Arts and Crafts Quilt

Arts and crafts quilt

Arts and crafts quilt

This is a Fabric Freedom quilt pattern designed to showcase another beautiful fabric range.  It looks complex, but as so often it can be broken down into small steps which are not nearly as difficult as they look.  The more you look, the more you see in the design. The quilt measures 60″ square and I have used 1.1/4 yards of white fabric, 3/4 yard of the green fabric in block one and 1 yard of the patterned fabric in block one.  For block two I have used 1/2 yard each of the red fabric, the patterned fabric and the small red flowers fabric.

Cutting requirements for quilt block one

6.1/2″ squares:  twenty six in the patterned fabric

4.7/8″ squares:  twenty six in the green fabric

4.1/4″ squares:  fifty two white

Cutting requirements for quilt block two

3.1/2″ squares:  forty eight in red patterned fabric

3.7/8″ squares: forty eight white

4.3/4″ squares:  twenty four each in red and red/green fabric – but don’t cut these yet as they can be made with strip piecing.

Cut the white squares along the diagonal

Cut the white squares along the diagonal

Place the triangles around the square

Place the triangles around the square

Making quilt block one

For the first quilt block you need to make a diamond in a square – this is done by adding a triangle to each side of a square.

Cut the 4.1/4″ white squares along one diagonal to form triangles and place one triangle along each edge of the green square.  These can be sewn on in two pairs.

Sew triangles to opposite sides

Sew triangles to opposite sides

Sew the remaining triangles

Sew the remaining triangles

With right sides together, sew the first pair of triangles to opposite sides of the square.  The triangle edges are longer than the edges of the square and will extend beyond the square when you sew them.  Make sure that the triangle edges stick out by the same amount on each end of the square.

Press the seam allowance away from the square.  You can trim the corners at this stage but I personally prefer to leave them there and do all the trimming at the end.

Sew the remaining two triangles to the square, press and trim the resulting square.  It should be a 6.1/2″ square now.

You will need twenty six of these diamond in a square blocks.

Make a four patch unit

Make a four patch unit

Quilt block one complete

Quilt block one complete

Sew each 6.1/2″ patterned square together with a diamond in square.  Make a four patch unit with two pairs of squares, placing them so that the patterned squares are diagonally opposite each other.

This is a completed quilt block one. Make thirteen of these.

Sew strips of fabric together

Sew strips of fabric together

Sew the pairs of squares together

Sew the pairs of squares together

Making quilt block two

The second quilt block is similar in that it forms a diamond in a square, but the middle of the block is a four patch unit rather than a single square.  Strip piecing is the quickest way to make this four patch.  Sew together 4.3/4″ strips of red fabric and patterned fabric along the length.  Cut these panels at 4.3/4″ intervals to make strips that are made of a square each of the red and the patterned.

Sew two of these pairs of squares together, placing them so that the red squares are diagonally opposite each other.  Make twelve of these.

Cut the white squares along the diagonal

Cut the white squares along the diagonal

Make the large triangle

Make the large triangle

For the triangles to go on the edges of the four patch unit I came up with a super duper idea using strip piecing that would speed things up.  The only problem was that it didn’t work and I got myself in a right muddle.  So, I shall show you the simplest and most obvious way of making these triangles.

Cut the 3.7/8″ white squares along one diagonal to make two triangles.  Sew two triangles on two edges of the 3.1/2″ patterned square.  Note that the right angled corners (the square corners) are on the bottom left of both the triangles.  This will give you one large triangle.  Make forty eight of these.

Sew a triangle to each edge of the four patch

Sew a triangle to each edge of the four patch

Match the seams

Match the seams

Sew two triangles to two opposite edges of the four patch unit – just the same as you did for the diamond in a square in the first quilt block.  Press and then sew the remaining two triangles to the other two edges of the four patch.

When you are sewing the triangles on, match the corner of the square with the seam between the squares on the four patch as shown on the right.

Quilt block two complete

Quilt block two complete

That completes quilt block two and you will need twelve of these.  If you are using a directional fabric, as I have, then you need to decide whether you want the corner squares all to face in the same direction or not.  I have made them so that two have the lines horizontal and two have the lines vertical.  This was achieved by sewing all the squares the same way when I made the triangles.  If you wanted to have them all  horizontal then you would need to rotate half the squares before you sewed them into the triangles.  (I hope that makes sense).

Alternate the quilt blocks

Alternate the quilt blocks

Assembling the Arts and Crafts quilt

It is a simple job now to assemble the quilt.  You have twenty five quilt blocks and they are sewn together in five rows of five blocks.  Begin the first row with quilt block one and then alternate the blocks across the row.

Begin row two with quilt block two and then alternate the blocks across the row.  This way you will get the quilt blocks alternating across each row and also down each column.  Sew the blocks together across each row and then sew the rows to each other.

This completes the arts and crafts quilt top.  It is now ready for layering, quilting and binding, full details of which can be found towards the bottom of the beginner quilting page.

I have made up a couple of quilt kits for this quilt – all the fabric required to make the quilt top at a discount of 10% from the price of the fabrics if they were bought individually.  First come, first served so do take a look at this special offer.

To see how I quilted the Arts and Crafts quilt, click here.

Today I am having a complete break from quilting – I’m off to the Hay Literary Festival this afternoon to see talks by Johnny Vegas, Helena Attlee and Al Murray.  It should be a really amusing afternoon – and I hope the area isn’t as wet and muddy as it was the day that I went last year.
Craftsy

Comments

1. Monica Powell says:

Thank you so much Rose – another beautiful quilt idea. Enjoy your day it sounds like a lot of fun.
    Monica

2. Germaine Madsen says:

Dearest Rose,

What a beautiful and complex but simple quilt! I have to say that your video on how to make this quilt is outstanding. You have explained in so well that I think I will make this quilt my fall project.

3. Elizabeth says:

Thank you Rose. My goodness, when you see a picture of the quilt it looks awfully hard to make but when you break it down it really isn’t difficult at all. I wish more people would do this as it makes it easier for those that are still new to quilting. It is a quilt that can be made any size which is also nice. I look forward to making this pattern. Thanks again.

• Thanks, Elizabeth. You’re right – you can just add extra rows or columns to increase the size of the quilt.

4. Oh Rose, that is just lovely, you have got it so ‘right’! I think it is almost Spring into Summer with those colours. I love it. All of your quilts are great, but sometimes, the pattern and fabric hit more than others and this is definitely one of those. Thank you Rose. I hope you have an interesting day at Hay!

• Thanks, Jennie. I think Fabric Freedom have definitely come up trumps with this fabric range. Yes, thanks Hay was lovely apart from the rain – it was torrential!

5. pat volk says:

I really like the look of this new quilt. If I hadn’t seen how you make difficult patterns look easy, I might not have kept reading. But I did and have put it on my list of “really like” patterns to try in the future. Thanks again for being such a good teacher. pat v

6. Margaret says:

Hi Rose
    Another lovely quilt and such pretty colours. Enjoy the literary festival.

7. Debra Friendly (Canada) says:

Rose – I appreciate the change from blue – although I do like blue! I think this quilt top has a very pleasant look.
    The link to the video wasn’t working but my husband showed me a work around. Not sure that it isn’t my computer but thought I’d let you know in case others are having the same problem. I’ll be saving this one to Favourites!

• Thanks, Debra. Glad you like the quilt. Someone else had a problem with the video a while ago and she told me that she was able to get the video by double clicking on the link.

8. Margaret says:

Beautiful quilt Rose, love the colours

9. Rose, This is a very beautiful pattern.
    Your tutorial, as usual, is excellent.
    Thank you!

10. Hi…love your patterns and tutorials!
    I’d like to see a button to press & save the pattern on my computer.

J.

• Hi Judy. Towards the bottom of each page there is a small green box that offers the option of printing and I’m fairly sure you could save from there as well.

• Thanks! I clicked on the green box…I had to go to your website, as there wasn’t a green box in the email I received…and I was able to print the pattern AND save it on my computer.

Judy

11. Hi Rose, Another beautiful quilt you have done, and I love the fabric’s you used. The pattern looks easy to do. Thanks Rose x

12. Mrs Rosemary Harding says:

Hi Rose thank you making things look so easy to do, I like this new pattern.
    You such a wonderful teacher, I love the fabric you have used.
    Would it work with any combination of fabric as I have got some fabric that I would like to use to make a quilt for a dear friend.
    I have been looking in books etc… Then I saw yours today.
    I have different shades of purple, would it work with these. Thanks once again Rose x x x

• Thanks, Rosemary. Yes, I’m sure the quilt pattern would look great in purple shades. I’m glad you like it.

Another beautiful quilt. Love the bright colors. You sure have a way with geometrics.
    My grandniece had a baby boy yesterday. Your sailboat pattern looked easy and I thought I’d try my hand at making it. I saw it on your list of free patterns a couple of weeks ago but it’s no longer on your list. I even searched for it on YouTube (LQ&S) but no luck. Did you remove it from your list?

• Hi Claire. Congratulations! That makes you a great great aunt, does it? Not sure which pattern you mean – I’ll have a think and email you if I come across it.

I found the pattern. It was in Quilt Block Patterns. It’s a picture of 2 sailboat coasters. Copied/pasted “The sailboat quilt block could be used in a baby quilt, but I chose to layer, quilt and bind each one separately so that they can be used as coasters.”

• Oh yes – I was thinking of that one as a coaster and had forgotten that bit about making it into a quilt.

I love the colors in this quilt and as always you make the difficult seem very easy. Think I will try this one after I finish my baby quilt. It is almost done except the binding.
    Hope you had a fun time at your shows.
    Have a good weekend also.

16. Rose
    this is beautiful, it looks complicated, even though you have made it look easy.
    Thanks for sharing, one for the to do list

• Thanks, Angela. Definitely a quilt pattern that needs breaking down into small steps. Glad you like it.

17. Elizajane says:

Hi Rose, This Pattern is lovely , quite different from your usual, but definitely a save for me, In the middle of selling my house so quilting has been put aside, can’t wait to set up in a new house. Thank you for the great pattern.

18. Ella Wilson says:

Hi Rose just thought I could suggest a easy way for you get the 4 triangles without cutting them single lay …. Cut out the size of square one in pattern NAND one in contrast ,put them face to face sew all the way round mark corner to corner and then cut only that fabric not the one below press open and then you your square with the triangles joined,