/2″ rectangles: seventy two green
2.1/2″ by 6.1/2″ rectangles: thirty six green
2.1/2″ by 8.1/2″: thirty six green
For the border you will need six 2.1/2″ strips of green cut across the width of fabric, seven 2.1/2″ strips of purple cut across the width of fabric.
Making the rosemary quilt block
Make half square triangles with the 2.7/8″ squares in the colour pairings listed above. Place two squares with right sides together and mark a line along the diagonal. Sew a 1/4″ seam either side of the marked line and cut along the line to produce two half square triangle units.
These are now 2.1/2″ squares and you just need to clip the two corners where the triangle tips stick out. I know this seems like a lot of half square triangle units, but it’s a big quilt and there are even more squares and rectangles in the design!
I found it most simple to lay out the diagonals of the quilt block first and then fill in the rest. In the middle there are four purple/green half square triangles, placed so that the green triangles form a central diamond. There are four purple squares following each diagonal leading out from each corner of the central square.
Next add the squares to form the nine patch corner units. There are two yellow white half square triangles along the edges on either side of the purple corner square. These are placed so that the yellow triangles come together to form larger yellow triangles pointing away from the edge of the block. There are two lilac/white half square triangles filling in the two remaining spaces of this nine patch unit. They are placed so that the lilac triangles point at each other, forming a butterfly shape.
Fill in the rest of the diagonals with lilac/green half square triangle units. These are always placed so that the lilac triangles continue to form the butterfly shapes around the purple squares. You’ll end up with a larger green triangle formed by two green triangles between the diagonals at the middle of the block.
The remaining sections are all green. For the top and bottom sections you’ll need two 8.1/2″ rectangles and one 4.1/2″ rectangle to complete those sections.
The configuration is slightly different for the sides of the block, but only because I wanted to keep the block simple to sew together. You’ll need two 4.1/2″ rectangles and two 6.1/2″ rectangles for each side.
You can now sew the squares together across each row and then sew the rows to each other to complete the rosemary quilt block.
Make nine of these and sew them together in three rows of three. The block is completely symmetrical so there are no rotations to worry about – it looks the same whichever way you look at it.
Add the rosemary quilt border
For the first border I have used 2.1/2″ strips of green. You’ll need two lengths of 60.1/2″ for the top and bottom and two lengths of 64.1/2″ for the sides.
The second border is made with 2.1/2″ purple strips. You’ll need two lengths of 64.1/2″ for the top and bottom and two lengths of 68.1/2″ for the sides.
That completes the rosemary quilt top. It is now ready for layering, quilting and binding. Full details of these steps can be found in the quilting for beginners section.
Here’s the video:
I’ve made my first roman blind and as many of you suggested, it wasn’t that difficult to make. I’m using the peacock quilt on the floor of the bathroom so I made the blind with the same peacock fabric and I’m really pleased with it. I’m stupid enough that I managed to worry about some parts of the kit that I didn’t use, but they turned out to be spares!