Sock Pattern Quilt

Sock pattern quilt

Sock pattern quilt

Don’t laugh, but the sock pattern quilt this week comes to you courtesy of a pair of socks that I fell in love with earlier this week.  I’ve made the quilt a little larger than the socks (74″ by 51″) but it’s one of those quilts that you can make smaller or larger fairly easily.  It’s made in rows using quilt blocks of different sizes from row to row, but they are always the same size within a row.

It reminds me slightly of the Arran sweaters that my mother used to knit for my father when I was a child – although in totally different colours.

Quilt with socks

Quilt with socks

I’ve used 1/2 yard each of the blue, pink and purple batik fabrics with 3/4 yard of white and 2.3/4 yards of black fabric.  I did wonder whether to use a solid black, but now that the quilt is finished I am glad that I used a patterned black.  I think that it softens the design.  As usual, you can buy these fabrics at a reduced price in this week’s special offer.

Completed blocks for the sock pattern quilt

Completed blocks for the sock pattern quilt

Cutting requirements for the sock pattern quilt

I have listed the 2.1/2″ squares here, but in fact I saved time by cutting rectangles as I made the blocks:  a 4.1/2″ strip for two squares, a 6.1/2″ strip for three squares, an 8.1/2″ strip for four squares.

Blue block:  one hundred and twelve black 2.1/2″ squares, thirty two blue 2.1/2″ squares, twenty four each 2.7/8″ squares in both blue and black

Pink block:  one hundred and ninety two 2.1/2″ black squares, sisty four 2.1/2″ squares

Purple block:  forty eight 2.1/2″ squares in both black and purple, sixteen 2.7/8″ squares in both black and purple

For the sashing you will need five 1.1/2″ strips of white 64.1/2″ long

For the black borders you will need in 2.1/2″ lengths of black:  two @64.1/2″, two @ 45.1/2″, two @ 70.1/2″ and two @ 51.1/2″ long

For the white border you will need in 1.1/2″ strips of white:  two@ 68.1/2″, two at 47.1/2″ long

Sock pattern quilt – the blue blocks

Make half square triangle units using the 2.7/8″ squares:  place a black square and a blue square with right sides together and mark a line along the diagonal.  Sew a 1/4″ seam either side of the marked line and cut along the line.  This will give you two half square triangle units which are now 2.1/2″ squares.  You will also need to make these for the purple block.

Blue block layout

Blue block layout

Lay the squares out in six rows.  As I mentioned above, instead of using squares all the time, I have used a 16.1/2″ black strip at the top and bottom, 4.1/2″ black strips in the second and fifth rows and 4.1/2″ blue strips in the second and fifth rows.  This saves time when you’re sewing everything together.  Take care with the half square triangles to be sure that you have them correctly placed.

Sew the patchwork pieces together across each row and then sew the rows to each other to complete the block. The block measures 16.1/2″ by 12.1/2″ now and you need to make four of these.

Pink block layout

Pink block layout

Sock pattern quilt – the pink blocks

This is a very quick block to make.  In the first row I’ve used 6.1/2″ black strips with a 4.1/2″ pink strip.  In the second row I’ve used three 4.1/2″ black strips.  In the third row I’ve used an 8.1/2″ black strip and in the fourth row I’ve used a 12.1/2″ black strip.

Sew the patchwork pieces together across each row and then sew the rows together to complete the block.  The block measures 16.1/2″ by 8.1/2″ and you need to make eight of these.

Purple block layout

Purple block layout

Sock pattern quilt – the purple blocks

Make half square triangle units as above with all the 2.7/8″ squares.

In the first row I have used a 12.1/2″ purple strip.  In the second row I have used an 8.1/2″ black strip.  In the third row I’ve used 4.1/2″ strips of both black and purple and in the fourth row I’ve used 6.1/2″ black strips.  There are two half square triangles in each row, placed so that the purple forms a large triangle, with a smaller black triangle on either side.

The block measures 16.1/2″ by 8.1/2″ and you will need to make four of these.

Sew sashing between the rows

Sew sashing between the rows

Assembling the sock pattern quilt

Sew the blocks together in rows of four – one row of four blue blocks, one row of four purple blocks and two rows of four pink blocks.

Sew the rows together using the 1.1/2″ white sashing strips.  Begin with a sashing strip, then a pink row with the triangles pointing up, then a sashing strip then the blue row then another sashing strip.

Final rows of the sock pattern quilt

Final rows of the sock pattern quilt

Continue with the purple row (triangles pointing down), then another sashing strip, the final pink row (triangles pointing down) and a final sashing strip – you should have used five sashing strips.

Sock pattern quilt borders

Sock pattern quilt borders

Sock pattern quilt borders

I’ve used three borders for this quilt.  The first border is made with 2.1/2″ black strips, the second with 1.1/2″ white strips and for the third border I returned to the 2.1/2″ black strips.  The lengths are given above in the cutting requirements.

That completes the sock pattern quilt top.  It is now ready for layering, quilting and binding.  You can find full details of these steps in the beginner quilting section.

An astonishing but heart warming thing happened last week.  A lady bought my window cat quilt and then asked me not to send it to her but instead to donate it to a child who would enjoy it.  Thank you, Gema – you are a kind and generous lady.

Craftsy

Comments

1. Sorry but I’m laughing. I think it’s wonderful that you can simply create a quilt after looking at a pattern on a sock. Inspirational!

2. Rose, this quilt is my favorite of all! Going to get busy and make it as soon as I have some time. Reminds me of a beautiful American Indian pattern. Simply beautiful. Thank you.
    Carolyn

3. Moira Hewitt says:

I like all of your quilts, but I love this one. I am new to quilting and usually stick to small projects, maybe I should be brave. It has a really modern look. I can just imagine it on my sofa, then I would have to make one for my bed too.

• Hi Moira. You could always experiment with different colours and have slightly different ones for the bed and the sofa. It’s an easy quilt to put together.

4. Trish Tarbuck says:

Hi Ros, ha ha think the quilt is a bit too funky for me but it gave me a chuckle.I just love how you can look at something and adapt accordingly.What a lovely gesture from Gema, a real star.

5. brian dodd says:

rose do you have a shop in ludlow. i visited ludlow recently and while there had a quick look around for a quiltig fabric shop but did not see one. l like this sock quilt but will use your
    design for a cot bed quilt but in bright colours, l will let you know how it goes. Brian from stourbridge

• Hi Brian. No, I don’t have a shop – I do everything online. But I also don’t live in Ludlow any more – I moved to Birmingham a few months ago. I hope you had a great day in Ludlow, though – it’s a lovely town.

6. Debra (Canada) says:

Rose – What a wonderful transformation from sock to quilt. This is being added to my ‘to do’ list! The purple block could also be done as a giant flying goose block or 2 large HST’s – much faster than using all of those smaller pieces and HST’s.

7. Rose, I was taken aback when I saw the quilt. It is really nice.
    A lovely story about Gema’s genuine act of kindness.
    Rose I hope you weren’t affected by the awful flooding..
    Thank you for taking the time to do a pattern during this busy season.

• Hi Mary. Were you taken aback because the quilt was nice? No, I haven’t been affected by the flooding, but I do feel so sorry for all those people in Cumbria who are having such a dreadful time.

8. This is so cool !

9. You always manage to come up with some super patterns, l will never look at a sock in the same way again.Must finish baby quilt as it any time now and then I’m going to have a go at this one. Happy Christmas.Sue

Oh Rose.
    You really come up with great ideas. Love the quilt and will make one soon as Christmas is over. Busy busy.
    Hope you get all your projects finished Have a good weekend. Happy quilting!

11. Very clever idea Rose, love it, I would have never thought of that.

• Thanks, Loueen. They had the socks placed near the checkout – you know, where they hope that you will impulse buy while you’re in the queue. The design kind of leaped out at me and I had to buy them!

12. Colleen McKinlay says:

Love this quilt but especially the story behind it. Definitely going to make or attempt to make this for my son …..my world traveller chef …..who never seems to pack enough socks. Perfect ..don’t you think. Merry Christmas from rainy Vancouver. Looking forward to more of your wonderful quilt tutorials in the New Year.
    Colleen

• Thanks, Colleen. I hope your son appreciates the thought behind the quilt! It’s also rainy here in Birmingham, but thankfully we haven’t had the same flooding problems as they have further north.

13. Carol Tambourine says:

Oh Rose what a surprise I got after reading the name of the quilt. I was expecting something completely different and I have fallen madly in love with this pattern. It is just what I have to make next. Thank you!

14. Isabella summers says:

Dear Rose I would like to read the instructions on the sock quilt but I am unable to do so as the page has a background of yellow smiley faces, this is very difficult to read through, I was wondering if this is an error or if I have done something wrong in the download when I clicked on the link in the email. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to enable me to read it. Thank you. Isabella

• Hi Isabella. I’m so sorry that you’re having problems. The only thing that I can suggest is that you try using a different browser – sometimes when I change from Firefox to Google Chrome I get a different view of a page. Do let me know if that helps – I’m sure others will be interested.

15. I agree with Carolyn. Your pattern looked very Native American. You should pat yourself on the back for coming up with such a beautiful quilt. I love it. Can’t wait to see what you’ll be showing us next week.

Kudos to the lady with the kind heart who bought your quilt then asking you to donate it. The recipient will have a quilt that s/he will treasure for the rest of his/her days.

• Thanks, Claire. Sorry your comment took longer than usual to appear. My computer has found new and wondrous ways to make life difficult for me, but I have thwarted it and managed to find the comments that it was hiding from me!

16. Hi Rose, I think the idea of using different size blocks per row is just so liberating, love it, Marion.

• Thanks, Marion. It’s so much more common to have every quilt block the same size – I wanted to show that it doesn’t have to be the case.

17. Margaret Jowett says:

Golly gosh! I would never have thought of using a sock for inspiration. Well done Rose. You are a truly one very talented lady. The quilt is absolutely lovely. I will try to make it sometime in 2016 but I have so many other projects on the go right now.