House Wall Hanging Pattern

House wall hanging

House wall hanging

Well, what could be more appropriate than a house wall hanging pattern for the week in which I have moved to Birmingham!  There are loads of house quilt block patterns around, but I have made this block as simple as possible.  I’ve used the same colours in each block, but in fact you could use it as a scrappy project and use different colours in each block.  I have used four blocks for the house wall hanging, all 9″ square finished size and the house wall hanging itself measures 23″ square.

House quilt block

House quilt block

Cutting requirements for the house wall hanging

Green:  four 1.1/2″ by 9.1/2″ strips

Cream:  sixteen 1.1/2″ by 3.1/2″ strips, sixteen 1.1/2″ squares

White:  eight 1.1/2″ squares

Brown:  eight 2.1/2″ by 1.1/2″ strips, four 3.1/2″ by 1.1/2″ strips

Red:  four 3.1/2″ by 5.1/2″ rectangles, four 3.7/8″ by 2.7/8″ rectangles

Blue:  four 3.7/8″ by 2.7/8″ rectangles, eight 1.1/2″ by 4.1/2″ strips, four 1.1/2″ by 9.1/2″ strips

Black:  four 1.1/2″ squares, four 2.1/2″ by 1.1/2″ strips

Dark blue:  two 1.1/2″ by 9.1/2″ strips and one 1.1/2″ by 19.1/2″ strip for the sashing.  For the border you will need to cut 2.1/2″ strips of dark blue:  two lengths of 19.1/2″ and two lengths of 23.1/2″.

Make half rectangle triangles

Make half rectangle triangles

Making the blocks for the house wall hanging

Make half rectangle triangles with the blue and red 3.7/8″ rectangles.  Place the rectangles in  pairs with wrong sides together (as they are layered when you buy the fabric) and cut along one diagonal.

Match up red and blue triangles to re form a rectangle.  Flip one triangle over so that you can sew them together along the longest edge of the triangles.  Press the triangles open and trim the corners where the triangle tips stick out.  These half rectangle triangles are now 3.1/2″ by 2.1/2″.

House quilt block layout

House quilt block layout

Lay all the patchwork pieces out to form a house.  At the bottom you have a 9.1/2″ strip of green for the grass.

Above the green strip there are two sections for the windows with one section for the door in between them.  The window sections are made with two 3.1/2″ cream strips above and below the window, and two cream and one white 1.1/2″ squares forming the window itself.

Begin sewing the strips together across the rows

Begin sewing the strips together across the rows

The door section is made with a black 2.1/2″ strip for the door with a 2.1/2″ brown strip on either side and a 3.1/2″ brown strip across the top of the door.

For the roof of the house you’ll need the red rectangle with a half rectangle triangle on either side of it.

The chimney is made using a 1.1/2″ black square with a 4.1/2″ blue strip on either side, and the final strip is a 9.1/2″ blue strip for the sky.

Sew the rows to each other

Sew the rows to each other

Begin sewing the pieces together across the rows.  For the window sections you will need to sew the two lower rows together first so that they are the same size as the door section and then that row can be sewn together.

Finally sew all the rows to each other to complete the house quilt block.  You need to make four of these.

Join the blocks with sashing

Join the blocks with sashing

Assembling the house wall hanging

Sew the house quilt blocks together in pairs with a 9.1/2″ strip of dark blue sashing between them.  Sew the two pairs of blocks together with a 19.1/2″ strip of sashing between them.

House wall hanging border

House wall hanging border

For the border I have used slightly wider 2.1/2″ strips of dark blue.  You’ll need two lengths of 19.1/2″ for the top and bottom and two lengths of 23.1/2″ for the sides.

That completes the house wall hanging.  It can now be layered, quilted and bound as for any quilt.  Unusually for me, I have actually completed this wall hanging.  I used stitch in the ditch quilting between the blocks, cross hatch quilting for the roof in each block and a meander quilting across the sky and for the main body of the house – the cream fabric.  For the binding I have used the same red fabric as that used for the roof.

As you have obviously realised, I have moved house now.  We didn’t exchange contracts till 4 o’clock on Monday but were still able to move on Tuesday – well done to my solicitor!  I had hoped to write an article telling you all about my first impressions of Birmingham, but I don’t have a phone or broadband yet, so I’m making do with the free wifi in the library or some cafes.  I hope that by next week I will have plenty of photos for you to see.

Comments

1. Pauline Simpson says:

This will be a great quilt for me to make for my granddaughter. So pleased your move went OK.

• Thanks, Pauline. I’m glad that I made this before I moved, given that I’m struggling for broadband now!

2. Carol Smith says:

Great news, so glad the move went well. May you be very very happy in your new home.

3. That’s a really good, fun project this week, Rose. Enjoy your new home.

• Thanks, Isabel. I feel that the pressure is off me now – there’s no time limit on finishing the unpacking.

4. Congratulations Rose on your successful exchange and subsequent move. I’m very glad to hear you feel somewhat settled already, and wish you all the very best in your new home.
    Thank you for finding the time (and the local library!) to upload this charming pattern – although I have too many projects on the go to start it now, I have filed it away for a quieter time.
    Very best wishes, and thanks for all your hard work, Brenda

• Thanks, Brenda. The Birmingham Library is superb – I’m looking forward to spending more time there.

5. Delighted with this wall hanging Rose, Thanks!
    Glad you have finally moved and that all went well.
    Health, happiness and plenty of sewing in your new home.
    Have you enough room for all your machines?

• Hi Mary. I need to do a bit of adapting to set up all my sewing machines. I’m going to take before and after photos of the rooms!

6. Hooray,so pleased the move went well.Our glasses have been raised to toast your future happiness in your new home.Really looking forward to seeing pics and hearing all about your new location.Lovely wall hanging and so appropriate .All best wishes Love Carole

• Thanks, Carole. After all my stressing, I couldn’t believe how smoothly everything went on Tuesday – even the rain stayed away!

7. Congratulations on your move, hope you’ll be a happy quilter in your new surroundings.

8. I’m so glad everything went according to plan and you are now settled in your new home. Now when your daughter visits she won’t have to share her room with Minnie. I’ll be anxious to see your photos of all the goings on. I like your house quilt block. It’s bright and cheerful and would look great in any room.

• Thanks, Claire. Minnie can’t be unpacked yet, and yes you’re right she won’t go in Samantha’s room. If Samantha visited now she would just have to navigate through lots of boxes to get to her bed.

9. Beautiful, thanks for that. Good luck with the unpacking and tidying away.

10. Olive Procyshyn says:

As usual a very nice design Rose and pleased to hear your move all went ahead smoothly.

• Thanks, Olive. I’m so relieved to be here and able to unpack slowly without feeling as pressured as I have felt these last few weeks.

11. Rose,
    I am glad for you. There is nothing like moving into a different home.old or new. I have moved 14 times in my life. Each time I get rid of alot. By the time I move again I have twice as much as I did before.
    Anyways,
    Carol Congratulations on your move

• Thanks, Carol. How have you managed to move that often and stay sane! I have found this move bad enough and it’s not something I’ll do again in a hurry!

12. Dear Rose – this is such fun and of course looks exactly like your new home. I hope you had a smooth move and a good day off pampering yourself..

all best Janny x

• Thanks, Janny. Not quite like my house – bit of poetic licence there! The move went well and I didn’t even feel guilty taking some time off the next day to ease my aches and pains – so much lifting and carrying to do, even though the removal men were marvellous.

13. Margaret says:

Hope you will be very happy there. I moved house two weeks ago, but as we are having a house built, which won’t be finished until October, we are living in temporary accommodation meanwhile. Boxes, boxes everywhere; so well done you if you are settling in already! X

• Oh Margaret – you have my sympathies! Moving is so stressful, isn’t it? I like to think that I don’t stress much, but I certainly did this last week. I hope your new house gets finished sooner than forecast.

• Margaret says:

Thanks Rose. At the moment I can’t even find my sewing machine – it’s buried beneath a pile of boxes in the garage. I’m storing up your patterns for future use. The tumbling blocks quilt now graces my great-grandson’s cot and the stained glass window is a work in progress! Love the house wall hanging, maybe the stained glass can wait a while – hmmm? Incidentally, we are used to moving around too like a previous lady, in 50 years of marriage this is our 13th move! Furthest South Devon and now Lancashire. Now you can take a deep breath and relax for a little while. X

• Hi Margaret. I was terrified of losing my sewing machine, so I kept it in the car with me. How lovely to have a great grandson – he must be very special to you. I hope you enjoy settling in Lancashire – I certainly don’t think that I could cope with the number of moves that you have made.

14. Hannah Veale says:

Hi Rose, Yes its a very appropriate quilt block,I love this block,it will look lovely hanging in your new home, (I’m putting it my to do list) very glad that all went well for you, don’t worry about the rest of the unpacking it will all get sorted,
    Best Wishes,
    Hannah.

• Thanks, Hannah. That’s my feeling – as long as I have the basics and can find some of my fabrics I’ll be happy.

15. Shirley says:

Congratulations on your new home. I wish you happiness and good health. Enjoy. x

16. Every happiness in your new home Rose.

17. Elizabeth says:

Hi Rose, my sister lives in Sutton Coldfield so another ex-Luanshya near you:-)

• Hi Elizabeth. There seem to be a lot of us about. I went back to Zambia last October for the 50th anniversary of independance and had a wonderful time. I even got to meet Dr Kaunda!

18. Good Luck and best wishes in your new home Rose. A new challenge and one that we
    females always enjoy

19. Lynne Lennox says:

Hi Rose, just to say I wish you every happiness in your new home and thank you for all the great patterns
    Best wishes
    Lynne

20. So happy to hear everything went pretty smooth with your move. This wall hanging is very cute and one I will have to try. Have a nice week end,Marge

21. Hilary Shaw says:

Glad your move went well anf you are already feeling settled! Looking forward to seeing photos! Quite a change from Ludlow!! Keep up the good work!

• Thanks, Hilary. Birmingham is full of owls at the moment. I had heard about them but it’s lovely seeing them brightening up parts of Birmingham. I’ll try and get some photos of them before next week.

22. Marilyn Larkin says:

Well done Superwoman, you are now settled for a long, long while. I hope you find the time to soak up the europhia of those initial days in your new surroundings, they are magic. The house wall hanging is so evocative of English houses, brings me back to my childhood. We have been watching the cricket in the wee small hours here in Australia and; have been treated to some views of Birmingham, you have much to explore and enjoy in your new city. Congratulations once again on all you have achieved this year.

• Many thanks, Marilyn. I live in a suburb next door to Edgbaston where the test match was played. I’ve already promised the kids that I’ll get them tickets next time there’s a test here. There seems to be so much happening in Birmingham – it’s a really vibrant city.

23. Rosemary harding says:

Hi Rose
    Glad your move went ok, it’s looks a easy pattern to do.thanks for all your work in making it
    May God bless your home and everything you do.
    love Rosemary Harding from Chelmsford Essex x x x

• Thanks for your good wishes, Rosemary. Some of the house quilt blocks are quite complex, but I wanted to stick to one that could be put together quite quickly.

24. Jan Branson says:

I love this quilt block. Will happily have a go at it when I’ve done my current one.
    Glad you’ve nearly settled in. House moves are very stressful.
    Very different environment, Ludlow to Brum. Good luck to you.
    Jan

• Thanks, Jan. Yes, Birmingham is definitely a change of tempo after Ludlow – there’s so much for me to see and explore.

25. Cecilia Alcantar says:

Dear Rose, I can understand the stress level that comes with moving. Two years.ago today, my husband & I moved from one house where we lived in for forty two yrs. Now that you’re in your new house,everything will soon be in good shape after all is said & done.The house block that you made will be a pleasant welcome to you in your new surroundings indeed. Cheer’e to you!!! Your admirer, Cecilia Alcantar

• Thanks so much, Cecilia. That must have been a major job, moving after 42 years in one house. I have tried to be ruthless about throwing things out – it’s too easy to put things away just in case you might need them one day, isn’t it.

26. Good Morning Rose,

So glad to hear that your house move went very well and the weather stayed dry for you, that is always a blessing!

Great work on getting your basics unboxed and up and running. It will take time to settle in and get everything just the way you want it, remember Rome wasn’t built in a day…..

Such a lovely wee house wall hanging and one that I have saved for a another time.

As they say in Scotland – lang may yir lum reek (may you live long and stay well).

All the Best in your New House and Enjoy it xx

• Thanks so much, Helen. What a lovely saying – and what a lovely way of expressing it. I am definitely having to remind myself about Rome – I try to make myself just notice how much I’ve achieved in a day, rather than looking at how much I still have to do.

27. So Happy to hear all went well after all that stress Rose.This past Saturday after 6 weeks in my new house I had a House warming/blessing party with 25 friends and family (I was also 42 years on my old house). It was a rush to have almost every room organized he only one left is my Sewing/craft room which became a collection place for undecided items, I can’t wait to get into it this week as one of the quilts I had started was streets of many different style houses,

• Hi Elizajane. Well done for getting settled in so quickly. After 42 years in your previous home moving must have been a nightmare. A quilt made of streets of house blocks sounds enchanting.

28. It would be fun to adapt this to a quilt-as-you-go paper-pieced block, meaning to do the piecing and batting and backing all at once, then just sew together using your instructions for the quilt-as-you-go joining.