Alpine Cross Quilt Pattern

Alpine Cross quilt

Alpine Cross quilt

For the Alpine Cross Quilt pattern I have used both the alpine cross quilt block and a simple 25 patch block.  I love the way that the grid forms and the white square in the middle of each diamond reminds me of a light blinking – or maybe I’m just being fanciful!

The quilt measures 49″ wide by 79″ long.  I have used eight alpine cross quilt blocks and seven of the 25 patch blocks – these are all 15″ finished size squares.  The fabric requirement is 3/4 yard of white and 1.3/4 yards each of both the blue and the turquoise.

As ever you can buy these fabrics at a 10% discount in this week’s special offer.  The difference this week is that I am holding a belated birthday discount fabric sale:  16% off everything across the shop for purchases over £5.  To make it simple, there’s no coupon code this time – you’ll just get the 16% discount taken off automatically with any purchases between now and next Thursday – which means a massive overall discount on the special offer!  Click on Fabric Sale.

Alpine cross quilt block

Alpine cross quilt block

Cutting requirements for the alpine cross quilt blocks

3.1/2″ squares:  sixty four turquoise, eight white

3.7/8″ squares:  sixteen each in turquoise and white, sixteen each in blue and white, thirty two each in blue and turquoise

For the quilt border you will need six 2.1/2″ strips of blue fabric cut across the width of fabric.

Fifteen patch quilt block

Fifteen patch quilt block

Cutting requirements for the 25 patch blocks

3.1/2″ squares:  seven white, eighty four each in blue and turquoise – but don’t cut these squares till you’ve read the full pattern as you can save some time with strip piecing

Making the alpine cross quilt block

Make half square triangle units with the 3.7/8″ squares in the colour pairings listed above.  Lay two squares with right sides together and mark a line along the diagonal.  Sew a 1/4″ square either side of the marked line and cut along the line.  This will give you two half square triangles which are now 3.1/2″ squares.

Alpine cross quilt block layout

Alpine cross quilt block layout

Lay the squares out in five rows of five.  There’s a white square in the middle.  The middle row and the middle column are both made using two turquoise squares, then one white square and then two more turquoise squares.

There’s a blue/white half square triangle on each corner of the central square and a blue/turquoise half square triangle either side of each corner.  The corner squares are turquoise/white half square triangles with the white placed outermost.

Sew the squares together across each row and then sew the rows to each other to complete the alpine cross quilt block.  You’ll need to make eight of these.

Strip piece some of the squares

Strip piece some of the squares

Making the 25 patch block

This is a nice easy block – five rows of five squares.  I’ve used some strip piecing to speed things up a little.  Sew together a 3.1/2″ strip each of turquoise and blue along the length.  Cut this panel at 3.1/2″ intervals to make strips which contain a square each of blue and turquoise and which are 3.1/2″ wide and 6.1/2″ long.  These can now be used within the block – basically you are saving time by sewing one long seam rather than lots of 3.1/2″ seams to join these squares.  You will also need some individual blue and turquoise squares.

Fifteen patch quilt block layout

Fifteen patch quilt block layout

Lay the squares out in five rows of five.  You’ll see that in the photo the square at the end of the fourth row is blue when it should be turquoise – luckily I noticed this before I sewed them together, but forgot to take another photo.

I’ve used two pairs of squares from the strip piecing with one individual square in each row, and basically I’ve alternated blue and turquoise across each row except for the middle row where I’ve put a single white square.

Sew the squares together across each row and then sew the rows to each other to complete the block.  You’ll need to make seven of these.

Rows 1, 3 and 5

Rows 1, 3 and 5

Assembling the alpine cross quilt

The blocks are sewn together in five rows of three blocks each.  Rows 1, 3 and 5 are all the same as each other:  an alpine cross quilt block at each end with a 25 patch block in the middle.

Rows 2 and 4

Rows 2 and 4

Rows 2 and 4 are the same as each other:  a 25 patch block at each end with an alpine cross quilt block in the middle.

Sew the blocks together across each row and then sew the rows to each other.

Quilt border

I’ve made a simple frame for this quilt with 2.1/2″ strips of blue fabric.  You’ll need two lengths of 45.1/2″ for the top and bottom of the quilt and two lengths of 79.1/2″ for the sides.

That completes the alpine cross quilt top.  It is now ready for layering, quilting and binding.  Full details of these steps can be found in the beginner quilting section.

Last week I promised some photos from my trip to Gibraltar and you can find them here.

Craftsy

Comments

1. Dear Rose – I just love this one (even with all the triangles) and the colours. Very clever of you. Marrying blues and turquoise together is such a clean and cheerful combination I always think. I might just have to splurge on this one. Think I’d better check on how much I’ve got to do first though. Thanks again.
    all best Janny

• Hi Janny. Like you, I love that colour combination. Time tends to be more limited at this time of year, doesn’t it – gardening and holidays and things.

2. Trish Tarbuck says:

Rose, I absolutely love this pattern, it’s very apt too my sisters and I are taking mum to Salzburg to do the Sound of Music thing in September.I have already made the costumes for a bit of a giggle but this pattern has really inspired me today but do it for me!! Trish

3. Dear Rose, I always enjoy seeing your new quilt patterns, but I especially like this one. Keep up your wonderful work. Your teaching makes learning alot easier. many happy returns of the day. pat v

• Thanks, Pat. I meant to have the birthday sale earlier in the month but my trip to Gibraltar rather got in the way!

4. Love this block! Definitely going on my bucket list!

• Thanks, Libda. It’s a Nancy Cabot block – been around for over a hundred years and I agree that it’s lovely.

5. CarolynMcAllister says:

Rose, this is lovely. For some reason it seems calming to me. Thank you so much for sharing your talents with us.
    Carolyn

• Hi Carolyn. I always think of blue and turquoise as sea colours and I agree – they are very relaxing colours.

6. Barbara Harper says:

Thank you Rose.
    As a newbie to patchwork and quilting, this is defined itely one I will have to save for later. I love the colours.
    Barbara

• Thanks, Barbara. It’s lovely fabric, isn’t it. The quilt should be possible for a beginner – just take it small steps at a time.

7. Simply Beautiful as always. I love your creativity.

8. Patricia Cash says:

Very pretty quilt colors and design. Thank you

9. Love this. those whites are like twinkling lights. Gorgeous

10. Sunny Bambridge says:

Hi Rose, lovely pattern, have finished all the christmas placemats and am now quilting a long unfinished qult. however after brwsing your fabrcs am inspired again s am taking advantage of the generous dscount and ordering sme f your lovely fabrcs. have agood weekend i am being treated by my daughter and grandaghters to an elton john cncert sunday, so looking forward to it. best regards, Sunny.

• Hi Sunny. I should follow your example and finish some quilts off. The sale lasts till the end of Thursday. Have a wonderful time at the Elton John concert – I am very envious!

11. Marilyn says:

Hi Rose I have no idea how you find the time to share with us , but I’m so glad you do. Thanks it’s another to do quilt. Marilyn

12. Hi Rose, You are calling the second block a 15 patch. It has 25 squares in each block, not 15. Am I missing something in the explanation?

• Thanks, Dee. No you’re not missing anything – other than the fact that I can’t count! Thanks for pointing it out – I’ll change it now.

13. Rose, your creativity is endless, as this beautiful quilt shows.
    I looked at your photos of Gibraltar and it’s easy to see you are artistic.
    As always thank you.

• Thanks, Mary. I don’t think that I’m very good at photography – I tend to point and click. It’s so lovely with digital cameras being able to take as many photos as you like without having to worry about the costs of developing and printing that we used to have.

O Rose,
    Another great quilt idea. Going to put it on my to do list. Love the colours also. Loved seeing your trip pictures. Almost makes me feel like I was there with you. Glad you had a good time. We were suppose to close on the 27th but it got postponed the buyers did not have all their paperwork done. How is your house selling coming along??
    Have a great weekend. I will be spending the weekend going through and organizing pictures. My father was into taking lots of pictures. Happy quilting.

• Hi Sandra. So sorry to hear that your house sale was delayed. I hope it happens soon for you. I still haven’t had an offer on my house, but I keep hoping.

15. Marilyn Larkin says:

Hello Rose, Thank-you for another great design so masterfully presented, the colour choices really do highlight the design which reminds me of the tiles at the bottom on a reflective pool. As for the gorgeous bottle brush flowers, I can proudly share with you that this plant is part of the callistemon plant family which is indiginous to Australia. Such a bright and cheery group of plants which our parrots love. Birthday greetings to you.

• Thanks, Marilyn. You’re right – I hadn’t thought of tiles in a pool. Thanks for the info on the bottle brush flowers – it was the first time that I had come across them and they were so striking! (For anyone else who’s wondering, there is a photo of this flower in the Gibraltar article).

Your quilt is lovely. I love the pattern and the color combinations. You never run out of ideas. You mentioned a while back that you were going to show us how to appliqué a quilt. I would love to try my hand at making a quilt with iron-on-appliqués. If I remember correctly, you made a Hawaiian quilt using appliqués. It was a real beauty.

• Hi Claire. You’re absolutely right – I have very little applique on the website and it’s high time that I did more. The Hawaiian quilt is all applique – always a chance to make a completely unique quilt.

17. Hi Rose,It does look like blinking lights, it”s a beautiful quilt. Thank you for sharing how to make it and the pictures from Gibraltar.

18. karin wijaya says:

Its a cute pattern Rose, I realy like it.
    I also watched your photo which were taken during your journey in Gibraltar.
    Wow its a fantastic holiday. I wish I could go there too someday.
    Best

• Thanks, Karin. It was my daughter’s choice to go there – somewhere we could get some sun without having to travel too far!

19. Cecilia Alcantar says:

This is a quilt pattern construction which I believe I can make. Consider that as a beginning quilter, you make it seem easy enough for me to tackle. Thanks so much. I also enjoyed seeing your vacation photos.You allow time in life to visit other places while building ideas for more quilts,that makes it more rich & rewarding. You can be sure, that I will try making this one. Wish me luck.
    Cecilia Alcantar

• Hi Cecilia. Definitely good luck wishes to you. I’m sure you’ll make a great quilt. I have a huge bucket list, so I’m planning on doing lots more travelling once I’ve moved house.