Midnight Star Table Runner Pattern

Midnight star table runner

Midnight star table runner

The midnight star table runner is a delightful project made using the midnight star quilt block.  It measures 46″ by 19″ and I have used 1/4 yard of white fabric, 1/2 yard of light blue and 3/4 yard of dark blue.  There are four quilt blocks, each one 9″ square finished size.

You may have noticed that I haven’t felt able to offer the special offer while I was packing up to move home, but as this is a small project the 10% discount on these fabrics is available on this week’s special offer.

Cutting requirements for the midnight star table runner

3.1/2″ squares:  sixteen light blue

4.1/4″ squares:  eight dark blue, four light blue, eight white

For the borders you will need to cut six 2.1/2″ dark blue strips across the width of fabric and three 1.1/2″ light blue strips across the width of fabric.

I am planning to bind my midnight star table runner with the white fabric – this would require four 2.1/2″ strips of white cut across the width of fabric.

Make half square triangles

Make half square triangles

Making the midnight star quilt block

The first part of making quarter square triangles is to make half square triangle units.  Place two squares with right sides together and mark a line along the diagonal.  Sew a 1/4″ seam either side of the marked line and cut along the line to produce two half square triangle units.  These are now 3.7/8″ squares.  Press the seam allowances towards the blue and trim the two corners where the fabric sticks out.

Make quarter square triangle units

Make quarter square triangle units

In order to convert these into quarter square triangle units, you need to repeat the above process, but using half square triangles instead of plain squares.  Place two half square triangle units with right sides together.  Both units should have the seam running in the same direction.  Mark a line along the other diagonal, crossing the first seam, sew a seam 1/4″ either side of the marked line and cut along the line to give two quarter square triangle units.

Three different quarter square triangle units

Three different quarter square triangle units

That’s the basic technique, but obviously it’s which colour half square triangles that you use which will make the different quarter square triangle units required for this midnight star table runner.

So for the dark blue/white quarter square triangles you will need to make half square triangles from dark blue and white squares.  Place two of these half square triangles with right sides together, making sure that the dark blue of one is against the white of the other.  Proceed as above and you will produce quarter square triangles of dark blue and white.  You need to make eight of these and that will require four plain squares each of dark blue and white to begin with.

For the light blue/white quarter square triangles do the same but with light blue and white squares only.  You need to make four of these, so you must start with two squares each of light blue and white.

Third configuration of quarter square triangles

Third configuration of quarter square triangles

The third colour combination has two dark blue triangles, one white and one light blue triangle.  To make these you will need to make half square triangles using dark blue and white squares, as well as using dark blue and light blue squares.  Place a dark blue/white half square triangle right sides together with a dark blue/light blue half square triangle, making sure that the two dark blue triangles are not lying against each other.

You need to make eight of these quarter square triangles, so you will need to use four dark blue squares, two white and two light blue squares to begin with.

I hope this is clear, but if not you might find it helpful to watch the video where you can see me actually placing the squares together for each quarter square triangle.

Midnight star quilt block layout

Midnight star quilt block layout

Lay the squares out in three rows of row.  There’s a light blue 3.1/2″ square in each corner and a light blue/white quarter square triangle in the middle.  The dark blue/white quarter square triangles are placed in the middle of the first and third rows, and the three-coloured quarter square triangles are placed at each end of the middle row.

Sew the squares together across each row and then sew the rows to each other to complete the midnight star quilt block.

Make four blocks.

First border

First border

Assembling the midnight star table runner

Sew the blocks together in a row.

For the purposes of the border, I’m counting the long edges as the top and bottom and the short edges as the sides.  The first border is made using 2.1/2″ strips of dark blue fabric.  You’ll need two lengths of 36.1/2″ for the top and bottom and two lengths of 13.1/2″ for the sides.

Add the second and third borders

Add the second and third borders

The second border is made with 1.1/2″ strips of light blue fabric.  You’ll need two lengths of 40.1/2″ for the top and bottom and two lengths of 15.1/2″ for the sides.

And finally the third border is made using the 2.1/2″ strips of dark blue again.  You’ll need two lengths of 42.1/2″ for the top and bottom with two lengths of 19.1/2″ for the sides.

That completes the midnight star table runner.  It can now be layered, quilted and bound as for any quilt.  You can find full details of these steps in the beginner quilting section.

I am moving house on Tuesday – well I am if everything goes according to plan!  I’ve already written the pattern for next Friday, but I’ll be without phone or broadband for a week in my new house so please bear with me if I take a while to reply to comments and emails.  I’ll be making use of the broadband in places like Starbucks and the library.

Craftsy

Comments

1. Dear Rose – this is lovely and so useful. Thank you.

Good luck with next week. I hope all goes to plan.

all best Janny

2. Jean Daley says:

Thank you for a lovely pattern. Good luck for next week Jean

3. Trish Tarbuck says:

Hi Rose, this is lovely and I bet it would look great in Christmassy fabrics.Well you don’t waste much time when you have made your mind up.Hope everything with the sale and move goes according to plan and all the very best of luck in your new home.🏡🏡

• Thanks, Trish. I feel that it’s taken me forever to get to this point, but as you say it really hasn’t been that long. I don’t think that I could have coped with waiting months and months for the house to sell.

4. Lindy du Toit says:

Dear Rose, I hope your new place will bring you much pleasure. May your move be smooth and uncomplicated. Hugs. Lindy

• Thanks, Lindy. I feel really calm at the moment – I just hope that I still feel this way on Tuesday.

5. Thank you for the lovely table runner. Have ordered the kit. Safe removals day.

6. Debbie Gibbs says:

I so love looking at all these patterns….this is a keeper for sure…printing it out!!

7. Dear Rose, thank you for the patter, I can see it in so many colours. I also know how you’re feeling, I am in the process of moving too in the next few weeks and the new house hasn’t even a landline so I’m Going to have to wait until I’m Back on line…. How do we accumulate so much rubbish and junk? Best of luck with your move.

• Thanks, Suzy – and good luck with your move. My new house has a landline, so I’m not even sure why I have to wait a week for the phone. I’ve been quite ruthless in chucking things out while I was packing and I’m going to try not to accumulate more junk in my new home.

8. valatbrora says:

You are amazing! I do not know how you manage to do all this sewing and filming when you are about to move house. I hope there are no more glitches: Good Luck! Valatbrora.

9. What a lovely pattern!! Thank you so much Rose ! Good luck with your move – hope it goes really well and you will soon be settled. Monica

10. Marilyn Larkin says:

Dear Rose, thank – you for a very pretty table runner. This is the start of a new chapter in your life. What a magnificent journey so far. Wishing you good weather for Tuesday, safe journey to Birmingham and; most of all a new home filled with warmth and love.

• Thank you, Marilyn. What lovely sentiments – I’ll certainly echo your wish for good weather on Tuesday.

11. Dian Rengkuan says:

Thank you for lovely table runner pattern Rose…

12. Janet Baddams says:

A lovely design, I hope to use some of my stash of fabrics to make it! Hope your removal goes to plan. Jan

13. Rose, Thanks, for taking time out from everything else you have
    to do, to send out another lovely pattern.
    I really hope there’s no more delays in getting things completed.
    The legal side of things are a real pain.
    I wish you the very best of health, happiness and peace in your new home.
    Thankfully, you will be well settled in before winter arrives.

• Thanks, Mary. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the legal side is sorted out on Tuesday. It’s all a little last minute, but I’m sure it will turn out okay in the end.

14. Must try this in yellow. Perfect weekend project. Hope your move is an easy one, Rose.

• Thanks, Gail. It certainly goes together quickly once you’ve made the quarter square triangles. I’m going to try and finish it before I move.

15. Beautiful! I can also picture this in fall colors. Thank you for sharing.

Best wishes on a successful move next week.

Blessings,
    Linda

16. Thanks for this lovely pattern, Rose, and good luck with your move next week. Hope it doesn’t prove too stressful.
    Carole in sunny Cyprus

17. Thanks, for the pattern. I love the colors. Blue is my mom’s favorite color. I may have to make this for her. Best wishes on your move and your new home.

• Thanks, Kathy. Blue’s my favourite too – I sometimes worry that I use it far too often in my quilts.

18. Lovely pattern – I hope your move goes well and you settle in and get up and running smoothly.

19. Hope your move goes well. Fingers crossed for a sunny day.

20. Mary Ellen says:

Thank you for the lovely table runner pattern. It arrived to me just in time to make a gift for a friend. Your timing is perfect! I hope your move is perfect too! Moving is so stressful and difficult. I hope you can relax and let someone else do all the “heavy Lifting”
    Mary Ellen

21. Great Table runner Rose .I am into table runners for little gifts these days so this desin will help .Good luck in your new home. I have been in mine just over 1 month and still organizing my craft room. Everything did NOT go as planned and it was very stressful but thanks to some help from above It all worked out in the end and I am very happy with my new surroundings.

• Thanks, ElizaJane. That makes me feel better – I am feeling quite stressed at the moment. Glad you’re settling into your new house.

I left a comment on my iPad. It looks as though you didn’t receive it. I like your design and I’m saving it because I will only be making table runners, baby quilts and lap quilts from now on. Moving is the worst. I moved 9 times in my lifetime and it’s not only stressful – it’s downright depressing. I’m praying that everything will run smoothly without any glitches and by the time you know it you’ll be sitting in a comfy chair sipping wine or a nice cup of tea.

• Hi Claire – sorry, it does look as though your first comment was swallowed somewhere. Thanks for the support – I do feel depressed and I’m cross with myself because I should feel excited. I think that it’s the uncertainty getting to me – I’m still not 100% sure that it will all happen on Tuesday.

23. Thank you for the beautiful pattern tutorial and good luck with the move…

24. Rosemary harding says:

Thanks so much for your table runner it looks great, I can see it in lovely reds and purple colours. Thanks again for your time in taking in doing this when you’re in the middle of moving. We too are moving hopefully to Lowestoft, where our daughter,husband and children live.praying it won’t be long now.praying that all goes well for you, and you settle in very quickly and make it your home, with lots of fun and laugher and love. Take care to take time to rest in all the things you have to do. Love Rosemary x x

• Hi Rosemary. I always think that the lovely thing with making your own table runners is that you can do them in several colourways to match your mood, or the season or whatever. I hope your move to Lowestoft goes well. My house sale was relatively straightforward, it’s just that these last few days are terribly nerve wracking because we haven’t even exchanged yet and I’m terrified that it will all so pear shaped at the last minute. My rest will come after I’ve moved!

Thank you for the great pattern. As you were explaining I was seeing it in a Christmas pattern, and a fall pattern. Will start working it next week or maybe the week after that.
    Hope the move goes smoothly and you will have good luck and make good memories and many more quilts in your new house.
    Happy moving and happy quilting and take time to enjoy the new house.

26. Lovely pattern, Rose. I also thought it would look great for Christmas. All the best for your move. We moved two years ago and said ‘Never again!’ Nola from chilly Canberra

• Thanks, Nola. I’m already saying ‘never again’ and I haven’t quite moved yet! We finally exchanged yesterday afternoon, clearing the way for the move today.

27. Lynne Barker says:

Hi Rose, thank you once again for another lovely pattern. I shall be making these as gifts for Christmas. Hope all has gone well with the move x

• Thanks, Lynne. Yes, I’ve moved and it all went more smoothly than I’d expected. I have no phone or broadband yet so I’m sitting in Birmingham library using their wifi at the moment. There’s a Caribbean festival in the square outside with lots of music and food smells!

28. karin wijaya says:

Dear Rose, thank you for sending me midnight star table runner patern.
    Its lovely and it looks easy to make. , I am thinking to make a table runner using this pattern.
    Wish you all the best.