Cedars of Lebanon Quilt

Cedars of Lebanon quilt

Cedars of Lebanon quilt

I’ve made the Cedars of Lebanon quilt using two different blocks that I think make for quite an interesting quilt – but then I would say that, wouldn’t I!  I’ve used nine quilt blocks, all 18″ square finished size and the quilt measures 60″ square, using 2 yards of dark blue, 1.1/4 yards of turquoise and 1 yard of white fabric.  You can buy these fabrics at a 10% discount in this week’s special offer.

Cutting requirements for the Cedars of Lebanon quilt

3,1.2″ squares:  fifty eight white, eighty eight dark blue, forty eight turquoise

3.7/8″ squares:  twenty five dark blue, twenty five white

6.1/2″ squares:  twenty turquoise

For the border you need to cut and piece 3.1/2″ strips of dark blue:  two 54.1/2″ long and two 60.1/2″ long

Cedars of Lebanon quilt block

Cedars of Lebanon quilt block

Making the cedars of lebanon quilt block

Make half square triangles

Make half square triangles

Make half square triangles with the 3.7/8″ squares.  Place a blue and a white square with right sides together and mark a line along the diagonal.  Sew a 1/4″ seam either side of the marked line and cut along the line.  This will produce two half square triangle units which are now 3.1/2″ squares.

Cedars of Lebanon quilt block layout

Cedars of Lebanon quilt block layout

Lay the squares out as shown.  Think of it as a collection of four patch units.  The central 4 patch unit is made with two white squares and two half square triangles.  These are placed so that the white is at the middle and the blue in the corners of the unit.

The corner 4 patch units are made with two dark blue squares and two half square triangles.  These are placed so that there is a dark blue triangle in the corner.  The blue triangles on either side of it combine to form a larger blue triangle across the corner.

The remaining spaces are filled with four 6.1/2″ turquoise squares.

Sew the squares together within each 4 patch unit first.  You will then have nine squares all the same size and can sew the squares together across each row.  Sew the rows to each other to complete the cedars of lebanon quilt block.  You need to make five of these.

Completed alternate quilt block

Completed alternate quilt block

Making the alternate quilt block

This is a simple one – just squares.  I began with just turquoise and dark blue squares, but then decided that I wanted some white in the quilt to help the design.  I changed the squares along both diagonals to white.

You could use strip piecing

You could use strip piecing

You may prefer to do some strip piecing to save time making this block.  Sew together 3.1/2″ strips of dark blue and turquoise.  Cut the resulting panel at 3.1/2″ intervals.  This will give you pairs of squares which will speed up the piecing of the block.

Sew the squares together across each row and sew the rows to each other to complete the alternate quilt block.  You need to make four of these.

Row 1

Row 1

Assembling the cedars of Lebanon quilt

Sew the blocks together in three rows of three.  The first row is made with an alternate block in the middle and a cedars of Lebanon block on either side.  I have rotated the end blocks – if you look at the white shape in the middle of the cedars of Lebanon blocks, you’ll see that in the first block it points to top right, while in the third block it points to top left.  I did this so that these shapes would straddle the corners.

Row 2

Row 2

The second row is made with a cedars of Lebanon block in the middle and an alternate block on either side.

Row 3

Row 3

The third row is made with an alternate block in the middle and a cedars block on either side.  The cedars blocks are again rotated so that the white central shapes straddle the corners.

Sew the blocks together across each row and then sew the blocks to each other.

For the border I have used 3.1/2″ dark blue strips.  This is slightly wider than most of my borders and I was hoping to give the impression of the design floating on a dark blue background.

That completes the Cedars of Lebanon quilt.  It is now ready for layering, quilting and binding.  Full details of these steps can be found in the beginner quilting section.

The St Patrick’s day parade in Birmingham took place last Sunday.  It was the first time that I had watched it and it was great fun.   I’ve made a short video of parts of the parade.

Craftsy

Comments

1. I love this! You have a natural way of making me feel, “I can do that!”

• Hi Michele. That’s because you can do it! Take most things slowly and in small steps and they become easy.

2. I see many possibilities with this block. Thanks Rose!

3. Doris Sumnicht says:

One of the largest St.Patrick’s parades in the US is in Denver,on the Saturday closest to the actual day March 17. Huge crowds go to the downtown area. We have a long-standing lepricon, huge ears, green and gold suit. Lots of bands, stepdancers, school bands. Police are in force to catch those who have had too much alcohol on our streets and highways surrounding Denver.

• Hi Doris. Sounds like fun. Our parade was bigger than I expected – and there was certainly a lot of Guinness being drunk!

4. Carlene Parker says:

Love the bagpipes, the best part of the parade. Saw the Cold Stream Guards years ago when they came to US

• Hi Carlene. There were loads of bands in the parade. They were spread out among the different sections, so their music could be heard separately, rather than having one big noise.

5. Love this quilt can’t wait to make it

6. Bonnie Heyblom says:

Greetings from Canada. Love this quilt. It is part of my bucket list. First time for me to send you a comment. Thank you for sharing the St. Patrick’s Day Parade. My family immigrated to Canada from the Sandringham area of England in the 1800’s so I am also interested in my “home country”. Seeing the bag pipers was so much fun; my grandson plays the bagpipes at the parades held here in Canada. So good to see this heritage continuing on. Thank you for all that you share with us.

• Hi Bonnie. Good to hear from you. I was amazed at how many bands were spread out in the Marches – well done to your grandson for learning to play the bagpipes. It looks as though it takes a lot of skill.

7. Margaret Garlinge says:

What a beautiful quilt such lovely colours. It would look just as good with purple in place of the dark blue.

8. Thanks for the pattern/tutorial…but especially the video! Loved the bagpipes and laughed OUT LOUD seeing Trotters Independent Traders! Had to share with hubby as Only Fools and Horses is a fave if ours.

• Hi Karen. I wish I could have shown you more in the video – my first version was 10 minutes long and I had to cut it quite hard.

9. I really like this block Rose, colors are great too. Thanks

10. Hi Rose, Thank you for such a lovely pattern. With this size block it would be no problem
    to make a bigger quilt, The St. Patrick’s day parade looked like fun. Hope you get to the NEC. Enjoy your week-end Rose.

11. Thank you Rose for such a lovely quilt! I also loved your video on the St. Patricks Day parade – my brother is a piper in Bridlington so was special to catch a glimpse of the pipers. Thank you again for all your inspiration.

Oh Rose, Thank you for sharing the parade video. Love the bagpipes. We had a few parades around the area but I did not get to any.
    Love the quilt and will try to find the time to make it. Working on my pinwheel quilt. Actually I am in the midst of quilting it . It’s half way done. Maybe will working on it tomorrow.
    Thank you for all of your patterns I do look forward to Friday’s just to see your lovely creations.
    Have a great weekend and I hope you get to the Sewing for Pleasure exhibit. Happy Quilting.

• Thanks for your kind comments, Sandra. You’ve got on well with the pinwheel quilt. Still undecided about Sewing for Pleasure – oh to be decisive!

13. Hello Rose, You always manage to come up with beautiful patterns. Love the pattern and the colors you chose. Thanks. Looks as though you had nice weather for St. Patty’s Day. Nice day for the parade yesterday here in CT but we’re expecting snow on the first day of spring. Ugh!

• Hi Claire. Yes, we had a lovely day for the parade – although I was still wrapped up in coat and scarf, I could feel the sun on my face quite strongly and of course sunshine always seems to put everyone in a good mood. Hope you don’t get too much snow – time for a bit of spring weather, I think.

14. Doreen Robin says:

I enjoy your quilts and thank you for sharing patterns and instructions. Also it is great to see your countryside. I call it armchair travel without getting on a plane!! Thank you.

• Thanks, Doreen. I know what you mean about armchair travelling – I love looking at places that I will probably never get to.

15. Tammy Dziecichowicz says:

Hello Rose I’m from West Virginia US. I love watching your videos and have a couple picked out to make after I finsh current quilt project. Im hand piecing 89 x 112 top called mosaic garden. All hexies finish at 1 1/2 inches and there are over 3000 of them. But I love doing it. I did a king flower basket of hexies in 8 months. Hurrying as best I can so I can start on some of your patterns. Thank you so much for making your tutorials, you do a great job!!

• Hi Tammy. All I can say is Wow! That will be an amazing quilt when you have finished it. You must have so much patience to make those hexies so small. Well done.

16. Love the quilt, it looks easy enough for me to tackle.

17. Hello Rose
    This is an interesting quilt to make
    I loved your parade videos, it seems that it doesn’t matter whether you are Irish or not, you can enjoy Guinness and enjoy the parade. You seem to have many Scottish clans too judging by the tartans and good bagpipe players. There is no music which is as stirring as the bagpipes. We in Israel will have our carnival of Purim next week. We celebrate how Queen Esther, who was married to the King of Persia, saved the Jewish People from being annihilate on the orders of a nobleman named Haman.
    It also brought back memories of being in a parade myself – the University Rag – in the old days when I lived in South Africa.
    love and best wishes
    Fay

• Hi Fay. Yes, the parade definitely seemed to be multi cultural. I would imagine that the bands just enjoy being part of the parade. There was plenty of Guinness around, but not as many Irish accents as I would have expected. I didn’t realise that you’d lived in South Africa before – loved my time in Cape Town at Christmas. Thanks for the history of your Purim carnival – it’s always fascinating hearing about other cultures.

18. Lola Howard says:

Love , love ,love the quilt and video , thanks for sharing the video and a place I will never get to visit.

19. Very nice quilt.