Millers Daughter Quilt Pattern

Millers daughter quilt

Millers daughter quilt

The millers daughter quilt block is one of those blocks that shows a pretty star on its own but also gives some lovely secondary designs when you sew several of them together.  The quilt measures 54″ square and I have used 1.1/2 yards of white fabric, 1.1/4 yards of pink and 1 yard of blue.  The quilt blocks are 10″ square finished size and I have used twenty five of them.

Cutting requirements for the millers daughter quilt

2.1/2″ squares:  two hundred white, one hundred blue, one hundred and twenty four pink.  I know that this sounds a lot, but don’t cut them yet as they can be made with strip piecing

2.7/8″ squares:  one hundred each in pink and white

For the border:  five 2.1/2″ strips of blue fabric cut across the width of fabric

Make half square triangles

Make half square triangles

Completed millers daughter quilt block

Completed millers daughter quilt block

Making the millers daugher quilt block

Make half square triangles with the 2.7/8″ squares.  Place a pink and a white square with right sides together.  Mark a line along one of the diagonals and sew a 1/4″ seam either side of the marked line.  Cut along the line to produce two half square triangles.  Press the seam allowance towards the pink and trim the corners of the squares.

Strips of blue, pink, blue

Strips of blue, pink, blue

You can save a bit of time by using strip piecing for some of the squares.  Sew together 2.1/2″ strips of blue, pink, blue to make one panel and also sew together 2.1/2″ strips of pink, blue, pink to make another panel.

Cut 2.1/2" strips

Cut 2.1/2″ strips

Cut these panels at 2.1/2″ intervals.  This will give you strips of fabric containing three squares and measuring 2.1/2″ wide by 6.1/2″ long.  These can be used to make the nine patch units in the middle of the quilt block.  Make two panels of pink, blue, pink and one panel of blue, pink, blue.  These will give you the strips of squares for up to sixteen of the blocks.  For the remainder you will just have to sew the squares together individually as you’ll see below.

Layout of the quilt block

Millers daugher quilt block layout

Millers daughter quilt block layout

Lay the squares out in five rows of five squares.  There’s a cream square in each corner and half way along each edge.  The remaining squares around the outside of the quilt block are half square triangles.  In order to be sure that you place these correctly, you may find it helps to note that the cream square with two triangles along each edge make a bowl shape with the base of the bowl (the thinnest part) on the inside and the top of the bowl on the outside.  In the middle of the quilt block you have three of the strips of squares made above with strip piecing.

Quilt block made with individual squares

Quilt block made with individual squares

Once these strips have been used, you can lay out the remainder of the blocks using individual squares as shown in the photo.  The layout is exactly the same but just takes a little longer to sew.

Sew the squares together across each row and then sew the rows to each other to complete the millers daughter quilt block.  Make twenty five of these.

Quilt border

Quilt border

Millers daughter quilt border

I have used 2.1/2″ strips of blue fabric for the border.  You will need two lengths of 50.1/2″ for the top and bottom and two lengths of 54.1/2″ for the sides.

That completes the millers daughter quilt top.  It is now ready for layering, quilting and binding.  Full details of these steps can be found towards the bottom of the beginner quilting section.

I’m working on a quilt that includes a landscape section at the moment and last week I tried painting on fabric for the sky section.  If you’ve ever thought of trying this, you can see how I got on here.

I hope you have a wonderful and relaxing Easter weekend.

Rose
Quilting Supplies at Craftsy.com

Comments

1. Thank you Rose and happy Easter to you and your family

2. Estelle Greenberg says:

I enjoy your website very much, you have the best beginner tutorials. Thank you and congratulations on your son’s engagement!

3. Debbie J. says:

Hi Rose,
    Thanks for the easy-to-follow tutes. I’ve never heard of this one, but I sure will give it a try very soon! Soooo pretty!

4. Monica Powell says:

Thank you so much for the super pattern Rose and congratulations on your son’s engagement. I hope the weather will hold for your barbeque and may you and your family have a blessed Easter. Enjoy the weekend together.

• Thanks so much, Monica. We had a lovely barbecue with my father at lunchtime and the sun stayed out for us!

5. Good morning, Rose – really enjoy waking up to my cup of tea and your weekly update on Fridays! This is a beautiful pattern – I will definitely make it. I’m struggling to “convert” an old pattern (Road to Oklahoma) that originally used plastic templates right now, so I really appreciate the tips on strip piecing.

Have a wonderful Easter! Annie

• Hi Annie. Yes, you could definitely speed up the piecing on Road to Oklahoma with strip piecing for the four patch in the middle. That’s another lovely quilt block that uses just squares and half square triangles.

6. This pattern is just what I was looking for. I have promised my daughter (who got me started in quilting) a red and black quilt. I am going to change the name of the quilt and call it Mother and Daughter. I will use the red and black for her on half of the quilt and red and white for me on the other half. I can’t wait to get started. Which I will do as soon as we get moved and I get my new sewing room set up. Hopefully I will find a lot of happy quilters in our new location in Wisconsin, USA. Looking forward to many more of your great patterns.

• Hi April. That sounds like a beautiful quilt. I’m sure your daughter will be thrilled with it. I hope the move goes well for you – best wishes in your new home.

7. Jeanne Marie says:

Good day Rose I just love the quilt you have shown us all and i am going to get busy with making one ASAP I hope you are going to have a wonderful Easter with family and friends, take care and happy GOOD Friday there in England. Yes I miss it there,,wish I was there,,take care, Jeanne Marie Wallace,,,,HUGS and Cheers xox

• Thanks, Jeanne Marie. I’m glad you like the quilt pattern. You would definitely have loved it in England today – bright sunshine and plenty of daffodils and tulips giving plenty of colour. Have a lovely Easter.

It’s hard to choose when you come up with so many beautiful patterns. I just finished making a baby quilt to give to my grand niece for her baby shower. I followed your Baby Crib quilt pattern. It took me 2 1/2 months ( and a lot of unpicking) to make (I used flannel fabric) but I’m happy to report that I did a pretty good job and the mother to be was very pleased with the only quilt she received apart from all the other gifts. Happy Easter, Rose. Congratulations to your son and fiancée Katy. Glad to hear that you are enjoying time with your family.

• Hi Claire. Well done! I’m so pleased that your quilt is finished. I bet your grand niece is thrilled. Flannel is a great idea because it’s so nice and warm for the baby. Happy Easter to you.

9. Jean Ransome says:

Hi Rose, What a lovely easy quilt to make up. I am going to do it this coming week. Congratulations to your Son on his Engagement. Hope you will have a nice weekend with your daughter and I hope the weather will stay sunny without any rain. Happy Easter to you all. Jean

10. Happy Easter Rose, loved the Millers daughter quilt. Congratulations to your son and Katy. Say hi to your daughter. The weather in Liverpool has been gorgeous today but I don’t think it is going to last.
    Have a good weekend
    Trish

11. Roz Thomson says:

Happy Easter, Rose! I like the look of the Miller’s Daughter block and will save it for a rainy day when I’m not too busy. Rxx

12. Congratulations on your son’s engagement to the lovely Katy!!! Great block – thank you for the instructions!!

13. Tina Madison says:

What a beautiful quilt!
    I just wanted you to know that I really appreciate that you share your quilts with everyone.
    I always look forward to your emails!
    I’m from Merrillville, Indiana (USA)

14. Rose this is a very deceptive pattern. It looks difficult
    but your tutorial as usual is very helpful and well detailed.
    I see your fame as a quilter has spread. On Craftsy
    your website has been recommended for a tutorial
    on the shadow box quilt.
    Have a really lovely Easter with your family.
    Hope the weather holds for the barbecue.
    Congratulations on the engagement of your son and Katy.

• Thanks, Mary. The pattern does look quite complex until you break it down into small steps. I didn’t know about the Craftsy recommendation, so thanks for letting me know. Happy Easter – yes, the weather did hold and we had a lovely barbecue yesterday. We had venison burgers and my daughter said ‘I hope I’m not eating Bambi!’

15. Happy Easter Rose!
    Thank you for another fun block!
    Hoping that the sun holds out for your barbeque!
    Liz

Rose,
    Congratulations to your son and his bride to be Katy. Love the quilt.
    Never tried painting on fabric with acrylic paints. I thought you had to use a fabric medium to get what you achieved. Love it. Painting came out quite good. Would love to see your project when it is finished.
    Sun is shining .Hope Spring is finally here. Have a nice Easter weekend, and enjoy your family.

17. Lots going on with you Rose this Easter – enjoy. We had a lovely warm sunny day up here in North East Scotland. Long may it continue. Great pattern Rose. Hope to do this one sometime. Thank you for tutorial.

• Thanks, Dianne. I’m glad you liked the quilt pattern. It sounds as if Scotland was warmer than Shropshire.