Butterfly Medallion Quilt

Butterfly medallion quilt

Butterfly medallion quilt

The butterfly medallion quilt is a great way to show off a range of fabrics.  In this case I have used the complete range of Butterfly Meadow from Fabric Freedom and this is their pattern for that range.  It measures 40″ by 46″ and I have used 3/4 yard each of the central floral fabric and the small print and white for the flying geese, with 1/2 yard each of the other three fabrics.  You can buy these fabrics at 10% discount in this week’s special offer.

Cutting requirements for the butterfly medallion quilt

Central panel:  18.1/2″ by 24.1/2″

First frame:  two strips 2.1/2″ by 24.1/2″, two strips 2.1/2″ by 22.1/2″

Second frame:  fifty eight floral rectangles 4.7/8″ by 2.7/8″, one hundred and sixteen 2.7/8″ white squares

Third frame:  four 3.1/2″ wide strips of butterfly fabric 36.1/2″ long

Final frame/border:  two 2.1/2″ gold strips 40.1/2″ long, two 2.1/2″ gold strips 42.1/2″ long

How to make flying geese units

How to make flying geese units

Making the flying geese units

Don’t be worried about making the flying geese – they are really very simple.  Place a floral rectangle right side up.  Place a white square on one side of the rectangle with right side down.  Sew a seam along the diagonal. Trim the excess fabric about 1/4″ above the seam and discard the two triangles.  Flip the remaining white triangle up so that it completes the rectangle and press.

Place another white square right side down on the other side of the rectangle.  It will overlap the first white triangle.  Sew a seam along the diagonal again.  Make sure that it’s the correct diagonal so that your two seams meet in the top middle of the rectangle.  Trim the excess triangles 1/4″ from the seam again and press the remaining white triangle up so that it completes the rectangle.

Make four cornerstones

Make four cornerstones

Make fifty eight of these.  Most of them will be sewn together in rows to make the second frame for the butterfly medallion quilt, but take four pairs of the flying geese and sew them together to make diamond in a square blocks.  These will be the cornerstones.  They will need trimming to make them 4.1/2″ squares.

Each individual flying geese unit should be trimmed to 4.1/2″ by 2.1/2″.

Assembling the butterfly medallion quilt

Sew the first frame to the panel

Sew the first frame to the panel

This quilt is made by working out from the middle.  Place the floral panel down first and sew the two 24.1/2″ lengths of trellis fabric to the sides.  Then sew the 22.1/2″ lengths to the top and bottom.

Sew the flying geese units to the sides

Sew the flying geese units to the sides

Sew the flying geese units together in two lengths of fourteen units and two lengths of eleven units.

Sew a fourteen unit length to each side of the quilt.  Note that the triangles need to point upwards on the left hand side of the quilt but downwards on the right hand side of the quilt.

This will give you a complete frame of flying geese following each other clockwise around the quilt.

Make sure that the flying geese follow each other

Make sure that the flying geese follow each other

Sew one cornerstone to each end of both of the eleven unit lengths.  Sew one to the top and one to the bottom of the quilt.  On the top of the butterfly medallion quilt the triangles should be pointing from left to right while on the bottom of the quilt they will be pointing from right to left.

Third frame of the medallion quilt

Third frame of the medallion quilt

The next frame is completely straightforward.  Sew one length of the butterfly fabric to each side of the quilt and then sew one to the top and one to the bottom.  I had to check my measurements on this because I felt that all these strips should not be the same size, but in fact it works as long as you sew the sides first.

Border for the butterfly medallion quilt

Border for the butterfly medallion quilt

Quilt border

I’m not sure whether the final frame counts as a frame or a border, but sew a 42.1/2″ length of the gold fabric to the sides and a 40.1/2″ length to the top and bottom of the quilt.

You’ll have noticed that for this quilt I have always added the sides first and then the top and bottom.  This is unusual for me – usually I add the top and bottom first.  In fact, they are both perfectly acceptable methods – the important point is to be consistent.  Adding the sides first is known as ‘long horizontal’ while adding the top and bottom first is known as ‘long vertical’ – just in case you are interested!

The back of the butterfly medallion quilt

The back of the butterfly medallion quilt

That completes the butterfly medallion quilt.  It is now ready for layering, quilting and binding. You can find full details of these steps towards the bottom of the quilting for beginners section.

You’ll be astonished to hear that Minnie and I have actually completed this medallion quilt.  The quilting shows up better on the back than on the front.  What I did was stitch in the ditch around each frame and then added a few lines of a flower design.

Craftsy

Comments

1. Rose, thank you for another very pretty quilt. I have added the pattern to my growing wad of things to do! thank you very much.
    All best wishes to you.

• Thanks, Janny. It’s such a simple quilt to make – and I hope that it will make beginner quilters feel a bit more confident with flying geese.

2. Deborah Andrews says:

What a beautiful quilt. I love the color combinations and the pattern. Thanks so much for sharing.

Debbie…(0;

3. Myra Tilsley says:

Another lovely quilt and what beautiful fabric. Thank you for the information about the long horizontal and long vertical. I had realised from your video that I was putting mine on differently – glad there are two ways of doing some things!

• Thanks, Myra. Actually there are always different ways of doing things. I try to find the most simple way, but never forget that it is your project so you can choose to do things whichever way feels right to you.

4. Rose, it is exciting to see you use so many fabrics; you are making a truly lovely quilt.

• Thanks, Jacqui. Fabric Freedom tend to have about five or so fabrics in each range, so it’s a great way of using all of them.

5. Cecilia Alcantar says:

Oh, I like what I see in this lovely quilt! I am planning on making a lap quilt and know this one will be just the answer to my quest.
    Thanks so much. I wish you a continued good weekend! How’s Minnie???
    Cecilia Alcantar

• Hi Cecilia. It’s a lovely easy one to make – as long as you don’t mind flying geese. Minnie and I are flying – I’ll try and do a post next week showing some of what we’ve been up to.

6. Rose a lovely “happy” quilt.
    Thank you. It’s great you and Minnie are getting on.
    Did you take photos at the quilt show?
    Hopefully I’ll get there next year.

• Hi Mary. I took loads of photos, but can’t show too much on the website for copyright reasons. You can read my account of the day here. It’s definitely worth a visit if you can get there – quilts from all over the world.

7. Wow! This is a real dazzler. Like looking into a flower garden. I love it! You are one heck of a talented lady and I envy your technical expertise. My quilt is nearly finished I am in the process of sewing the blocks in the ditch. I’ll see if I can send you a photo with the blue square. It was a job but I persevered and finally got it done. Do you think I’m advanced enough to make this beautiful quilt?

• Hi Claire. You’re a star – my apologies again. I’d love to see the quilt – I’m sure you made a great job of replacing the square. With regards to this quilt, why don’t you try and make a flying geese unit. If you can do that, then the rest of the quilt is just sewing strips around a central panel, so you’d have no problems with it.

8. Angela Wagstaff says:

Hi Rose, lovely material, going to try the flying geese!!!
    Was trying to order quilt kit but it would only let me order it with wadding and backing, is this correct or am I doing something wrong!!

Angela

• Hi Angela. Thanks so much for letting me know – I had set something up wrong but have changed it now. You should be able to click for the right quilt kit.

• Angela Wagstaff says:

Hi Rose, sorry but still having problems ordering.

• Hi Angela. I am so sorry – what is happening when you try to order? I have your address from previous orders so I could send you the kit and you can send me a cheque if you would like. I’d really appreciate knowing what’s going wrong when you order, though, in case others are having the same problem.

• Angela Wagstaff says:

Hi Rose
            Sorry to be so long getting back to you, been at Edinburgh festival today.
            When I order and try to go into cart it directs me to ekm power page and tells me to close browser and try again, which I have done to no effect.
            If you send me kit, I will send payment. Many thanks and sorry for causing trouble.

• Hi Angela. I’m so sorry that you’ve had these problems. Thanks for letting me know – I’ll try and fix the problem. Quilt kit will be in the post to you tomorrow morning. I hope you enjoyed the Edinburgh festival – it’s on my bucket list, but I haven’t been there yet.

9. Teresa Purvis says:

Hi Rose, this is another lovely quilt, I love the fabric and you’ve done another excellent job! I always enjoy seeing your quilts.

10. Susan erdle says:

Hi Rose…the quilt is lovely, I hope I can find that panel, looks like a garden.thanks for the idea, I’m going to try the flying geese again.
    Sue

11. Hello Rose, I was really excited to see this lovely quilt pattern today, as last week I was thinking about how I could use my Japanese fabric with a one direction pattern, without cutting up all the beautiful scenery on it! With our recent freezing weather here in Melbourne, I also need a lap quilt! While I haven’t done much quilting etc., I do love the flying geese, as well, for one of the frames.
    Thank you so much for this beautiful pattern, which has come at the best time for me. I’m also grateful for the full quilting instructions as well.
    I hope you have a really special weekend, doing things that you love the most!
    Kind regards, Christine.

• Hi Christine. Sounds like this quilt pattern came at just the right time for you. It shouldn’t take too long to make, so you can benefit from the warmth soon! Our weather is the opposite of yours, so I am having to hold quilts to one side when I’m sewing the binding on so that they don’t warm me up at all.

12. Sandra Kerrod says:

Hi Rose,
    I ordered the quilt yesterday and it arrived today. Excellent service. Looking forward to starting the quilt, but it’ll have to wait till I finish a couple of other projects off.
    I’ll send you photos when I’ve finished the quilt
    Sandra Kerrod

• Hi Sandra. I’m glad the quilt kit arrived safely. Thanks for letting me know. You can never be sure with the post. Yes, I’d love to see the photo when you’ve finished it.

13. carole yoxall says:

Hi Rose,I love the flying geese,a perfect border for the beautiful panel.
    I don’t think you can have to many lap quilts here in England,especially in winter when the weather is grim and the ” creaking ” knees need a warm hug [giggle]. Great to hear Minnie has completed her first quilt,I really enjoy hearing and seeing her progress.A pat on the back to you both for doing so well.Hope you are having a great weekend Carole x

• Thanks, Carole. I also like lap quilts because they go together so quickly. The weather is so gorgeous at the moment that it’s easy to forget that winter is coming! Luckily I have my trip to Zimbabwe to look forward to before the cold weather arrives.

14. Hola buenos dias!!!
    Gracias, está muy bonito.