Globetrotter Quilt Pattern

Globetrotter quilt pattern

Globetrotter quilt pattern

The globetrotter quilt pattern is another of the Fabric Freedom patterns.  It is a delightful pattern which isn’t difficult to make and the fabrics are lovely – they can really help you to dream of summer holidays.  The quilt measures 35″ by 44″ and I have used 1/2 yard of the luggage and blender fabrics, 3/4 yards of the Bon Voyage and Arrows fabrics with just 1/4 yard of the labels fabric.  As usual you can buy these fabrics at a 10% discount in this week’s special offer.  Please note that there may be a delay in posting any orders as I’m away for a long weekend.

I know that it doesn’t show up too well in the photos, but there is a star formed in the middle of each set of four blocks, around the white square.

Cutting requirements

Luggage fabric:  twenty 4.1/2″ squares

Bon voyage fabric:  thirty one 3.1/2″ squares, sixty two 2.3/8″ squares

Arrows fabric:  forty 1.1/2″ by 4.1/2″ rectangles, forty 1.1/2″ by 6.1/2″ rectangles,

Blender fabric:  sixty two 2.3/9″ squares. For the border you will also need two strips 1.1/2″ by 33.1/2″ and two strips 1.1/2″ by 44.1/2″

Labels fabric:  twelve 3.1/2″ squares

Globetrotter quilt block one

Globetrotter quilt block one

Making the first globetrotter quilt block

There are two quilt blocks needed for the globetrotter quilt pattern.  The first one is a simple square in a square.  Take a 4.1/2″ square of luggage fabric and sew a 4.1/2″ arrows rectangle to the top and bottom.  Press and then sew a 6.1/2″ rectangle to each side.

You will need twenty of these quilt blocks.

Make half square triangles

Make half square triangles

Making the second globetrotter quilt block

For the second block you will need half square triangles which are a little smaller than I usually use, but are made in just the same way.  Place two 2.3/8″ squares with right sides together and mark a line along the diagonal.  Cut along the line to produce two half square triangles which are now 2″ squares.

Sew the half square triangles in pairs

Sew the half square triangles in pairs

Sew the half square triangles to a square

Sew the half square triangles to a square

Sew the half square triangles together in pairs, making sure that the two bon voyage (darker)  triangles are next to each other, creating a larger triangle.

Sew one pair of half square triangles to opposite ends of a 3.1/2″ bon voyage square.

You will need to make thirty one of these blocks.

Two different rows of blocks

Two different rows of blocks

Assembling the globetrotter quilt

The globetrotter quilt is made using two different rows of blocks alternating down the quilt.  The first row is made using the first quilt block alternating with the second quilt block placed vertically so that the triangles point up and down.  For each row you will need four of the first quilt block with three of the second block, so that the row begins and ends with the first quilt block.  Make five of these rows.

The second row is made using the second quilt block placed horizontally so that the triangles point to the sides, alternating with the 3.1/2″ labels squares.  For each row you will need four of the second quilt block and three of the squares so that the row begins and ends with the second quilt block.  Make four of these rows.

Add the globetrotter quilt border

Add the globetrotter quilt border

Arrange the rows of quilt blocks to alternate, beginning and ending with the first row.  For the border, sew the two 33.1/2″ strips to the top and bottom and then sew the two 44.1/2″ strips to the sides.

The globetrotter quilt top is now complete and ready for layering, quilting and sewing.  You can find full details of these steps in the beginner quilting section.

Tomorrow I am off to Italy for a long weekend in Florence.  It’s somewhere that I have always wanted to visit and I can’t tell you how excited I am to be going there at last.  As well as having a break, I’m also hoping to pick up some quilt inspiration while I’m there.

Comments

1. Carol Smith says:

Hi Rose, another great quilt. You will love Florence I know I did, pat the pig for me! Keep up the good work your ideas and colour ways are an inspiration. Thanks again. Love Carol

• Hi Carol. Pig? What pig and where? Do tell me so that I don’t miss it!

• Marilyn Larkin says:

Dear Rose, You won’t get this until you are returned from that wonderful city of Fiorenze. I hope it was just wonderful, The mosaics are amazing but so are the windows. Isn’t it wonderful that we don’t have to keep replacing the film in our cameras anymore? You can click to your hearts content. Enjoy the food, the coffee, the sights, the smells and the well deserved break away. Oh and bye the way, I love the Bon Voyage quilt top too.
        Cheers Marilyn.

• Thanks, Marilyn – I’m just leaving for the airport now. Yes, I tend to keep snapping until my battery runs out – wonderful not to have to worry about running out of film.

2. Jean Britt says:

I am sure you will enjoy it. I have been twice and it is one of my favourite cities.

• Thanks, Jean. I’ve wanted to go there for a long time so I am really excited that I have finally got the opportunity.

3. Have a lovely stay in Florence. It’s such a beautiful city. Don’t forget to have a coffee at Cafe Florian in St Mark’s Square.

• Thanks for the name, Carole. I’ve written it down. I bought a second hand book on walks to do in Florence and it conveniently had a map of the city centre in it.

4. Debra Friendly (Canada) says:

Rose – For quilting inspiration, I’m sure there will be lots of patterns in the floors of the churches and museums. When we visited Versailles in 2013, I took photos of the floors and still have them in the ‘to do’ pile to design a pattern.

• Hi Debra. That’s exactly what I tend to do – you can often see such lovely designs in the floor tiles. I’m just hoping that I’ll be able to take photos of them. A lot of places forbid taking photos indoors.

5. Gail Thompson says:

I hope you have a wonderful time Rose. You’ve certainly earned it. Since I’ll never get there let us know how the trip was and all the wonderful sights you’ve seen.
    Hugs from Washington state. usa.

• Hi Gail. I certainly will. I’m taking both my normal camera and my video camera – just hope the sun shines for me!

6. Oh lucky you, have a lovely break really look forward to your posting on a Friday.

7. Gail thompson says:

Rose, for a lot of us on here you are the sunshine!

8. A lovely quilt! Enjoy your break in Florence

• Thanks, Lesley. I hope that it’s at least a little bit warmer than Ludlow! Although it will be more of an indoor holiday than outdoor, so I suppose it doesn’t matter.

9. Margaret Wilson Fairgrieve says:

Oh have a fab time and yes lots of pictures please as I will never get there as hubby can’t fly due to his health. Have a wonderful time
    You give us all such wonderful help and great ideas cheers Margaret

• Thanks, Margaret. I’m flying via Paris, so it’ll be a lot of ups and downs. There doesn’t appear to be a direct flight. I’ve packed my camera already, so that I couldn’t forget it.

10. Have a great time! I’m off with hubby and baby at Easter to Italy. Wedding in Lucca then day trips to Pisa, Florence and, of course, the beach!!! Have a fabulous time away x

• Thanks, Laura. Hope you have a wonderful time at Easter. You’ll see more of Italy than I will – but I’m hoping to go to Rome later in the year.

11. Hi Rose, Love this pattern. Thank you!
    Rose all of Florence is an art gallery.
    It’s great that your having such a lovely break after the
    trauma of the past few months. ENJOY!

• Hi Mary. No, your comment didn’t disappear – I just hadn’t had time to approve it. That’s part of the reason for my trip – my reward to myself for what, as you so rightly say, has been a fairly traumatic period. I’ve more or less finished sorting things out now, so it’s a psychological milestone.

12. Mary (Cape Town) says:

Have a lovely trip, Rose. Looking forward to quilt patterns based on mosaic designs after this!

• Thanks, Mary. I shall be walking round with my head down looking at the floor tiles while everyone else looks at the walls and ceilings!

13. Patricia Tarbuck says:

Enjoy Florence Rose, that is the next point on my bucket list, apparently it is very, very close to Pisa so you could do two birds with one stone.Just returned today from a city break in Barcelona, had the most wonderful time and the euro exchange rate is brilliant for us, enjoy.

• Thanks, Trish. Yes, one of the options I was offered was a day trip to Pisa, but I don’t think that I’ll be there long enough for that. Have to plan another trip! Barcelona sounds lovely – I was there a few years back, but it was just a very short visit, on my way back from seeing my brother in Teruel.

14. safe journey and have a great time look forward to hear how it went when you get back take care

• Thanks, Ella. I’ll try and take lots of photos. Yes, I do know flying kites – I’ll try and do the pattern for you when I get back.

• Hi Rose , Praying you have a safe trip and a blessed time on your vacation, looking forward to new inspirations when your back. I will be going to ski jump competitions this weekend for our 24 th anniversary, not partaking but watching.

• Thanks, Lois, and congratulations on your anniversary. I hope you have a wonderful time at the ski jump competition. Sounds like great fun.

15. Just a last quick thought 🙂 If you aren’t able to take pics, perhaps have a notebook and pencil to draw what you’re seeing for your quilt inspirations

16. Hi Rose, I love this quilt as it does make you look forward to the Summer and going on holiday.
    My partner who is Italian and I have been to Florence a few times. It’s fabulous and I know you’ll love it.
    Just to tell you about the pig. It is called Il Porcellino ( piglet) by the locals but is infact a bronze fountain of a boar. It’s a beautiful statue which is definately worth a visit because when you place a coin inside its jaws, the coin will fall through the grating underneath which ensures good luck. Make sure you rub its snout as that means you will return to Florence another time and you will want to return as it’s such a beautiful city! You’ll find Il Porcellino in the Piazza del Mercato Nuovo.
    Have a wonderful time. We’ll all look forward to seeing the photos.

• Thanks, Caroline. Now I know what to look out for. Prague has something similar on one of the bridges – if you rub a particular statue you will return to Prague. I’ll make sure to rub the pig’s snout.

Another great quilt Love the colours. and very appropriate for you. Hope you enjoy your long weekend. You deserve it. You work very hard to bring us great ideas. Never have been to Florence, but have been to Genoa and Naples. Wasn’t into quilting then so did not look at designs on floors, would think and look differently now.
    Have a nice safe trip. take plenty of pictures. Hope you have great weather.

18. I like your quilt. I’ve never seen another like it.
    On a 35 day -11 country bus tour of Europe in 1956. It’s a trip I will never forget. The sightseeing and overnight stops in Italy were in Rome, Venice, and Florence. Assisi and Pisa were pass throughs and all I remember seeing from a distance was the Leaning Tower.
    Enjoy.

• Hi Claire. That sounds like an exhausting tour, but it must have been a wonderful experience. I have both Rome and Venice on my bucket list.

19. Yvonne Clayton says:

Hi Rose, love the quilt, thank you so much. I do hope you have a lovely time in Florence. Enjoy.

20. This is great – Thank You For Sharing – I am not a ‘Traditional’ quilter but you inspire me. Thank You – Please Give My Love To Shropshire 🙂