Florence Floor Tile Quilt Two

Florence floor tile quilt two

Florence floor tile quilt two

This Florence floor tile quilt two is another design based on my visit to Florence earlier this year.  I have simplified the design by using a triangle instead of a rectangle – and that’s not something that I ever thought that I would say!

I haven’t prepared a quilt kit this week because instead I am holding a spring sale across the whole shop.  Use coupon code spring (all lower case) to give yourself a huge discount of 16%.  This sale will run for a week – until the end of next Thursday, 26th April.  Click here to view the shop.

The original tile design

The original tile design

The original tile design is fairly random, but I’ve added a bit of order to it in the placement of the colours.  As you can see, there’s a rectangle along each edge of the central square in some of the tiles, but I felt that it was more simple to make the block if I used a triangle instead.

The quilt measures 49″ square and I have used 3/4 yard each of the blue and pink, 1/4 yard of white and 1 yard of the black fabric.  I have deliberately used pastel shades of pink and blue to give a stronger contrast with the black and white surrounding them.

Cutting requirements for the Florence floor tile quilt two

Blue:  eight 9.1/2″ squares, six 6.7/8″ squares

Pink:  four 9.1/2″ squares, seven 6.7/8″ squares

White:  twenty six 2.7/8″ squares

Black:  fifty two rectangles 1.7/8″ by 2.7/8″, fifty two rectangles 1.7/8″ by 5.5/8″ for the blocks, two 2.1/2″ strips 45.1/2″ long and two 2.1/2″ strips 49.1/2″ long for the border.

Make a square in square block

Make a square in square block

Cut along one diagonal

Cut along one diagonal

Making the Florence floor tile quilt two blocks

The first requirement for the first quilt block is to make a square in a square block using the black and white fabrics.  Sew the two small black rectangles to the top and bottom of the white square, press and then sew the two long rectangles to the sides.

These squares will now be 5.5/8″ square.  Cut along one diagonal to make two triangles.

Layout for the first quilt block

Layout for the first quilt block

Sew the triangles to the top and bottom first

Sew the triangles to the top and bottom first

Now you can see why I felt that triangles were more simple than rectangles – well I hope that you agree with me anyway!

Place one triangle on each edge of a 6.7/8″ pink or blue square.  Sew the triangles to the top and bottom first, press and then sew the remaining two triangles to the sides.

You’ll notice that the edge of the triangle is longer than the edge of the square – this is deliberate so that there is enough fabric beyond the corners of the pink square to keep the corners showing when the blocks are sewn together.  You can mark the middles of the triangle edge and the pink square edge to match them up, or make sure that you have the same length of triangle sticking out at each end.

That completes the first block of the Florence floor tile quilt two.  You’ll be relieved to hear that the second one is simply a 9.1/2″ square of either blue or pink.

Rows 1 and 5

Rows 1 and 5

Rows 2 and 4

Rows 2 and 4

Assembling the Florence floor tile quilt two

The blocks are laid out in five rows of five.  Rows one and five are the same as each other: three pink diamond blocks alternating with two blue squares.

Rows two and four are also the same as each other:  a pink square in the middle with a blue diamond on either side and then a blue square at each end.

Row 3

Row 3

Row three, the middle row has a pink diamond in the middle with a pink square on either side and then a blue diamond at each end.

For the border I have used 2.1/2″ strips of black fabric.  I felt that it made the quilt look as though the tiles were floating on a black background.  You will need two lengths of 45.1/2″ for the top and bottom of the quilt and two lengths of 49.1/2″ for the sides.

That completes the top of the Florence floor tile quilt two.  It is now ready for layering, quilting and sewing.  Full details of these can be found in the beginner quilting section.

We are expecting a total eclipse of the sun this morning (that reminds me of the song from my youth.  I wish I could remember who it was by!).  It is fairly cloudy here in Ludlow as I write this, so I’m not sure whether we will see it or not.

Thank you so much to all of you who sent in such clever ideas for names for my new embroidery machine.  You really are very inventive!  I have decided to go with the name Matilda – I can’t tell you why except to say that the name just caught my fancy.

New 125x125 banner-5

Comments

1. You are sewwww cool!

2. Bonnie Tyler ‘Total Eclipse of the Heart’. Lesser known but she also made ‘Simply The Best’ before Tina Turner covered it.

• Thanks, Avril. I was humming it to myself as Total eclipse of the sun, but now I realise that it was Bonnie Tyler’s song that I was thinking of. I hadn’t realised that she’d released Simply the best – I only knew it as Tina Turner’s song.

3. I wish I could keep up but have another challenge to add to my “To Do” list thanks to you. ❤️

4. Christine says:

Always look forward to your Friday message & love this quilt. Thank you Rose. Hope you were able to see the eclipse & have a lovely weekend.

• Thanks Christine. Yes, we ended up with completely clear skies at the time of the eclipse – what beautiful timing!

5. Kathleen says:

I am amazed how you are able to work these floor patterns out and turn them into such beautiful quilts. I have saved both of them. Will there be more?

• Thanks, Kathleen. I’ve still got some more ideas based on the floor tiles in Florence. I’m just spreading them out a bit so that you don’t all get bored with them!

6. Monica Powell says:

Thank you so much for this pattern Rose – really looks lovely! Good luck with your new machine – I am a fan of machine embroidery and just love combining quilting and embroidery. Have a great week and many thanks again.

• Thanks, Monica. I have a lot to learn, but I’m looking forward to finding out all the things that Matilda can produce for me.

7. Hi Rose, First time commenter long time enjoying Ludlow quilt and sew. You mentioned your sale is going on for a week, til 4/26. Don’t you mean 3/26? Cheryl

8. Thi is a lovely design – especially as it’s the exact representation of the floor you saw

9. Pat Green says:

I always enjoy Rose’s videos. They are always so well organized & easy to follow. Thanks so much for them.

10. Meredith says:

Love how you get the triangles for block one. Must try to get some of my cathedral-floor-tile ideas into fabric someday, too. (Is the song ‘You’re so vain’ by Carly Simon, where she talks about going to see the total eclipse of the sun in Nova Scotia?)

• You star, Meredith – that’s the song that I was thinking of – thanks so much. There was a time when I could remember the names of songs ….

11. What ceases to amaze me, Rose is how you configure the cutting requirements of the quilt blocks. Your quilt is beautiful and you can certainly pat yourself on the back for coming up with another winner.
    Looking forward to next Friday to see what you embroidered. I especially liked to appliqué.

• Hi Claire. I often start with the middle of the block and then it’s pot luck what size the finished block is, but this time I began with the finished size of block that I wanted and then worked back. I had to check my measurements a couple of times!

12. Rose, Another “WINNER”. Thank you!

13. Hi Rose
    Could you please tell me if I have to wash my fabric before sewing, never attempted making a quilt before.
    Louise

• Hi Louise. There’s no definitive answer, I’m afraid. I personally do not pre wash but many quilters always pre wash. I feel that modern fabrics don’t tend to shrink and I find new fabric more easy to work with before washing. I always wash a quilt when I’ve finished it, because it’s had so much handling during the making.

14. Judith Lennon says:

I have watched with interest the quilt designs you have forwarded to me week by week. This weeks really caught my eye and I think I may incorporate the pink square into something I have on the go!! Lovely design.

• Thanks, Judith. I’m pleased that you can use part of the design – that’s the beauty of quilting, isn’t it: you can take elements from lots of different places.

15. Rose I so excited when I saw that we were to get another florance floor tile quilt! I have truly enjoyed every single one of them they just keep getting better and better.

16. Beverly Allen.....in the middle of the Mojave Desert, California says:

Hi Rose ! I look forward to your quilts and enjoyable piecing instructions; your adventures and all your hints and techniques………you are so well-spoken and knowledgeable about your reasoning on quilting details, too ! Thank you for doing all these things for us and have a great weekend with “Matilda” !

• Thanks for your kind comments, Beverly. I didn’t know that anyone lived in the middle of the Mojave Desert – do tell us more.

17. Linda Simmons says:

What a wonderful rendition of the floor tile. I visited Florence once and so want to go back.
    Thank you for a lovely pattern that serves as a fond memory of my visit to that beautiful city.

• Hi Linda. I had wanted to go to Florence for such a long time that it was like a dream come true when I finally made it there.

18. Another lovely quilt Rose – would love to make this one but really must finish ufo’s first! I took lots of photos like yours in Spain!

• Hi Dianne. I was so relieved that they had no restrictions on taking photos in Florence. So many places that I’ve been to in the UK don’t allow any photos to be taken.

19. This is a really neat idea! I love the way yours looks. I’m thinking maybe I can use some of these Charm packs I’ve been collecting. Thanks for another great tutorial!

20. Linda Beyea says:

Beautiful , great job as always .

Another great quilt. Always look forward to Friday, you have such great ideas. love how you look at a picture and are able to make the calculations. You make it very easy. It is on my to do list. Too many ideas not enough time. I like the name Matilda. Have fun with her this weekend.
    Could not see the eclipse we had snow and clouds all day in PA. Did see it on Facebook from the BBC.
    Have a great weekend.

• Thanks, Sandra. I don’t think that our eclipse was as striking as many of the images on TV, but it was still striking. You can understand why primitive people were frightened of them.

22. Cecilia Alcantar says:

Hi Rose, seeing you work as you do through your imagination is a story in itself. The story of your travels quilted into gorgeous and often complex looking designs always give back beauty. Gosh you’re one in a million, just keep on keeping on now that you have Matilda.
    Cecilia Alcantar

• Thank you, Cecilia – you have a wonderful way with words. I just love being able to share with so many quilters all over the world: it’s a real privilege.

23. Debra Friendly (Canada) says:

Rose – I’m again not able to get “print friendly” version to work. I used to be able to and I’m wondering if it is a setting on my computer. Have you been able to determine if there is anything at your end?

This Florence based quilt is lovely (except that I am averse to pastel pink so will substitute some other colour).

• Hi Debra. I can’t see anything wrong at this end and nobody else has said that they have a problem. Can anybody reading this offer any suggestions?