Nine Patch Star Quilt Pattern

Nine patch star quilt

Nine patch star quilt

For the nine patch star quilt I have used a nine patch formation within one of the blocks and then again within the quilt itself.  The quilt blocks are all 16″ square finished size and the quilt measures 56″ square.  I have used 3/4 yard of blue fabric, 1.1/4 yards of red and 1.3/4 yards of white.

Nine patch star and pinwheel quilt blocks

Nine patch star and pinwheel quilt blocks

I have used nine patch star quilt blocks and pinwheel quilt blocks.  Isn’t it fascinating how the pinwheels look so much larger than the nine patch star when you see them individually like this?

Cutting requirements for the nine patch star quilt

8.7/8″ squares:  four blue, four red, eight white

4.1/2″ squares:  twenty five red

2.7/8″ squares:  twenty blue, twenty white

2.7/8″ by 4.7/8″ rectangles:  twenty blue, twenty white

2.1/2″ by 6.1/2″ rectangles:  twenty white

2.1/2″ by 4.1/2″ rectangles:  twenty white

For the borders you will need five 2.1/2″ white strips and six 2.1/2″ red strips cut across the width of fabric

Making the pinwheel quilt blocks

Make half square triangles with the 8.7/8″ squares.  Place a white square right sides together with either a blue or a red square and mark a line along the diagonal.  Sew a 1/4″ seam either side of the marked line and cut along the line.  This will produce two half square triangle units which are now 8.1/2″ squares.

Pinwheel quilt block layout

Pinwheel quilt block layout

Lay the half square triangles out in fours, rotating them to give the pinwheel formation as shown.  Sew the squares together in pairs and then sew the pairs to each other to complete the pinwheel block.

You will need two red and two blue pinwheel blocks.

Make half rectangle triangles

Make half rectangle triangles

Making the nine patch star quilt block

Make half square triangles as above with the blue and white 2.7/8″ squares.  For this block you will also need half rectangle triangles.  Cut the 2.7/8″ by 4.7/8″ rectangles along one diagonal, making sure that you cut them in pairs with wrong sides together – this is how fabric is normally folded when you buy it.  This way you will get two mirror image half rectangle triangle units.

Place a blue and a white triangle together to form a rectangle again, as shown on the top right of the photo.  Lay the two triangles right sides together and sew together.  You will get the best results if you have the smallest (narrowest) tip of the blue triangle sticking out 1/4″ above the white triangle, and the smallest tip of the white triangle sticking out 1/4″ beyond the blue triangle.  Press the seam allowance towards the blue and trim the two corners where the triangle tips stick out.

Nine patch star quilt block layout

Nine patch star quilt block layout

The central part of the nine patch star quilt block is unsurprisingly a nine patch formation.  It is easiest to make this first and then add the outer frame of the block afterwards.

Lay the squares out in three rows as shown with a red square at each corner and in the middle.  Place the half rectangle triangle units in pairs in the middle of each edge, with the blue triangles together forming a larger blue triangle pointing in towards the middle of the block.

Sew the pairs of half rectangle triangles together

Sew the pairs of half rectangle triangles together

Sew the pairs of half rectangle triangles together first.  Now all the squares are the same size as each other and can be sewn together across each row.

Sew the rows to each other to complete the nine patch star quilt block central area.

Full layout for the nine patch star quilt block

Full layout for the nine patch star quilt block

Now the outer frame can be added.  Across the top and bottom there are two half square triangle units with a 4.1/2″ by 2.1/2″ white rectangle on either side.  Down each side there are two half square triangle units with a 6.1/2″ white rectangle above and below them.

Sew the top and bottom strips in place

Sew the top and bottom strips in place

Sew the parts of the four strips together first and then sew them to the central nine patch quilt block formation.  Sew the top and bottom strips first and then add the sides.

You will need to make five of the nine patch star quilt blocks.

First and third rows of the nine patch star quilt

First and third rows of the nine patch star quilt

Assembling the nine patch star quilt

The blocks are sewn together in three rows of three.  The first and third rows are made with a nine patch star quilt block at each end and a blue pinwheel quilt block in the middle.

Second row of the nine patch star quilt

Second row of the nine patch star quilt

The second row is made with a red pinwheel quilt block at each end and a nine patch star quilt block in the middle.

Sew the blocks together across each row and then sew the rows to each other.

Add the quilt borders

Add the quilt borders

Adding the quilt borders

I had intended to add a simple red frame to the quilt, but I felt that some of the design was lost when I tried it out, so I added a white border first to give some separation between the quilt blocks and the border.  Both the borders are made using 2.1/2″ strips of fabric.

For the white border you’ll need two lengths of 48.1/2″ for the top and bottom and two lengths of 52.1/2″ for the sides.

For the red border you’ll need two lengths of 52.1/2″ for the top and bottom and two lengths of 56.1/2″ for the sides.

That completes the nine patch star quilt top.  It is now ready for layering, quilting and binding.  Full details of these steps can be found in the beginner quilting section.

What a wonderful week it’s been here in the UK.  Record temperatures and plenty of sunshine.  I always feel cheerful and energised with sunshine, so I’ve been able to get plenty done!

Craftsy

Comments

1. Elizabeth says:

WOW! I really like the quilt. You did a great job. Looking forward to making this. Thank you so much for your time and the pattern.

• Thanks, Elizabeth. Red, white and blue always look good together, don’t they.

• Hi Rose I always think red white and blue looks majestic/ Royal – once again you have created a quilt for a Queen! Enjoy the sunshine- we are now getting it hot too in North East Scotland- am sitting outside (in the shade) doing my sewing- love it.

• Hi Dianne. I’m glad you’re getting some of our hot weather now – I think that you’ve had a lot more rain than us recently. Our weather would be too hot for me except that we usually have a breeze which just cools things down nicely.

2. Carol Smith says:

With American Independence Day tomorrow this quilt is a winner. Looks great Rose. Too busy watching tennis to quilt and the temperature here in Spain is 35 inside!. Thanks again for your continued great ideas and instructions

• Hi Carol. My brother lives in Spain and he’s been commenting how hot it is over there. Lovely time of year, isn’t it, with Wimbledon to keep us entertained. Andy Murray seems to be on great form at the moment so we’re all keeping our fingers crossed.

3. Carol Smith says:

Do you get my comments ?

• Hi Carol. I certainly do get your comments – it’s just that they don’t appear on the website until I’ve had a chance to read them. I get many spam comments offering things that really are not relevant to quilting, so I need to weed them out before I can allow comments to be published. But I really do read, appreciate and reply to all comments.

4. Martha Dyke says:

Thank you Rose. This is beautiful! I love this color combination and plus its my flag colors. Once again you gave me another beautiful pattern to quilt. Thank you Rose.

• Thanks, Martha. It’s a popular colour combination anyway, but it’s also surprising how many countries do have them in their flag.

5. I love your patterns. Keep up the good work. I print them out, and maybe someday I will have the time to sew some up. When you are the sole owner of a business it’s hard sometimes to find time for your self. You probably know this. Thanks anyway and looking forward to more.

• Thanks, scrappypatches. I agree, but I think that it’s important to find me time. Mine is curling up with a book.

6. Carole W says:

This is absolutely super, how you find the time and inspiration when you are in the middle of a move is quite beyond me.

7. Rose
    Beautiful quilt. I love the pattern and the colors. I hope you will have a great weekend and a safe one.
    Take care.
    Carol

• Thanks, Carol. It’s such a popular colour combination, isn’t it. Hope you have a great weekend.

8. Rose, Rose, Rose. I opened your mail and my first thought was “I like it!”. Second thought; too complicated, but I really like it. Of course I kept reading. Guess what? No too hard for me. I love how you make me feel I can do this. Many thanks and kudos to you. pat v

• Thanks for your kind comments, Pat. That’s one of the things that I love about quilting – you can make a project that looks complicated (and impresses non quilters!), but that is not really difficult to make.

9. LOVE!!! Thank you Rose!

I love this quilt, its a happy quilt and I think I can get it done for the weekend picnic!
    Love all your patterns, just don’t always have the time to say Thank you! Have a great weekend and Quilt On
    Liz

11. Interesting pattern combination. I like it. I’m taking it easy for a while. My arthritis is acting up and my fingers are too stiff to do any intricate work. No problems cutting though so I may do just that for now. Now it’s to find an easy pattern for my next project.

• Hi Claire. Sorry to hear that your arthritis is playing up. I hope it eases off for you soon. I take it that you have finished the rail fence quilt now?

12. Jean Daley says:

Thank you for your lovely patterns I look forward to receiving them. Hope you have settled in after your move. Jean

• Thanks, Jean. I don’t move till the end of the month – I just started packing early. I think that I’ve bored everyone with my talk of packing!

13. Great job rose. I love how you break down how to assemble each section you make it look so easy.

• Thanks, Kay. I really do believe that most things are quite easy as long as you break them into small steps.

14. Rose, Like Pat V “I thought too complicated for me”.
    However, I should know by now your tutorial would be very clear
    and understandable and it is a big thank you!.
    Rose, I sincerely hope you will be well settled in your new home very soon.
    Have a relaxing week-end.

• Thanks, Mary. It’s quite an easy pattern when it’s broken down into small steps. I’m definitely looking forward to the move – this house is beginning to look very bare with everything packed away.

15. Just back from a wonderful holiday in Florida Rose, and must thank you for another beautiful pattern. I am finishing the top of the Alpine Cross right now, with Wimbledon – C’mon Murray indeed! And Heather!
    Then I have my friend’s Northern Lights quilt to do (before Christmas hopefully!) but next in line is this one. It’s lovely – so effective and as you so cleverly break it down for us, looks relatively simple! (possibly!)
    Best of luck with the packing – it always takes a long time, but will be worth it in the long run.
    Best wishes always, Brenda

• Hi Brenda. Glad you enjoyed Florida. You certainly came back at the right time for all the excitement of Wimbledon – Heather’s match yesterday was spellbinding!

16. Cindy S says:

What a pretty quilt! Thanks for sharing it with us, you are so kind to share your knowledge and such pretty designs!

17. The top of the rail fence is finished but I am having a problem getting the quilt sandwiched. One suggestion was to tape the backing to a wall but I must find someone to help me because I’ve fallen off a ladder twice and was lucky to not have broken a hip. I’ll just put it aside for now and get back to it later. Thanks for all your help.

• Hi Claire. Definitely don’t hurt yourself using a ladder. Has folding it and doing one half at a time not worked? You’re probably best putting it away and then coming back to it – things always look different when you come back to them fresh.

18. Michele says:

😉

I think this is beautiful. Thank you for sharing. The colours just seem to pop out. I will definitely make this.
    I don’t know how you get time to produce a new quilt and instructions every week but glad you do .
    Love Karen

• Thanks, Karen. I only make the quilt top – I couldn’t do a quilt a week if I was trying to finish the complete quilt.

20. I so love this quilt and everything about it, yes, great colors! But most of all I love that the block pattern overflows into the sashing. Very becoming. Thank you Rose and have a great weekend!

Another great quilt. I love your way of explaining something that looks so complicated, look easy. I have finished quilting a pin wheel quilt just have to put on the binding. This one I think we be on my list next. Trying to do just the tops and then later do the quilting. My problem is how to quilt it. What designs to put on it.
    Today(Sunday), is very sunny. We have been having rain almost every day. Very depressing.
    I to feel more energetic when it is sunny. Been spending my evenings on the porch reading,when it isn’t raining.
    Hope you had a great weekend enjoy your week. Happy quilting.

• Hi Sandra. I love putting the binding on because it completes the quilt, but I rarely manage to get a quilt to that stage. Completing more quilts is definitely on my wish list.