Magic Carpet Bed Runner Quilt

Magic carpet bed runner quilt pattern

Magic carpet bed runner quilt pattern

The magic carpet bed runner quilt seems very appropriate given that I’m moving house soon – how I wish I could just load everything on to a magic carpet!  I’ve made this bed runner using just two rather enormous magic carpet quilt blocks and it measures 28″ by 52″.  If you haven’t come across a bed runner quilt before, this is one that just lies across the bottom of the bed rather than covering the entire bed.  If you wanted to make it wider for a larger bed you could just add more blocks.  Each block is 24″ square finished size and I have used 1/4 yard of white fabric, 1/2 yard of blue, 3/4 yard of yellow and 1 yard of red fabric.  As usual, you can buy these fabrics at a 10% reduction in this week’s special offer.

Magic carpet quilt block

Magic carpet quilt block

Cutting requirements for the magic carpet bed runner

6.1/2″ squares:  eight red

3.7/8″ squares:  twenty four each in blue and yellow, twenty each in yellow and white

3.1/2″ squares:  eight yellow

For the border you will need to cut four 2.1/2″ strips of red across the width of fabric

Making the magic carpet quilt block

Make half square triangle units in the colour combinations listed above.  Place two squares with right sides together and mark a line along the diagonal.  Sew a 1/4″ seam either side of the marked line and cut along the line.  This will produce two half square triangle units.  You’ll need to make them in yellow/blue and also in yellow/white.

Magic carpet quilt block layout

Magic carpet quilt block layout

Lay the squares out as shown.  I know that the magic carpet quilt block looks huge, but if you break it down into sections it’s not a difficult block to make.

It is totally symmetrical, so what you have in one corner will be the same in all the corners.

In each corner there is a red square surrounded by yellow/blue half square triangles which together form a blue diamond and a yellow frame around each red square.  In the middle are four 3.1/2″ yellow squares and they are surrounded by yellow/blue half square triangles to show up the star.  Most of the white triangles are placed so that they form that butterfly-type shape on each edge of the block.

Sew the small squares across the rows

Sew the small squares across the rows

Sew the small squares together across the rows.  On the top two and bottom two rows this means just sewing four squares together, while for the middle four rows you can sew all the squares together across the rows.

Sew the small rows to each other

Sew the small rows to each other

Sew the two small rows at the top and bottom to each other to make them the same height as the red squares.  Sew the red squares to each end of these rows.  You can now sew all the rows to each other to complete the magic carpet quilt block.

You will need to make two of these.

Add the border

Add the border

Assembling the magic carpet bed runner quilt

Sew the two blocks together.  For the border I have used 2.1/2″ strips of red fabric – two lengths of 24.1/2″ for the two short sides and two lengths of 52.1/2″ for the long sides.

That completes the magic square bed runner.  It can now be layered, quilted and bound as for any quilt.  Full details of these steps can be found in the beginner quilting section.

After all the hectic running around last weekend I am planning a quiet weekend.  I’m sorry I can’t bring you any photos of the quilt show that I went to last Saturday, but there were signs requesting no photos for blogs, so I can just assure you that there were some beautiful quilts on display.

Craftsy

Comments

1. Thank you Rose, this should make a lovely bed runner with the chosen colours of our bedroom.

2. Best wishes on your move. I pray that it will be one which makes you happy!
    I moved 6 years ago and I am so happy in my new home!
    re hoarding – the quilter’s joke is that “the quilter who dies with the biggest stash WINS’
    but it is better to use it up or give it away!
    Stay healthy and continue to quilt and to help all of us create beautiful things and if not actually to make the thing, at least the viewers get the pleasure of seeing the results of your wonderful talent!

• Thanks for those sentiments, Fay. When I went to view my new house, I thought ‘I could be happy here’ almost as soon as I walked through the door. I’m hoping to move at the end of July – and then I can get Minnie out and start fiishing projects again. Love the idea of winning the stash competition!

• Have a sign on my table, “she does dies with the most fabric left, wasn’t quilting fast enough ,,”

3. Cecilia Alcantar says:

Hi Rose, Oh how bright indeed with the colors chosen. A bed runner I never really thought of but some hotels have them on the made up bed. Great idea and one I will attempt to make. and your step by step guide will help me.Thanks a bunch! Cecilia Alcantar

4. Rose, I love the name of this pattern. It would make a stunning full-sized quilt.
    If you try and do too much to soon in the line of packing you become overwhelmed.
    Yes, of course you will be happy in your new home.
    You have the best wishes of all of us.

• Thanks, Mary. You’re right – I thought that it would be better if I started packing as soon as possible, but it seems to be dragging on forever now.

5. Carolyne says:

Lovely quilt! Thanks so much Rose. Just love your email on Friday. Wishing you well in your new new home!

6. Hi Rose,This is the perfect quilt for keeping the little feet ,[or as we call them tootsies] warm at night.Love the bright colours and a lovely size to handle.Good Luck with the move and all the packing etc.Wish there was a magic wand that would go with a magic carpet,wow that would make life easy.Keep smiling love Carole

• Thanks, Carole. It’s sometimes nice to have a small project on the go, isn’t it – something that doesn’t hang around for too long waiting to be completed.

7. Marilyn says:

Your a mind reader Rose, just said this morning want to make a bed runner for a friend and hey presto you send me this. Thank you. Good luck with the move.
    Marilyn

• Hi Marilyn. Glad to be of service. I don’t have enough bed runner patterns on the website – I’ll see if I can add a few later in the year when things have quietened down a little.

Another great idea and pattern. I did think of making a bed runner after I made my queen sized quilt. Then dismissed the notion. Well that notion is back on, I think I have enough fabric left to make this pattern. If not I will just fudge it to make it work. I have been doing a little more quilt tops not the whole project.
    Have a restful weekend going through your “stuff”. Its always nice to see what was hoarded in the past. Throw out some so you can start a new hoard when you get to your new house.
    Happy quilting!

• Hi Sandra. You could always add a few extra fabrics in if you were short of one particular fabric. I often end up with just the quilt top made – in fact I’m quite shocked at the number of unfinished quilts I will have to work on when I eventually unpack Minnie and set her to work.

9. Hi Rose .Thanks again for a beautiful project, I have been in my new house for 5 days and not progressing as fast as I would like with the unpacking, I love my new house and the neighboiurs are very friendly -most seniors like I. I’m am so anxious to get my sewing room set up. But must concentrate on the kitchen and other living spaces., I was luicky to have a lot of helpers but not everyone labeled box contents so lots of surprises lol. Hope your move goes well.Best wishes

• Hi Eliza. You must be relieved to have the move out the way even if much of the unpacking still remains. I think that I will end up being torn between wanting to unpack and wanting to explore my new neighbourhood. Like you, I’m planning a separate sewing room – in this house I have had fabrics and projects spread throughout the house. Good luck with settling in to your new home.

10. Linda Erickson says:

Rose, another fine example of your creativity and expertise. If I may take the liberty after moving over 30 times in my life — I can’t encourage you enough to put on hold your blog, your patterns and sewing, YT videos between now and your move and maybe even a month after you get settled in. You’ve had more than the average amount of stress in your life this last year. Be kind to yourself – get the stress of move under control as much as you can as soon as you can — and THEN get back to the blog, quilts,YT videos, filtering and answering all these messages. You deserve this break; ALL of will understand and not think less of you. In fact, we might think even more highly of you for making your move a higher priority. Listen to all your friends who wish you well. Please know my comments come from hard lessons learned over the years and are only because of the respect I have for you. Linda E., USA

• Thanks for your comments, Linda. I appreciate your concern, but you have to understand that quilting and sharing gives me so much pleasure that it would be a real hardship to give that up. I’ve cut back on the admin side of the website, but in general terms I’m not feeling overworked at the moment – I’ve got a huge amount packed already and there’s still another month to go before I move. You have my sympathies moving house as often as you have done – now that I would definitely have found stressful!

The bed runners are new to me. Your magic carpet pattern is lovely and one I might try making someday.
    I’ve moved many times in my day and I always thought the worse part of the move was the packing and unpacking. Will your children be around to help? Hope so. In any case, good luck and smooth sailing.

• Hi Claire. They’re quite useful for brightening up a room – and for an extra layer on your feet. I agree about the packing – actually it’s deciding what to take and what to give to the charity shops that takes me time.

12. Hi Rose, this is a great pattern. I am thinking of a table runner. It has placement for 4 sitting across from each other. Or 6 if you use the placements at each end. Thanks again.

• Hi Linda. I did think that this might also make a good table runner. For my own table, I would have to make it with just one block.

13. Hi Rose yes – very colourful- I like it. Just about finished my colourful quilt and half way through a lap one for my granddaughter for when she goes off to college in September- comfort quilt!. Happy packing – have a nice weekend

• Thanks, Dianne. Great idea to give a quilt to your grand daughter a quilt. I gave one to my daughter when she went to uni but I forgot to tell her that it was fully washable – it was a bit whiffy by the end of term.

14. Barbara says:

We’ve been in our new house exactly two months, Rose and we just love being here! We’ve so much to do to make it truly our own but are enjoying every minute and all the upheaval and work involved will be just a pleasure.

• Hi Barbara. I’m so pleased that your move has been successful – the work of moving is fully outweighed by the pleasure of the new house, isn’t it. That’s how I feel about moving to my new house.

15. Carol davidson says:

Thanks Rose, just signed up with your site, love it, and the lovely English accent, sure miss it out here across the pond in Canada. Will make the bed runner, seems like a grand idea to brighten up the room. All the best with your move. Carol

• Hi Carol. Welcome to the website. Glad you like the bed runner pattern – it’s very simple to make.