Earlier this month I decided to enter the Hillarys Blinds Country Craft Competition and they duly sent me a yard of a beautiful fabric called Wild Poppies. The challenge is to use their fabric in a project and then blog about – just how I love to spend my time anyway! Wish me luck.
I decided straight away that I would fussy cut the fabric to use the poppies in a couple of different ways. Basically I have six triangles in the middle which have two poppy stems and a poppy. I have placed them so that the stems form a star with a poppy at each point of the star. Then I cut seven circles of poppy heads – one to go in the middle of the quilt to cover the point where all the triangles meet and six to go around the outside of the wheel formed by the triangles. Finally for the corners I cut four rectangles and cut the corners off to make curves. I placed one of these across each corner.
Preparing the fabric and the applique
Before I began, I pressed Mistyfuse to the back of the entire piece of poppy fabric. This is a very soft fusible interfacing which just stabilised all the fabric so that it didn’t matter which pieces I cut. Then I took a sixty degree triangle template that looked about the right size and carefully placed it so that the particular poppies that I had chosen were in the centre. After marking the triangle, I cut these out. I had already chosen a cream fabric for the background so I had a 42″ square of this ready for the applique – that measurement obviously chosen because it was the largest square I could use which would be one continuous piece of fabric.
Then I used the remainder of the fabric to cut the seven circles (using a glass for a template) which had to be poppy heads, and four rectangles to be placed across the corners.
Adding applique to the quilt
I marked a small star in the middle of the fabric and placed the triangles so that they all met in the middle on this marking.
Then I placed one circle on top of the point where the triangles met and six circles around the outside of the triangles to complete the wheel shape. The corner rectangles were placed diagonally across the corners.
The biggest problem was making sure that all the applique shapes were the same distance from each other so that the quilt design looks symmetric. Once I was happy with their positions, I could press them all so that they were fused to the background fabric. That made it simple then to sew around the applique edges to keep them in place permanently. I used the blanket stitch on my machine rather than zigzag and it worked really well.
Finishing the applique quilt
I layered the quilt with 46″ squares of backing fabric and wadding and then quilted to secure the three layers together. Broadly I used four or five rounds of echo quilting around the applique shapes and then a little meander quilting to fill in any remaining parts of the quilt.
Finally baste the edge of the quilt, trim the excess wadding and backing fabric and sew the binding in place.
I hope that’s given you some ideas if you have particular sections of fabric that you would like to use in a quilt design.
Here’s the video:
Thanks for visiting my blog.
I hope to see you again soon.