Springtime Floral Quilt Pattern

Springtime floral quilt

Springtime floral quilt

The springtime floral quilt pattern is made using two of the fabrics from Fabric Freedom’s Springtime Floral range, but I’ve added two darker fabrics to give the quilt more of an autumn (fall) feel.  I’ve used the pattern that I designed for them for that range.  The quilt measures 58″ square, using sixteen blocks which are 12″ square finished size.

I’ve used 3/4 yard of grey and of green with 1.1/4 yards of gold and 1.1/2 yards of black.  As ever, you can buy these fabrics at a 10% discount in this week’s special offer.

Springtime floral quilt block

Springtime floral quilt block

Cutting  for the spring time floral quilt

4.7/8″ squares:  thirty two gold, thirty two black

4.1/2″ squares:  sixteen green

2.1/2″ squares:  sixty four green, sixty four gold, one hundred and twenty eight grey.  Read the pattern before cutting these as they can be made most quickly using strip piecing

For the borders you will need twelve 2.1/2″ strips of black and six 1.1/2″ strips of gold

Make half square triangles

Make half square triangles

Making the quilt blocks

Use the 4.7/8″ squares to make half square triangles.  Place a black and a gold square with right sides together.  Mark a line along the diagonal and sew a 1/4″ seam either side of the marked line.  Cut along the line to produce two half square triangle units.  These are now 4.1/2″ squares.  Press the seam allowances towards the black and trim the two corners of each square where the fabric sticks out.

Make four patch units

Make four patch units

The four patch units in the corners of the springtime floral quilt can best be made using strip piecing.  Sew together 2.1/2″ wide strips of grey and green, and also of grey and gold.  Press and then cut these panels across at 2.1/2″ intervals.  This will give you rectangles 2.1/2″ by 4.1/2″.  These can be sewn together in pairs to make four patch units with both the colours diagonally opposite each other.  These are shown at the bottom right of the photo.

Springtime floral quilt block layout

Springtime floral quilt block layout

Lay the patchwork pieces out in three rows of three.  There’s a grey/green four patch unit in two corners and a grey/gold four patch unit in the other two corners.  In the middle a green square has a black/gold half square triangle unit on each edge.  These are placed so that the black is nearest the middle, with the gold on the outside of the block.  Check the photo to make sure that the four patch units are placed so that the grey squares form one diagonal and the green squares form the other diagonal.

Sew the squares together across each row and then sew the rows to each other to complete the springtime florals quilt block.  You will need to make sixteen of these.

Assembling the springtime florals quilt

Row one of the springtime floral quilt

Row one of the springtime floral quilt

Row 2

Row 2

Lay the blocks out in four rows of four.  The design is achieved by rotating the blocks so that the direction of the black stripe across the diagonal varies.  In the first row the black stripe forms two V’s in a zigzag pattern.

In the second row the stripe goes up from bottom left to top right twice and then down for the next two blocks.

Row 3

Row 3

Row 4

Row 4

For the third row the black stripe goes down from top left to bottom right twice and then up for the next two blocks.  In the fourth row the stripes form a zigzag again, but with the stripe going up first so that it almost looks like an M.

Sew the blocks together across each row and then sew the rows to each other.

Quilt borders

Quilt borders

For the borders I have used the black and gold fabrics because I love those colours together.  The first border is made with 2.1/2″ black strips.  You’ll need two lengths of 48.1/2″ for the top and bottom and two lengths of 52.1/2″ for the sides.

For the second border you’ll need 1.1/2″ strips of gold fabric – two lengths of 52.1/2″ for the top and bottom and two lengths of 54.1/2″ for the sides.

For the third border I returned to the 2.1/2″ strips of black:  two lengths of 54.1/2″ for the top and bottom and two lengths of 58.1/2″ for the sides.

That completes the springtime floral quilt top.  It is now ready for layering, quilting and binding.  Full details of these steps can be found in the beginner quilting section.

Birmingham owl

Birmingham owl

Birmingham Cathedral stands in a tranquil area near the middle of Birmingham.  When I first moved here it was shrouded in scaffolding while repairs were being done to the structure.  There were several owls in the grounds.  Now both the scaffolding and the owls have gone.  I miss the owls, but the good news is that they were auctioned recently and they raised a stunning £500,000 for the Birmingham Children’s Hospital.  Well done, Birmingham!

Comments

1. Christine says:

As I am new to quiltting I would love to see some of your finished quilts

• Hi Christine. So would I like to see my finished quilts! I have an enormous pile of unfinished projects. If you take a look at the quilt pattern page (on the navigation bar at the top of the page), you’ll be able to see a selection of quilts – some finished and some not.

2. Gail Steffen says:

Do you think the pattern would look nice if I used scraps in three colorways? After looking at my stash of quarter yard and smaller bits, using what I have seems much wiser than buying more.

• Hi Gail. Sounds like a good plan – there’s something very satisfying about reducing your stash, isn’t there!

3. I can,t wait for Fridays just to see what you have on your page–Keep up the good work Rose–Hope you have a fun Halloween—-Bea

4. This is yet another beauty, ty Rose. I wil do mine in orange, rust brown and a touch of gold. PatV

5. Rose, I was wondering the same as Gail Steffen (would it look nice in scraps)
    Controlled scraps, not an explosion in a paint factory scraps. (lol).
    It is a lovely pattern thank you.
    The owl is lovely. Nice to auction the owls to raise money for the children’s hospital.
    Have a lovely week-end Rose.

• Thanks, Mary. Yes, I think this quilt pattern would lend itself to scraps. Most of us have enough scraps that we can find enough fabrics for each colour section.

6. Love it, love it, love it. Rose, you are the soooo creative. Your beautiful pattern is suitable for any season or any holiday. Good that the owls were found and sold for such a large sum (over 3/4 of a million in U.S. dollars and for such a good cause.

• Hi Claire. As you say, it could cover any season with suitable colour changes. They have rather a lovely set of blues in the same range, but I decided that I must stop myself using blue in everything I do!

I like this quilt very much and I will put an order in for Jean to make me one Asp after she has finished unpacking !!

Have a good weekend, Roger.

• Thanks, Roger. I bet Jean is itching to unpack her sewing machines and start sewing again. Good luck with the move – I hope it goes smoothly and you get decent weather.

8. Nancy Mikel says:

This is a beautiful pattern! I look forward to your Friday posts.

9. Trish Tarbuck says:

Rose, this quilt is stunning.I am still working away at the Carpenter’s wheel, slowly but getting there.I thought your explanation re the problem last week, not that I had one was very concise.I would add that everyone should have Internet security on their computers.Have a great weekend.

• Hi Trish. Good luck with the carpenter’s wheel quilt. I couldn’t agree more about computer security – it’s one of the hazards of the computer age that some people spend their time trying to hack the accounts of others.

10. Ann Lundie says:

I laughed so hard at your comment about your finished quilts Rose. Do you do your own videoing as well as showing how to put the quilt together? You are so talented. I love this pattern. It looks so difficult but not really so when it is explained.

• Thanks, Ann. Yes, I do make the videos myself – it does mean that sometimes I can’t get quite the view that I want, but many people find videos easier to learn from than articles.

Oh Rose, I hope my comments come through I have been having trouble as they say I have timed out Look forward to Fridays Love your patterns Glad you are doing them especially for us. This would look good and go with any season.Glad they auctioned off the owls The children’s hospital must be so glad Have a great weekend Happy quilting

• Hi Sandra. Sorry you’ve been having problems, but this comment came through loud and clear. Yes, it’ll help the children’s hospital a lot. I don’t think anyone had expected the auction to raise that much money.

12. Margaret Garlinge says:

Lovely guilt Rose, I agree with your comment about the video. They help me. I am a visual person and pick up things quicker when seeing things being done

• Thanks, Margaret. We’re all different – I quite enjoy making the videos now that I have overcome the initial terror that I felt when talking to the camera!

13. Kathy burgess says:

I love this pattern and colourway as I do a lot of American Indian patterns and turquoise and black and gold are the bulk of my scraps so this is a great opportunity to use some of them. I especially like the triple border.

• Thanks, Kathy. I agree – those colours go together particularly well. I always feel that a multiple border gives a good frame to a quilt – but I don’t always have the time to do it.