Nancys Fancy Quilt Pattern

Nancys fancy quilt

Nancys fancy quilt

The Nancys Fancy quilt block is absolutely gorgeous and looks far more complicated than it actually is.  I’ve made the blocks fairly large and used just four of them for this quilt, all 24″ square finished size.

The quilt itself measures 52″ square and I have used 1/2 yard each of yellow and purple, 3/4 yard of cream and 1 yard each of white and green fabrics.  You can buy these fabrics at a 10% discount in this week’s special offer.

It may look an incredibly complicated quilt, but is made up of only squares and half square triangles – trust me!

Nancys fancy quilt block

Nancys fancy quilt block

Cutting requirements for the Nancys fancy quilt

3.1/2″ squares:  sixteen yellow, thirty two white, twenty purple, forty cream

3.7/8″ squares:  five each in yellow and white, twenty two each in green and white, sixteen each in purple and white, fourteen each in green and cream, two each in cream and white

For the border you will need 2.1/2″ strips of green fabric:  two 48.1/2″ long and two 52.1/2″ long.

Making the Nancys fancy quilt block

Make half square triangle units with all the 3.7/8″ squares in the colour combinations listed above.  Place two squares with right sides together and mark a line along the diagonal.  Sew a 1/4″ seam either side of the marked line and cut along the line.  This will produce two half square triangle units which are now 3.1/2″ squares.

I know there are a lot of half square triangles, but you must agree that it gives a stunning effect!

Nancys fancy quilt block central area

Nancys fancy quilt block central area

I am showing the layout in several steps so that you can see how simple the block really is.  The central area of the block is a four patch unit made with two purple and two yellow squares.  Two of the corners of this section are yellow/white half square triangles, while the other two are green/white half square triangles.  Between the corners there is a yellow/white and a purple/white half square triangle along each edge.  These are placed so that two yellow triangles straddle two of the corners while two purple triangles straddle the other two corners.

Next frame of the block

Next frame of the block

The next frame is fairly simple.  Starting at the top left corner and moving round in a clockwise direction, you have three cream squares followed by two green/cream half square triangles three times.  The final edge (the left hand side of the block) is the only different one: a purple square, cream square, cream/white half square triangle, green/white half square triangle and finally a green/cream half square triangle.

Nancys fancy quilt block layout

Nancys fancy quilt block layout

The final frame of the Nancys fancy quilt block is made with what I call a rosebud shape in each corner:  a square with a triangle on each side of it.  The top left and bottom right corners are made with yellow rosebud shapes while the other two corners are made with purple rosebud shapes.  Between each pair of rosebuds there’s a pair of green/white half square triangles with a white square on either side.  The green triangles are placed so that they form a larger green triangle pointing away from the middle.

Sew the squares together across each row and then sew the rows to each other to complete the Nancys fancy quilt block.  Make four of these.

Assembling the Nancys fancy quilt

Sew the blocks together in two pairs.  They need rotating so that you can form that purple diamond in the quilt design.  For the top pair of blocks, the purple should run from bottom left to top right and then from top left to bottom right.  For the bottom pair of squares, the purple diagonals should form a V shape.  The purple diagonal has one end that is a rosebud shape and one end that has an additional purple square, making it a different shape.  Take care that you rotate the blocks so that the two rosebud shapes are at the top and bottom of the quilt, while the two other shapes are at the sides of the quilt.

If you look carefully at the quilt image at the top, you’ll see what I mean:  where the two purple diagonals meet at the top and bottom of the quilt they make a half star shape.  Where they meet on the sides they make plain corners without the star spokes.

For the border I have used 2.1/2″ strips of the green fabric.  Sew the 48.1/2″ lengths to the top and bottom of the quilt and the 52.1/2″ lengths to the sides.

That completes the Nancys fancy quilt top.  It is now ready for layering, quilting and binding.  Full details of these steps can be found in the beginner quilting section.

French braid curtain

Frfench braid curtain

I have finished my french braid quilt and hung it as a curtain on my back door.  I am thrilled with it and now I am hoping to make a roman blind in the same pattern for the window.  I’ve never made a blind before so I am slightly nervous of beginning this project!

Spring flowers

Spring flowers

My daffodils are all out in full bloom now but not much else is, so I couldn’t resist taking a photo of these gorgeous polyanthus brightening up the streets of Birmingham.

I hope you have a lovely Easter weekend.

Craftsy

Comments

1. What a pretty quilt! It will definitely go on my ‘to do’ list. Thank you

• Thanks, Kathryn. It’s one that could be made in lots of different colour combinations – perhaps for the different seasons.

2. Margaret Garlinge says:

Beautiful quilt. I will be trying this block but smaller to go in the quilt that I am making.

3. Looks great and not so difficult when broken down.

4. Jane Claber says:

The Nancy quilt is really pretty, love the colours too. And the French braid curtain on the door looks excelkent. Happy Easter Rose.

5. Very Very Beautiful Rose.
    I am caught in a dilemma. I have a Beautiful peacock fabric I need to make a quilt for my sister .I wanted to keep the theme Asian but I may incorporate some of these squares using a feather fabric.
    Any ideas? I’m 5 yrs trying to decide how this fabric might work? She and I are both getting older and I need to get it done.
    I love your works and your site. I can send you a picture of the fabric.
    Happy Easter
    June (from USA)

6. What an interesting block! and it makes such a pretty quilt. THanks for sharing this, Rose.

• Thanks, Kat. I was thrilled that such a simple block could look so much more complicated than it really is.

7. I love this quilt. It definitely gets a spot on my to-do-list. Thank you for a complicated looking pattern that’s so easy to make. 🙂

8. Lovely block; thank you Rose. Happy Easter; enjoy the beautiful spring flowers.

9. Thanks for the tutorial. Love this pattern!

10. very nice block ,good instructions, thanks

11. Sheila Lymn says:

Hi Rose and Samantha hope you have a lovely weekend .I liked this weeks quilt offering and this week I am being very strong and NOT buying any fabric ,this week I have been going through my boxes of stash and bet I almost have as much as you Rose ,today I am busy cutting things out to sell on a craft stall later in the year
    I liked your door blind .and wish you luck making a blind
    love and hugs Sheila xx

• Thanks, Sheila. We are worn out now from doing the tourist thing in Birmingham this afternoon. Samantha wants to try a Birmingham curry so we’ll be off to the Balti Triangle tomorrow. Good luck with your craft stall sewing.

12. Olive Procyshyn says:

Happy Easter Rose. This week’s quilt is stunning and so is your door curtain.
    Olive Pocyshyn

13. Lovely quilt Rose, sadly I lost my mother when she was only 34 and she was called Nancy although her name was Ann do not ask me how that worked but apparently it is a Welsh thing, But what a lovely quilt to do in her memory, thank you.

• Hi Lesley. How terribly sad for your mother to die so young. I’ve never heard of the name Ann becoming Nancy – I could see it the other way round with Ann being a contraction of Nancy.

14. brian dodd says:

hello rose, this one is brilliant the colour combiation you could have is fantastic. l really like this one and will be making it within the next week or two thanks rose. brian

15. Hi Rose, First off Happy Easter! Glad your daughter is with you to enjoy Easter.
    Thank you yet again for a beautiful pattern. Once I saw your tutorial I knew it was
    one I could make. Don’t overdo it on the Easter Eggs (the chocolate ones lol)

• Hi Mary. It’s a simple pattern as long as you don’t mind making all those half square triangles. I’m diabetic so my chocolate consumption will be strictly limited over Easter. Funnily enough it’s the hot cross buns that I miss more than the chocolate.

16. Sue Hosking says:

Thank Rose! This is so so beautiful. An absolute delight, cannot believe your talent and dedication to us, one amazing person. Happy Easter to you! Sue

Oh Rose, Another great pattern Think I will do this one next. Love the colours and your great instructions.
    Your curtain came out nice and looks great on the kitchen door. Have fun with your daughter this weekend. Hope it stays nice and sunny for Easter Sunday.
    Have a great Easter and a great weekend. Enjoy and Happy Quilting

• Thanks, Sandra. We had a lovely day together with a superb lunch in an Italian restaurant followed by lots of walking to burn off the calories. Like you I’m hoping the sunshine will last.

18. HI Rose, this quilt is absolutely beautiful. The color combination, the layout is superb. I definitely want to make this quilt. Thank you so much. I hope your Easter is just as beautiful.

• Thanks for your kind comments, Linda. So far it’s been a wonderful weekend. Samantha and I went exploring in Birmingham yesterday and had a lovely day.

19. Terri Weldon says:

Hi Rose, I love this quilt design, but I was wondering about making monocrome … perhaps with black and ivory – what d’you think ?

• Hi Terri. Sounds great, but you could always make just one block to decide whether the colours work for you. If you don’t want to use the fabric, some people draw the block and colour it in to see how the colours look.

20. karin wijaya says:

Fantastic Quilt Rose. As you know I sometimes put your design on local fabric whith different
    colour. It also looks fantastic. Good luck Rose. I am waiting for your next quilt design.
    Happy Easter to you and your family

21. Terri Weldon says:

Ah! Thanks for that graph paper it is !

22. Jeri Niksich says:

Hello Rose, and thank you for the wonderful tutorials as well as the kits with fabrics needed needed to make them. My question is…if I wanted to make this in a lap sized quilt how many of your kits would I need as well as directions?
    One of your many followers
    Jeri

23. elizacross2003 says:

Once again I love your simplified design and was pleased to see the peacock quilt. I have a lovely Japanese panel and a variety of Japanese fat quarters so now I have an Idea what to do with them.

• Hi elizacross. The peacock quilt pattern is a good one for showcasing a particular fabric. I’ve ordered some Japanese fabric with a lovely panel but I’m not sure when it’s arriving.

24. Well I must have done something silly – I was the first to comment but can’t see it. I just wanted to say that I think this is a really gorgeous quilt. I’m being educated on here with all your informative posts and your kitchen curtain looks stunning, especially the way the light is playing on it in your photo.

Rosemary, if I can make both a Roman blind and a roller blind, anybody can. All you need are some clear instructions to follow. Good luck and hope you’re enjoying your Easter.

• Hi June. It definitely wasn’t you doing anything wrong – I saw your comment and I replied to it, but I’ve just had a look and I can’t find it either. How strange – let’s blame it on the computer (it can’t answer back!). Thanks for your re assurance re blind making. I’ve read the instructions thoroughly and hope I’ll be able to make one. I’m starting with one for the bathroom and then if that’s successful I’ll make the kitchen blind next.

I hope this isn’t too late but I was feeling under the weather and just didn’t get around to looking at my email. Your quilt pattern is so beautiful. I like the way the way you made it look like one block intertwined into another block. I’ve never seen this before.
    Hope you had a nice Easter with Samantha. Oh, and your curtain looks fantastic with all those vivid colors – just like the flowers in your garden. Nothing but cold weather here.

• Hi Claire. Sorry to hear you haven’t been well, and thanks for taking the time to comment even when you’re not feeling well. It was lovely having Samantha here for the weekend. We ate too much and walked for miles and miles. Hope you feel better soon.