Box Quilt Pattern

Box quilt pattern

Box quilt pattern

The box quilt pattern is made with a Nancy Page block called, unsurprisingly, the box quilt block.  To me, it’s one of those blocks that look like a box or a star depending on how you look at it.  The quilt measures 68″ square and I have used sixteen blocks which are each 16″ finished size.

To make the box quilt pattern I have used two colour pairings – a light and a dark blue together with a red and pink – with white for the background.  I have used 3/4 yard each of dark blue and light blue, 1 yard each of pink and red and 1.1/2 yards of white fabric.  As usual you can buy these fabrics at a 10% discount in this week’s special offer.

Completed box quilt block

Completed box quilt block

Cutting requirements for the box quilt pattern

2.1/2″ by 4.1/2″ rectangles:  thirty two dark blue, thirty two light blue, thirty two red, thirty two pink

2.1/2″ by 6.1/2″ rectangles:  thirty two dark blue, thirty two light blue, thirty two red, thirty two pink

4.1/2″ squares:  sixty four white

2.7/8″ squares:  thirty two pink, thirty two red, sixty four white

For the border you will need 2.1/2″ strips of red fabric – two 64.1/2″ long and two 68.1/2″ long

Making the box quilt block

Make half square triangles with the 2.7/8″ squares.  Place a white square with either a red or a pink square, right sides together.  Mark a line along the diagonal and sew a 1/4″ seam either side of the marked line.  Cut along the line to produce two half square triangle units.  These are now 2.1/2″ squares.

Box quilt block layout

Box quilt block layout

Lay the squares out as shown.  Basically the layout is the same in each quarter of the box quilt block.  In two of them the central white square is surrounded by dark blue and pink while in the other two the central square is surrounded by light blue and red.

The half square triangle units are placed half way along each edge of the block so that they extend the pink or red rectangles.  You can check that you have them placed correctly by seeing that the white triangles form larger white triangles pointing in towards the middle of the block.

Sew the pieces together in columns

Sew the pieces together in columns

Originally I had planned to sew the patchwork pieces together within each quarter and then sew the quarters together, but as I was looking at it I realised that it would be far more simple just to sew the pieces together down each column.  You will have six columns which are not the same width as each other, but that doesn’t matter because the pieces are all the same width within each column.

Sew the columns to each other to complete the block.  You will need to make sixteen of these for the box quilt pattern.  They are 16.1/2″ square at this stage.

Rows 1 and 3 of the box quilt pattern

Rows 1 and 3 of the box quilt pattern

Assembling the box quilt pattern

Sew the blocks together in four rows of four.  Every alternate block is rotated to create the quilt design.

I’ll identify the blocks by which colour is in the top left corner of the block.  So, for rows 1 and 3, the first block has light blue in the top left, the next one has dark blue, then light blue again and finally dark blue.

Rows 2 and 4

Rows 2 and 4

Rows 2 and 4 are the same as each other and the placement for them is dark blue, light blue, dark blue, light blue.

Sew the blocks together across each row and then sew the rows to each other.

Box quilt pattern border

Box quilt pattern border

Box quilt pattern border

I have made a simple border using 2.1/2″ strips of red fabric.  You’ll need two lengths of 64.1/2″ for the top and bottom and two lengths of 68.1/2″ for the sides.

That completes the box quilt pattern.  It is now ready for layering, quilting and binding.  Full details of these steps can be found in the beginner quilting section.

Alternative box quilt image

Alternative box quilt image

Just for interest, here’s an image of the box quilt block with no rotation, just sashing to separate the blocks.

Nantes quilt show 2015

Nantes quilt show 2015

Last weekend I went to Nantes in France for a quilt show – and also to enjoy the sights of the city itself.  It was a wonderful weekend and you can see some of my experiences here.

Imagekind - Fine Art and Photography for Every Wall

Comments

1. Dear Rose – another example for me to drool over and envy your skill. Thank you.
    all best Janny

2. Christine says:

Looks really good and easy thankyou

3. Lesley says:

Another lovely pattern Rose, thank you.

4. Sheila x says:

Like Elizabeth I travel the world by going on Google to see where my friends are going.
    I am so glad you enjoyed your trip and that you got to ride the Elephant ,it looked most intriguing on Google I liked the Fumiko quilt .
    You can really “see” the boxes in the quilt block
    love and hugs Sheila xx

• Hi Sheila. I forgot to say that the elephant actually made roaring noises every now and again. They also had some mechanical herons that would fly, but I didn’t actually see them in flight.

5. Rose !!!!! Love it, love it, love it. Another master piece.

6. Val Henry, Devore, California says:

Rose, I have been looking for a throw for my best friend’s son who is in the military and will be deployed next month. I wanted something different than the standard red/white/blue throws out there for military personnel. This pattern hit the spot for me. Gonna get on it right away so I can send it to him shortly after he arrives overseas. Thanks for the hard, yet fun work you do… and thank you for sharing so much of that work with us, your loyal fans.

• Hi Val. I’m so glad that you have such a ready use for the quilt pattern. Good luck to your friend’s son.

7. Donna From says:

Hi Rose. Thank you for you emails and patterns. It is lovely to see what folks in other countries are doing. Here on the Saskatchewan prairies in Canada it seem like it is quilt weather 10 months of the year so there is no shortage of quilts to make for family and friends. Thanks again for your posts.

• Hi Donna. That sounds like a very long winter! Our weather is milder now but still not as warm as I’d like in May.

8. Lovely Rose thanks for your inspiration!

Another great quilt. You are truly using your talent to educate us your loyal fans. I think I might make this one next, but of course all your patterns are great and I don’t know which to choose. Right now I am covering cushions for our chairs on the front porch. Have a few quilts to make before September,
    Loved the pictures from France. So glad you got to go, and so glad you shared them with us.
    Have a great weekend and Happy Sewing.

• Thanks, Sandra. It was so interesting seeing the different fabrics and styles in France – and I was blown away by the boutis work.

10. Donna Pestinger says:

Dear Rose,
    I loved the trip to Nantes. Thank you so much for always making such beautiful quilts.
    Sincerely, Donna

• Thanks, Donna. I just think that the internet is a wonderful medium for uniting quilters across the world – I love being able to share.

11. Love this quilt Rose,such a pretty block,and I loved your choice of colors.Thank you for sharing your travels in France,it sounds wonderful,and a great experience.Love Carole

• Thanks, Carole. It certainly was a lovely weekend – now I want to look out for other quilt shows abroad that I can visit!

12. veronica says:

I just purchased some purple fabric dark ,light, medium,can you recommend a contrasting color please .

• Hi Veronica. My personal preference to go with purple is yellow, green or white, but a lot does depend on your own personal choices.

13. Beautiful quilt. The pattern fools the eye. You see everything in the quilt i.e a star, square, a cube. You name it. Lucky you to get away for the weekend for a visit to Nantes. The quilts you showed were breathtakingly beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed watching.

14. markay vintageformeforever says:

Hi Rose looks like you had a wonderful time, love the VW Bug, the quilt pattern is a very pretty one, great colors. Bonnie Hinter did this same design she calls it Box Kites. Anyway hope you have a great week and happy sewing. Thanks for sharing your time with us.

15. markay vintageformeforever says:

Rose In the last comment I called Bonnie quilt the wrong name, instead of box kites, it is called Boxy Stars, and here is the pattern and two color ways that she did it in, have a great day Markay. http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/06/boxy-stars.html