Lucky Clover Quilt Pattern

Lucky clover quilt

Lucky clover quilt

This quilt pattern is loosely based on the Lucky Clover quilt block, but I’ve taken some liberties with the colour placements.  I have made the quilt using four blocks and I’m rather pleased with all the secondary designs that seem to appear when I look at it.  I’ve also used brown for the border so that it will blend with the brown in the edge of the quilt blocks – I think it looks as though the rest of the design is floating in brown.

The quilt measures 46″ square and I have used 1/2 yard each of five different fabrics.  Together with white, I have used two pairings of colours – purple and green for one pair and blue and brown for the other pair.  As usual you can buy these fabrics at a 10% discount on this week’s special offer.

Cutting requirements for the lucky clover quilt

3.1/2″ squares:  forty eight white, sixteen each of blue, purple, green and brown

3.7/8″ squares:  eight each in blue and purple, eight each in green and brown

For the border you will need eight 2.1/2″ strips of brown fabric and four 1.1/2″ strips of green fabric

Make half square triangles

Make half square triangles

Making the lucky clover quilt block

Use the 3.7/8″ squares to make half square triangle units in the colour pairs listed above.  Place two squares with right sides together and mark a line along the diagonal.  Sew a 1/4″ seam either side of the marked line and cut along the line.  This will give you two half square triangle units which are 3.1/2″ squares.

Lucky clover quilt block layout

Lucky clover quilt block layout

Lay the squares out in six rows of six.  The white squares are placed along the two diagonals.  Around the central square there is a purple and a green shape made with a square and a half square triangle – one on each edge.  Along each edge of the block there is a similar blue and brown shape, again made using one square and one half square triangle.

Sew the squares across the rows

Sew the squares across the rows

Sew the squares together across each row and then sew the rows to each other to complete the lucky clover quilt block.  Make four of these.  Sew them together in two rows of two.

First two quilt borders

First two quilt borders

Adding the lucky clover quilt border

I’ve used three borders.  The first one is made using 2.1/2″ strips of brown fabric.  You’ll need two lengths of 36.1/2″ for the top and bottom and two lengths of 40.1/2″ for the sides.

For the second border I have used 1.1/2″ strips of green fabric.  You’ll need two lengths of 40.1/2″ for the top and bottom and two lengths of 42.1/2″ for the sides of the quilt.

Add the third quilt border

Add the third quilt border

Finally the third border is made using the same 2.1/2″ strips of brown fabric.  You’ll need two lengths of 42.1/2″ for the top and bottom and two lengths of 46.1/2″ for the sides.  That completes the lucky clover quilt top.  It is now ready for layering, quilting and binding and you can find full details of these steps towards the bottom of the beginner quilting page.

I’m off to Birmingham now to take a friend for a cataract operation and then tomorrow I’m driving down to London for my future daughter in law’s bridal shower – something I am really looking forward to.

Imagekind - Fine Art and Photography for Every Wall

Comments

1. Dear Rose – thank you. Now I will really have to have a go at this one. Thanks again.

all best Janny.

2. This is a great one! Thanks so much for this lucky pattern. Hope you have a fantastic weekend.

3. Beautiful pattern Rose, this will make an eye catching quilt

4. Carol Smith says:

Love this looks fairly easy, this will defo go in my file for one for the future. How do you think them up and more importantly have the time!

5. Thank you Rose, will be starting this one this weekend!

6. Rose I love the green fabric in this quilt. Will definitely be trying this block.

• Hi Martha. I always have trouble taking good photos of green fabric, but this time it’s come out fairly true to colour. It’s a lovely emerald colour.

7. Patricia Tarbuck says:

Hi Rose, this is a lovely quilt, very striking.Enjoy the bridal shower this weekend.Trish

8. nice pattern Rose. congratulations on gaining more in the family. you are not losing a son , you are gaining a daughter, right? all the best in 2015.

9. Carol Tambourine says:

This is lovely. Have a lovely time in London.

10. Margaret Wilson Fairgrieve says:

Rose this is one that I will just have to try many thanks for all your hard work over thus past year to bring so many wonderful things for us all to try
    Cheers Margaret

11. Your quilt is lovely. I especially like the way you framed it. You have given me an idea on how to finish my quilt. I’m slowly getting there.

12. Lovely idea. I really like it when different patterns appear as you look at the quilt.
    I wish you and your family lots of joy and happiness for the marriage of your son. If the new family brings joy to the parents – it means they are doing well!
    Best wishes
    Fay

• Thanks, Fay. That’s a lovely thought – the wedding isn’t till August, but we’re having the bridal shower now for family reasons.

13. Lovely pattern Rose

14. Very pleasing to the eye both in design and colours.

15. Ann Hixon says:

I love to see what is being done in different countries in respect to quilts etc

16. Thank you Rose – yet another beautiful design – love the purple and green!
    Safe journey and look forward to being enlightened about a ‘Bridal Shower’. Sue

Another great pattern still working on one of your other patterns. Decided to try and make it queen size for our bed. May have taken too giant of a leap but I guess I will learn as I go Will let you know how I make out. Can’t quilt this weekend or for a while almost took the top of my middle finger off at the tip with my rotary cutter. Finger was too close to the end of the ruler Some quilting can be dangerous to you health.
    Have a great weekend and enjoy the shower. You will have fun. Hope the weather is going to be fine.
    All the best and thank you for all your hard work and patterns.

• Hi Sandra. So sorry to hear about your finger – that sounds really painful. Accidents happen so quickly, don’t they, but rotary cutters are really very dangerous items. Good luck with the queen size quilt.

18. Denise Johnson says:

Thank you Rose, I am new to patchworking but am going to give this a go as it doesn’t look too difficult & I really like the end result.

19. Bonnie Fonoimoana says:

It just dawned on me that I look forward to your quilt pattern(s) each week and print out many of them to put in the lineup, but I never thank you for sharing your talent with us. Your instructions are always so clear and I am sure you spend a lot of time taking the pictures, writing out the instructions and filming the tutorials. So a Big THANK YOU for all you do for all of us.
    Bonnie in California USA

20. Love the color combinations,they work so well together. Have a wonderful time at the bridal shower***** Marge

Once again you’ve made a difficult pattern look very doable for novice quilters.
    Thank you for taken the time to do excellent tutorials.
    Enjoy your week-end and bridal shower.