King Richard Quilt Pattern

King Richard quilt

King Richard quilt

The King Richard Quilt is named for King Richard III who has been in the news a lot this week.  For those of you who live outside the UK, he was King of England in the 15th Century and died in battle in 1485.  He was buried in an umnarked grave at the scene of the battle and his remains were found and identified under a car park in Leicester a few years ago.  Yesterday his remains were laid to rest in Leicester Cathedral with great pomp and ceremony.

So the quilt this week is dedicated to him and I have used the Kings Crown quilt block with the purple and gold that I tend to think of as regal colours.  The quilt measures 62″ square and I have used 1 yard each of gold, purple and green with 1.1/4 yards of white.  As usual, you can buy these fabrics at a 10% discount on this week’s special offer.

Cutting requirements for the King Richard quilt

9.7/8″ squares:  eight gold, eight green

6.7/8″ squares:  ten purple, ten green

3.7/8″ squares:  forty white, forty gold

3.1/2″ squares:  twenty white

For the sashing you will need twelve 2.1/2″ by 18.1/2″ rectangles with four 2.1/2″ purple squares for the cornerstones

For the border you will need 2.1/2″ strips of purple – two at 58.1/2″ long for the top and bottom of the quilt and two 62.1/2″ long for the sides.

Pinwheel quilt block layout

Pinwheel quilt block layout

Making the pinwheel quilt block

Make half square triangles with the 9.7/8″ squares.  Place a green and a gold square with right squares together and mark a line along the diagonal.  Sew a 1/4″ seam either side of the marked line and cut along the line.  This will give you two half square triangle units and you need four of them for each pinwheel block.  Sew the squares together in pairs, taking care with the placements so that they form that pinwheel shape.  Sew the pairs to each other to complete the pinwheel quilt block.  You will need to make four of these.

Kings crown quilt block layout

Kings crown quilt block layout

Making the Kings Crown quilt block

Make more (lots more!) half square triangles with the 6.7/8″ in purple and green and the 3.7/8″ squares in gold and white.

Lay the squares out in six rows of six.  The large half square triangles are all placed in the middle with the purple forming a diamond in the centre of the block.  There’s a white square in each corner and the small half square triangles are placed along each edge of the block.  Along each edge there are two gold triangles facing one way and two facing the other way, so that in the middle of the edge you get that larger white triangle pointing in towards the middle of the block.

Begin sewing the squares together in pairs

Begin sewing the squares together in pairs

Sew the squares together across the top and bottom rows.  For the middle of the block you will have to sew two small triangles together vertically first, to make them the same size as the large half square triangles.  Then you’ll be able to sew them together across the rows.

Sew the rows to each other to complete the kings crown quilt block.  You will need to make five of these for the King Richard quilt.

Sew sashing strips between the blocks

Sew sashing strips between the blocks

Assembling the King Richard quilt

Sew the blocks together in three rows of three.  Rows 1 and 3 are the same as each other – one kings crown block at each end with a pinwheel block in the middle.  Sew a sashing strip between each pair of blocks, so you will need two sashing strips for each row of three blocks.

Row 2 is the reverse, with a pinwheel block at each end and a kings crown block in the middle (and two sashing strips).  Sew the blocks together across each row.

Use purple squares as cornerstones

Use purple squares as cornerstones

In order to join the rows to each other, make up two sashing strips using three of the 18.1/2″ sashing strips with a 2.1/2″ purple square between them – so that’s two purple squares for each three sashing strips.  Sew one of these long sashing strips between rows 1 and 2, and another between rows 2 and 3.

For the border I have used 2.1/2″ strips of purple fabric.  You’ll need two lengths of 58.1/2″ for the top and bottom and two lengths of 62.1/2″ for the sides of the quilt.

That completes the King Richard quilt top.  It can now be layered, quilted and bound.  Full details of these steps can be found in the beginner quilting section.

I have a busy weekend ahead decorating the kitchen.  We have accepted an offer on my father’s house and so now I am getting my own house ready to put on the market.  I want to have the painting finished and out of the way before my daughter comes home for Easter.

Craftsy

Comments

1. Dear Rose – love the patter and love the colours but feel this is not for a bit of a beginner ie me. Do so wish I felt brave enough.

Good luck with the decorating and the house sale.. Hope all goes smoothly.

Love the name of the embroidery machine.

all best Janny

• Thanks, Janny. You could always build your confidence by making just one quilt block at a time. I often layer and bind single blocks and then fling them around the house (figuratively speaking!).

2. That’s a right royal quilt beautiful.

3. Rose, I keep getting two emails with each mailing. I don’t know how to stop one without stopping the other.

• Hi Dee. I’m so sorry – I don’t know why that’s happening. I have just checked and you only appear once on my list, so I don’t know why you’re getting two emails.

4. lee marshall says:

Love this quilt (along with so many others that you do). I am coming over to UK for 5 weeks touring holiday on Monday and so will miss my weekly newsletter and quilt block . Still ,I will have a great time catching up when I get back.
    Leex

• Thanks, Lee. I hope you have a wonderful holiday – the weather is lovely at the moment, so I hope it stays that way for you.

5. Debra Friendly (Canada) says:

Rose – The reburial of Richard III received quite a bit of coverage in Canada (at least on CBC, our BBC equivalent) when his bones were found, when they were positively identified (using the DNA of a Canadian) and reburied. The casket was designed and built by the same Canadian relative who is a carpenter by trade.

A suggestion – many of your quilts are square but I’m sure others besides me might like to make them into a rectangle (lap, twin, double, queen or king) so would it be possible to give yardage for different sizes of quilts? From the diagram at the top, it looks like you are using a quilting programme (like EQ7) so I think it would be relatively quick to punch in the larger sizes. This quilt in particular would enlarge quite well, I think.

Thanks, as always, for your weekly tutorial!

• Thanks, Debra – I was a bit afraid that nobody outside the UK would have heard about King Richard. I take your point about making rectangular quilts, but I feel that in a lot of quilts you would achieve this by adding extra rows of blocks. Asking EQ7 to make the quilt bigger in any other way would result in elongated blocks which would be much more difficult to make. I’ll try and make some rectangular quilts.

• Beth Durham says:

Rose – I love this quilt (would be lovely in ‘red, white, and blue) lol and of course we in the USA know who King Richard was. I personally am a big reader of historical English books. I was really excited and followed the news on his discovery and reburial. Thanks for your quilt patterns and videos.
        Beth

6. Alma Croix says:

love the colors and the pattern. very pretty quilt!

7. Margaret W Fairgrieve says:

Rose yet again you have me on my toes lol I just love this quilt.

Will have to wait as I’m helping out a friend
    One of the chaps that comes to our stained glass club!s wife passed away a short time ago and she was Quilter and had three unfinished Quilts in her stash of fabric so my friend and I are doing our very best to complete these so her husband can give them to his family as gifts etc
    Plus all her fabric has been sold off with the proceeds going to charity
    I will do my best to keep up with you lovely emails cheers Margaret (bonnie Scotland )

• Hi Margaret. That sounds like quite a challenging task, finishing someone else’s quilts. It’s a great idea and I’m sure it will be a great help to her family. Good luck.

8. Kathy W. says:

I love this quilt. I like the colors in it. Good job!

9. Margaret Jowett says:

Hello Rose

This is a wonderful looking quilt and well done for thinking of dedicating it to King Richard III. I would love to be brave enough to tackle and may have a go a creating one block and see how I get on. Perhaps you could state each time you send out a newsletter whether the quilt is easy, intermediate or advanced. Just a thought.

• Hi Margaret. That’s a great idea to try just one block. I could try and say how easy the quilt patterns are, but I would classify one that has only squares and half square triangles as easy, so I would have classified this one as easy. To me, they become more difficult when you use different shapes or different techniques. Do let me know if you still think it’s difficult when you’ve made one block.

10. Rose, like Janny I thought “not for me” too hard.
    But as usual with your excellent tutorial it is a quilt that would be
    good for practicing triangles.
    Good Luck with the house sale.

• Hi Mary. There are a lot of half square triangles, but they are not difficult. The actual construction of each block is straightforward. As you say, good for practice.

11. Jo Williams says:

Love this quilt pattern, it is bright. I would say it is easy.
    Good luck on selling your two houses. Will you be leaving or are you downsizing in the area?

• Thanks, Jo. I’m thinking of moving to Birmingham. It’s more central for getting just about anywhere – I love Ludlow but it takes a long time to get anywhere else.

12. This quilt is absolutely gorgeous! <3 I am 63 and living in the U.S. Although I've sewed for most of my adult life, I've never made even one quilt block, that is until two weeks ago when I took my first quilting class. Interestingly enough, in that class we learned to make half square blocks, which I found fun to make! I had to experience a bit of a learning curve in making them, but I enjoyed it overall. When I saw your creation and that it was nearly all half square blocks, I knew I could do this! I haven't started yet (my next set of quilting classes will start April 3rd), but I have definitely saved your tutorial for future quilting ventures. Thanks so much for sharing and for giving your excellent step-by-step instructions, both written and in your video. 😀

• Thanks, Rene. I am delighted to hear that your class showed you half square triangles so early. There are so many more quilt blocks that you can make if you have no fear of triangles. Take care – you will soon be as hooked on quilting as the rest of us!

13. Dedicating your quilt to King Richard meant a lot to me. I am originally from Leicester, I hope I didn’t park over him when I used that car park !

Last Sunday’s parade was front page in our paper here in Florida, just a shot of Sophie arriving at the cathedral yesterday in today’s news though.

• Hi Judy. Isn’t it funny – I didn’t realise that King Richard would have made the news around the world. I’m delighted that he’s been considered so newsworthy.

14. I love this quilt, Rose, especially as it’s all squares and half-square triangles! The colours are beautiful too.
    Have a lovely weekend in your kitchen. I had to empty all my cupboards when I had my kitchen refurbished last year and it proved quite a shock to the system! Lots of ‘stuff’ got dumped!!

• Thanks, Carole. I find that it’s the tops of the kitchen wall cupboards that are providing the shocks to me – who would have thought that there would be so many spider webs up there. It’s also quite difficult painting that small bit of wall above the cupboards.

I like the quilt, Rose. You chose the perfect name and perfect colors to honor the king’s memory.
    King Richard’s remains found under a parking lot were viewed all over the USA on all the prime time TV stations. What was impossible to believe was how they found the (carpenter) distant relative through a DNA search.
    Good luck on the sale of your house. I don’t envy all the packing and unpacking that you’re going to have to do. It’s all too stressful.

• Thanks, Claire. It’s wonderful how much more we can do nowadays because of science and computers – matching DNA like that would not have been possible in the past. I am finding that I have to do a lot of sorting out before I can paint a room – that’ll teach me not to be so untidy in the future!

Oh Rose
    Another great quilt, and I am ready I finished my extra extra large quilt and it is ready to put on the bed. I think it came out quite good (I’m praising myself for at least finishing it). Don’t think I’ll be making another big one for awhile. Good luck with your painting and selling of the houses. Will you still be sending your Friday tutorials? I look forward to seeing your talent every week.
    Have a great weekend.

• Thanks, Sandra. Well done – isn’t it satisfying to finish a project that you’ve been working on for a long time. Oh yes, the website will carry on as normal – I’ll just be working from somewhere different.

17. Hi Rose. Greetings from the American Southwest–Tucson, Arizona, to be exact. I often make tot bags with a quilt block on the front. I think the Kings Crown block would really look beautiful on one of my tote bags!

18. Here too in Australia we saw on the news the burial of Richard III. I thought was lovely very dignified, and given the respect he deserved. Thank you Rose for your dedication to him by way of the quilt you have designed. The chosen colours are so appropriate, very regal. I too, used to live in Leicester.

• Hi Margaret. It seems that King Richard’s reburial made news all round the world. I’ve never been to Leicester, but think I will go in a few weeks when the publicity has died down.

19. Barbara O'Neill says:

Thank you Rose for the info on King Richard III re internment yesterday! There wasn’t anything mentioned on our US news channels, very disappointing!
    Love the quilt you made in his honor, very regal as befitting a king.
    I did get to read about the ceremony online.It must have been very exciting in your neck of the woods this past week! Barbara O’Neill Massachusetts, USA

• Hi Barbara. I always think that we Brits are very good at the pomp and ceremony thing. It has certainly been a great story.

20. Love this one, it’s beautiful and makes me think of: Long Live the King, King Richard would be so proud. Thank you for this tutorial and pattern, I think I will give it a whirl when my hip gets better! This AGE thing is catching up with me. :/

• Thanks, Clara. My mother used to say that her mind was still 30 years old but her body didn’t agree – and now I know exactly what she meant! Hope your hip gets better soon.

21. Definitely going to give this one a go, just love the colours, you certainly have a busy time ahead, don’t know how you manage…….I’m exhausted just reading your email!

• Hi Irene. I have to admit that decorating is not my favourite pastime – I’m also exhausted! Still, I have to say it is satisfying to complete a room and have it looking so clean and fresh.

Thank you for the lovely quilt. You dedicated it to my favourite King – I still think he is much maligned. I am definately making it.
    Regards
    Jen Hunter-Beckinsall

23. Nicola Merrifield says:

Thanks Rose, I received my parcel for this one this morning, excellent service. Colours are gorgeous, the green a vibrant emerald not as shown. My husband is going to down size it for me to make about 42″ square for a throw over our 2 seater settee.