State Fair Quilt Pattern

State fair quilt

State fair quilt

The state fair quilt block is usually made with just one colour plus white, but I have added an extra colour in this quilt just to add some interest to the quilt.  The final quilt size is 42″ square and I have used 1.1/4 yards of white fabric with 1/2 yard each of red and green.  Within the quilt there are four state fair quilt blocks which are 18″ square finished size.

You can buy these fabrics at a 10% discount in this week’s special offer.

Cutting requirements for the state fair quilt

3.1/2″ squares:  sixty four white

3.7/8″ squares: thirty two green, eight red, forty white

For the border you will need four 3.1/2″ strips of red fabric, cut across the width of fabric

Making the state fair quilt block

Make half square triangle units with all the 3.7/8″ squares.  Place a white square with either a red or green square, right sides together.  Mark a line along the diagonal and sew a seam 1/4″ either side of the marked line.  Cut along the line to produce two half square triangle units.  Press the seam allowances towards the red or green and trim the corners.  These are now 3.1/2″ squares.

State fair quilt block layout

State fair quilt block layout

Lay the squares out in six rows of six.  The white squares are placed in the corners with one square diagonally inside each corner and two squares along the middle of each edge of the block.  There are two red/white half square triangles either side of two of the corners and the green/white half square triangles are everywhere else.

Completed state fair quilt block

Completed state fair quilt block

The most simple way to check your placement of these is to look for the larger triangles made when two green triangles are placed side by side.

Sew the squares together across each row and then sew the rows to each other.  You will need to make four of these state fair quilt blocks.

Rotate the blocks to keep the red in the corners

Rotate the blocks to keep the red in the corners

Assembling the state fair quilt

Sew the blocks together in two rows of two and then sew the pairs of blocks together.  Rotate the blocks so that the red triangles are always in the corners of the quilt – and the middle.

For the border I have used 3.1/2″ strips of red fabric.  You’ll need two lengths of 36.1/2″ for the top and bottom and two lengths of 42.1/2″ for the sides.

That completes the state fair quilt top.  It is now ready for layering, quilting and binding.  Full details of these steps can be found in the beginner quilting section.

The wedding

The wedding

Last weekend I went to Cambridge for the wedding of my son Ben and his (now) wife Katy.  What an amazing, emotional weekend that was.  Many of you asked for photos and you’ll find wedding photos along with some from the Festival of Quilts here.

Craftsy

Comments

1. Rose, this is one of my favorite quilts of yours! I almost always save the patterns, but the color choices are often not what I prefer. But this one is wonderful just the way it is. Thank you!

• Thanks, Mary. I always hope that my quilts will give others ideas that they can adapt with their own fabric choices.

2. lee marshall says:

You looked lovely, Rose, simple but very elegant! Best wishes to your son and his wife.
    Lee

3. I love all your quilts, this one I’m going to do as a Valor quilt, thanks so.much, I will send photo when done.

4. What wonderful pictures of your son’s wedding, love the bride’s bouquet, how unusual and so kind of you to share your day with us.

5. Congratulations to your son and his bride. What a happy event. Thanks for sharing

6. Teresa Purvis says:

This is a lovely quilt and I like your choice of colors. Thank you for sharing.
    Teresa Purvis
    Newark, DE
    USA

7. Sheila Lymn says:

Hi Rose what lovely photos and my best wishes to them both ,I loved your outfit had to look twice to make sure it was you x
    Your quilt this week had me going down Memory lane as my favourite film was State Fair ,I used to pretend I was in it !!!
    love and hugs Sheila xx

8. Lola Howard says:

Beautiful and more beautiful , loved the quilt and the wedding pictures are so beautiful,
    You looked so beautiful , is that your husband with you all ? he is handsome.

Your pattern looks as though it could be made in a weekend. I like the way you always place everything on a table so that we can see how to go about making the block.
    Thank you for sending the photos of the wedding. Beautiful bride and handsome groom. And you, my dear, looking absolutely gorgeous in that beautiful silver-gray dress with matching shoes. Everything perfect all around.

• Thank you, Claire. You do say the nicest things! It was rather nice to have such a special occasion to dress up for.

10. Best wishes to Bride and Groom and also to all members of the family. The couple look very happy and I pray they stay that way. Rose, you looked great too. I love the shoes that match the dress – we don’t have much of that over here in Israel! God bless!
    love Fay

11. I love this quilt and always look forward to your designs. A wedding and a house move and your quilt ideas still flow. I don’t know how you do it. Congratulations to the handsome couple. How wonderful to be married in the St John’s College Chapel. I lived near St John’s a few years ago. Walking through the cloister and out through that huge door to College green is something I miss. Thank you as always for your inspiration.

• Thanks, Noreen. How lucky that you lived in Cambridge – it’s such a beautiful city. We had an interlude on the backs by the river while the photos were taken and then went into St Johns for the reception – magnificent food.

12. Sue Duquemin says:

Hi Rose, I really love this quilt and it will go into my box of patterns that i want to make. Love the photo,s of the wedding and best wishes to the happy couple.

13. Jo Williams says:

Beautiful quilt and nice looking couple, you are no doubt proud. Glad you had a great week-end.

• Thanks, Jo. I was very proud. I was a little emotional during the ceremony and thought that that would be all – but I became far more emotional during the speeches!

14. Marilyn Larkin says:

Thank-you for another wonderful easy but great looking pattern. Congratulations to your son and his wife. They looked glorious. The setting just perfect. You looked wonderful too. Psst… I love the complimentary nail polish too. All just perfect.

• Thanks, Marilyn. I’ve never worn a nail polish this sort of colour and I keep looking down at my nails with surprise!

15. Thank you for the lovely quilt. Congratulations to your son & his beautiful bride.May the Lord shower his blessings on them. Your looking lovely too in the beautiful outfit.