Sunny Lanes Quilt Pattern

Sunny lanes quilt

Sunny lanes quilt

The Sunny Lanes quilt pattern is another example of just how useful the four patch unit/half square triangle combination is.  I have made it using Nancy Page’s sunny lanes quilt block.  She was another of the quilting columnists nearly a century ago who used to publish quilt patterns in newspapers and magazines.  The quilt measures 42″ square and I have used 5/8 yard each of blue and red, with 3/8 yard each of turquoise and white fabrics.

The red and blue are my dark colours, with turquoise medium and the white obviously the light.  The traditional sunny lanes colouring is to use two medium with one dark and one light fabric.  You can see how that looks here.

Sunny lanes quilt block

Sunny lanes quilt block

Cutting requirements

2.1/2″ squares:  sixty four each of red and blue – but don’t cut these yet as you can save time with strip piecing

4.7/8″ squares:  sixteen each in turquoise and white

2.1/2″ strips of fabric cut across the width of fabric:  four each in red and blue for the first and third borders

1.1/2″ strips of fabric cut across the width of fabric:  two each in turquoise and white for the second border

Make half square triangles

Make half square triangles

Making the sunny lanes quilt block

Make half square triangle units with the 4.7/8″ squares.  Place a turquoise and a white square with right sides together and mark a line along the diagonal.  Sew a 1/4″ seam either side of the marked line and cut along the line to produce two half square triangle units for each pair of squares.  These are now 4.1/2″ squares.

Strip piecing saves time

Strip piecing saves time

Strip piecing is a good way to save time when making the four patch units.  Sew together a 2.1/2″ strip of red and blue fabrics along the length.  Press and then cut the panel at 2.1/2″ intervals.  This gives you strips 2.1/2″ wide by 4.1/2″ long.

Make four patch units

Make four patch units

Place two of these pairs of squares together, rotating one of them so that the blue squares are diagonally opposite each other.  Sew these together to make four patch units.  You will need thirty two of these for the sunny lanes quilt pattern.

Sunny lanes quilt block layout

Sunny lanes quilt block layout

Lay the squares out in four rows of four.  There are two four patch units and two half square triangles in each row, just placed in a different order – altogether there’s one in each corner and four in the middle of the block.

The half square triangle units are placed in pairs on the edge of the quilt block – place them so that the two white triangles are together in each pairing, forming lines running up from left to right.

Sew the squares together across each row and then sew the rows to each other to complete the sunny lanes quilt block.  You will need four of these blocks.

The sunny lanes quilt pattern

Sew the blocks together in two pairs and then sew the pairs of blocks together.  Rotate the blocks so that the white stripes form an upward V for the top pair and a downward V for the bottom pair.  That’s how you get that lovely diamond outline in the sunny lanes quilt pattern.

First two borders of the sunny lanes quilt pattern

First two borders of the sunny lanes quilt pattern

Quilt borders

I have done something slightly different in the border, just for a change.  The first border is made using 2.1/2″ strips of red fabric.  You will need two lengths of 32.1/2″ for the top and bottom and two lengths of 36.1/2″ for the sides.  For the second border I decided to use strips of turquoise and white.  They are 1.1/2″ wide.  For the top and bottom cut four 9.1/2″ lengths of each fabric.  Sew them together alternating between the two colours – two turquoise and two white for each border strip.  For the sides you will need to cut four 10″ lengths of each fabric.  Make two strips of two turquoise and two white strips and sew them to the sides.

For the third border I have used 2.1/2″ strips of blue.  You will need two lengths of 38.1/2″ for the top and bottom and two lengths of 42.1/2″ for the sides.

It is now five years since I launched this website which seems extraordinary.  I have met so many lovely quilters all round the world and have learned so much – it’s been a marvellous time and I can’t thank you enough for your support and encouragement.  To celebrate this milestone I am offering you a 10% discount on anything in the store – that’s fabric, kits, dvd’s, books, haberdashery – anything.  Use coupon code  LOVEP  to claim your discount now.  This special offer is open from now until 6pm (British time) on Thursday July 31st.  You can visit the shop here.

Craftsy

Comments

1. Rose – thank you for sharing. What a lovely cheerful pattern this is.

2. Marilyn Larkin says:

Dear Rose, thank-you for the sunny lanes quilt pattern, it is always interesting to see it in an alternate colourway too. You work so hard to present all your ideas and plans to us. Congratulations on your 5th anniversary. You and your website have become an institution to me and I suspect to so many quilters all around the world. Take a bow whilst I applaud. Enjoy the sunny weather.
    Cheers from Marilyn in Australia

• Thank you, Marilyn. That’s really kind of you. Always good to hear from you.

• carole yoxall says:

Hi Marilyn,I think you have put into words what so many of us would like to say. Many many congratulations to Rose on your 5th anniversary,a truly kind inspirational lady.

You have again come up with a beautiful geometric pattern that looks so difficult to make but so easy after you have shown us the way to make the quilt doable.
    I have removed the red square and replaced it with a blue one. It was a mistake because I’m having a hard time putting everything back together. I had to baste the square and am now ready to sew it. Wish me luck.
    Enjoy your weekend in Birmingham.

• Thanks, Claire. Glad you like the quilt pattern. I guess you’ll be glad to finish the quilt you’re working on – all the parts never seem to go back quite the same. I’m speaking from experience as I’ve often had to unpick huge areas of quilt. Good luck with finishing it off.

• I forgot to congratulate you on your 5th Anniversary. I found you 2 years (I thought it was longer) ago on YouTube. I wanted to know how to sandwich a quilt with spray adhesive. I followed your instructions and left following comment which I copied and pasted.

This is great! This method saves so much time. Thank you for sharing it. I love your Website and am eager to receive your newsletters.

• Hi Claire. Was it really only two years ago! We seem to have been corresponding for longer than that. It’s always good to hear from you.

4. Jo Williams says:

Congratulations on your 5th year and thanks for all of your lovely quilt patterns, I copy all of them for later use. I have made some of them. Very nice. Thanks

5. Rose,
    Such a perfect name for a lovely pattern.
    I’m glad you and Minnie are getting on so well.
    Congratulations on your fifth anniversary.
    Excuse my ignorance in asking this do you live close Birmingham?
    Will you be having a stand at the Quilt Festival?
    I was hoping to get there this year but as usual life had other plans.
    Rose it’s a pleasure to get your emails.

• Hi Mary. Thanks for your kind comments. Yes, I don’t live far from Birmingham – it took me a bit less than 2 hours to get to the Cotton Patch today and that was in fairly heavy traffic. I’ll definitely be going to the Festival of Quilts, but only as a visitor.

6. Yet another lovely quilt Rose. Congratulations on your five year anniversary. I always look forward to Fridays with much anticipation, wondering what you will have to share with us and you don’t disappoint. Thank you for all your lovely designs Rose.

• Hi Jennie. Thanks so much. I think that I’m really lucky to be able to do something that I love every day!

7. Cecilia Alcantar says:

Hi Rose, This pattern reminds me of summers that I spent on the farm with my Aunt. She lived out in the country, with open windows letting in the fresh air & sunshine . The fragrant sunshine freshness of her linen was so wonderful. Her bed had a similar quilt to this one. This quilt pattern truly evokes fond summers that I remember well! I will work to try making this one. Thank you. Sincerely,Cecilia Alcantar

• Hi Cecilia. Now that sounds like a real memory quilt – and you’ve also made me feel that I want to go and make a few more lavender bags to trap some of summer for later in the year.

8. Shirley says:

Congratulations on your 5th anniversary. Well done once again on a super looking quilt. Enjoy your trip to Birmingham and your next lesson with Minnie. Keep up the good work and keep those quilts coming.

Rose,
    Congratulations on your five year anniversary. Love the quilt pattern. As always you make it look so easy.
    Glad Minnie is not giving you problems. Good Luck on your next lesson.
    Enjoy yourself at Birmingham .
    Our weather has been quite comfortable but the heat and humidity are coming back on Sunday.
    Thank you for all your designs, and one day I will make some of them.

• Hi Sandra. Thanks for your comments. I certainly learned a lot at Birmingham. Luckily the room that we were in managed to stay cool – it’s incredibly hot in the UK at the moment.

10. Nola Strang says:

Thank you Rose for the many quilt designs you have given us. I absolutely love them and you make them so easy to do even though they may look difficult. Again Thank you!

11. Elizajane says:

Congratulations on your 5th anniversary I enjoy watching for your new quilt each Friday and hope to finish one soon. Hope you have/had a great time in Birmingham and you and Minnie have many joyful times together.
    From Montreal Canada.

• Thanks, Elizajane. The workshop was really helpful so now I’m raring to try new things out with Minnie.

12. Carol Smith says:

Wow Rose what a find you are, I have only just joined your happy band and I’m loving it. Living in Spain there are a few people who quilt, but language can be a problem, some fair English teachers , but your clear descriptions are outstanding. Thankyou

• Hi Carol. Thank you so much for your kind comments. I love visiting Spain – my brother lives in Teruel. I’m glad that you find the tutorials helpful.

13. Hi Rose, Congratulations on your 5th Anniversary. I love your Website, it’s so helpful with all the information you give us. Hope you had a good time in Birmingham. Lets hope you can teach Minnie some new tricks!
    Yet again, another lovely summer quilt you have done this week for us to try out. It’s really lovely and I love the colours you have done it in, Well done Rose.

• Thanks so much, Jean, and thanks for all your support. Birmingham was really helpful and informative, so I feel a lot more confident now. The room where I keep Minnie gets really hot during the day so I’m having to do quilting very early each morning.

14. Congratulations on your five year anniversary! Thank you so much for all ofthe wonderful patterns, instructions, and tips you’ve provided. And it’s been great fun reading about your adventures with Minnie, so please keep them coming.

• Thanks for your kind comments, Beth. I’m glad you enjoy the website – I love producing the quilt patterns.

15. Hi Rose. Glad you enjoyed Birmingham also congratulations on 5th anniversary. You really are dedicated to your quilting and it amazes me how you come up with a variety of patterns, sew them all and video tutorials and still make time to read and reply to us all. Thank you.

• Thanks, Dianne. It doesn’t feel like work to me – I consider myself lucky to be able to quilt all day long.

16. Hello Rose from Hermann, Missouri. USA
    We love getting your tutorials on friday.
    We share your ideas with other quilters.
    Congratulations on your 5th anniversary.